Safety Issues?

Debbit

In the course of a conversation last week, I had a person tell me that my toyota dolphin was the most unsafe RV we could have bought. I said it has the 1 ton rear axel, and it felt stable and safe while driving to me. She said the whole thing was unbalanced and had more safety issues than the axels. I've done some research, and nothing really jumps out at me, but maybe I'm missing it.

So aside from the rear axel reputation, are there other things to worry about? I suppose a slower vehicle is somewhat of a hazard, I've heard overloading is problematic, but is there any truth to her comment?

And she got this information where? How many RV's has she owned and what is her safety education. I don't believe I would listen to that person anymore. All Rv's have issues in an accident and I think the Toyota's are as safe or safer than many. If they weren't I think I would have heard a lot more disaster stories in my years on these groups.

Drop that person from your acquaintance list. Not someone I would want to be around

Linda S

Toyota "safety" problems

1. Axle... fix 6bolt axle

2. Brake bias....fix owner adjustment

3. Overweight... owner induced...owner fix

4. 75 series tires... owner ignorance....owner fix

So of these" Problems" the owner is the fix for 75% and Toyota has fixed the other.

Any more problems are common to all RVs and the most common problem is the P/O

Any problem these RVs are going to encounter (like WME said) are going to be owner introduced from ignorance of their rigs. These RVs were made great and with the proper owner, maintenance, and driving methods; are just as safe as anything else on the road. The only problem on these with the axles were the trucks of the earliest years and this problem had a recall on it and there are not many of the "unsafe" old axled trucks on the road.

I'm sure. And when I told her about the two types of axles, I don't think she was aware of that issue. she works in the "rv industry" so may have just been parroting things she's heard. guess I won't be giving her my business. on the topic of weight, how many travel with full fresh water tanks? we usually try to fill up with water when we get there, but it's not always possible.

I'm sure. And when I told her about the two types of axles, I don't think she was aware of that issue. she works in the "rv industry" so may have just been parroting things she's heard. guess I won't be giving her my business. on the topic of weight, how many travel with full fresh water tanks? we usually try to fill up with water when we get there, but it's not always possible.

Look at nicehobbits posts. He just got back from Mexico loaded down with kayak's, kids. bikes and a motorcycle. Yes I fill my water tank before I leave home. I'd rather not deal with a wet muddy hose at the campsite

I suppose there are inherent safety issues. Who are we kidding here? The fact is that were I to have a front end collision, I'd stand a much better chance of walking away unharmed driving a modern Sprinter based RV with airbags. Further, most RVs have the driver positioned higher than other vehicles. We are driving vehicles with a lot of mass, very small front ends, and cabins that are lower than a lot of modern sedans. It's hard for me to imagine a scenario in which I'd not be seriously injured in a front end collision were I traveling any faster than 25 MPH. Then there's the entire side impact facet to the discussion...

All this being said, I also have an incredibly reliable RV that I enjoy tremendously, gets solid fuel economy...and own for less than $7k. I used to drive a '58 Austin Healey that had no seat belts, and flew a '66 Cherokee 235. Life is all about understanding that risk is sometimes a component of enjoyment.

There was a horrible accident in California a couple of years ago. Head-on collision on a 50mph highway. The driver, my girlfriends son's teacher, died, but the other 2 students back in the camper walked away with only minor injuries. The other teacher who was in the front had major injuries but survived. Pictures of the camper it looked completely destroyed. I call that a safe vehicle if anyone can survive an accident like that. Look at the destruction and people lived

http://www.mercedsunstar.com/2012/07/16/2420597/major-crash-reported-on-highway.html

I drive a Toyota RV, ride a motorcycle, enjoy whitewater kayaking and rafting, ride bicycle, rock climb, and enjoy my life. I take the safety precautions that are possible. I wear a helmet while doing all of those activities except driving the RV, I always wear a seat belt, while on the water I always wear my personal floatation device.

I choose to partake in these activities because I enjoy them. I know that there are dangers, but I accept the amount of danger I feel comfortable with. I do not go free climbing (without ropes) because I don't want to die or become disabled. I do not go kayaking on class 5 rapids because I know that I am not good enough to safely do it. I have been hit by cars while on my motorcycle but my helmet was destroyed, not my head.

I drive my RV and give myself extra stopping distance, I go slow around corners, I keep my speed below 60 mph. I don't want to live in a padded room and breath filtered air. I want to LIVE my life. Some people want to be have the illusion of being safe all of the time. I laugh when people say that I participate in dangerous activities and then they live in Chicago (murder capital of the US) and drive around a city with people doing 75 mph less than 5 feet away. Many of those drivers are drunk.

Look at the reputation the Chevy "Corvair" and the Ford "Pinto" had. It didn't stop people from buying them and driving them on a regular basis.
I think the thing that toy owners have in common is we drive slow regardless. Personally, I'm always in a defensive driving mode on the road. Not so much over concern for personal safety, but concern for the hundreds of hours (& $) I've invested in my rig.
The one advantage we all share is the ability to get off the road and rest or even sleep in comfort.
I hit a blizzard on my trip south 15 months ago. Pulled into a mall parking lot, fired up the furnace, cooked a meal then went to bed. Next morning, the roads were plowed, the sun was shining and I was on my way.
Accidents happen. Defensive driving helps to lower those chances.

They are no worse than any small pickup. If a MH is hit side ways the out come is not going to be good at least for the MH they are made light for a reason any class "C" accident is not going to be pretty.

That's a terrible accident. Getting in a head on at higher speed is going to be terrible no matter what vehicle though. Older vehicles without airbags are also less safe. But what I was asking about, and what this person was referring to were things that would cause an accident, bad handling, design flaws, etc. and yes, I suspect she ( like my brother and a few others) had heard about safety recalls concerning the 1/2 ton axle. Anyway, I just wanted to know if I was missing something. I feel like the toy handles well and is stable.

I feel safe in my westfalia too. No airbags, sitting right over the front wheel, with your legs right behind the nose... yet they actually get pretty good crash ratings. For a 30 yr old vehicle.

Driving is just scary, but we do it anyway. We too are really careful, defensive drivers.

The basic cab, chassis and drivetrain on Toyota trucks is exceptionally safe. There are no design flaws I've heard about. But as mentioned earlier it is a small truck. Any similar vehicle would not hold up any better in an accident.

As far as axles go, they're only a problem when foolies and excess weight are added.

You must keep in mind that this is only a small pickup truck. I think they hold up great given that they were never designed to carry a continuous thousand pounds of extra weight. It would be like strapping a baby Grande piano in the back and driving around with it all day.

• 9 years later...

Hello me and my wife are considering buying a mallard motorhome 1986 the propane tank is built in can that still be used im not sure how rusty it is its on a Chevy frame runs good inside is still nice

Thanks for your help randy reed

If your tank is permanently mounted it means it's an ASME tank. They are very strong tanks. Some surface rust isn't going to affect the use. You need to get under there and thoroughly inspect it for possible serious rust issues. If all looks good you can sand it and repaint it. They do not need recertification but propane fill places are more inclined to refill a tank that looks good. Many of our tanks are that old and work fine. This is a Toyota motorhome site but most of the camper stuff applies to any RV. Please check that all the appliances, refrigerator, furnace, air conditioner all work before you buy. Appliances are very expensive.

Linda S