1984 Sunrader Needs Some Work $3900 5 Lug San Diego

sdboltdude

My guess, depending on what's wrong and if you did it all yourself...$7,000.

What on earth are you going to spend 7 grand on. The axles can be found for less than a grand including the wheels. If you can install it yourself your ready to run. Needs some cleaning up inside and worst case scenario a new fridge. Used or refurbished another 3 to 5 hundred.

Linda S

Upholstery is shot. Looks like the front wall/headliner in the bunk is 'challenged'. It might just be my tired eyes, but the cabinets look like they're drooping. Obviously the hood is rusty. No telling what lurks under the carpet.

All stuff I have done without spending a bundle of cash. I do believe the question was if you know what your doing. Yes if you don't all of these things can cost lots.

Linda S

Yeah I saw sagging walls and cabinets, new axle, who knows what mechanical stuff, new upholstery. Once you tear all that out...probably insulation, wiring, possibly a new appliance or two.

Even if you know what you're doing, you'll probably need to contract some of the work out, unless you're one of those people with the skills, tools, and time to do every little thing.

My estimate was going on basically gutting it, and maybe being able to reuse the furnace or fridge or sink or stove, but probably not all of them.

Lately I've noticed landscapers using toyota trucks that look like the old motorhome "cabin" was removed. They end up with a flatbed and rails, with a dual axle 1-ton truck.

So maybe take the shell off and drop it onto a Tundra, then use the old truck for a hauler.

How many of do use that walk through from cab to coach???? I'm to old and not nearly nimble enough to crawl through that space. Did it once to see if I could, never again.

How many of do use that walk through from cab to coach???? I'm to old and not nearly nimble enough to crawl through that space. Did it once to see if I could, never again.

Well you can't really walk through it but I drop my butt into the drivers seat from the coach section all the time. Going the other way is harder

Linda S

Sunline is a Sunline they get all the money it really depends on how you like your stuff to be. Personally I would never stand for that big a mess if the interior is that rough I would bet the rest of the truck is in equal shape. It is not hard to spend a lot of money redoing the interior I just redid the galley in my tow behind it was around $500 just for the galley and I did all the work.. All the foam is shot that stuff is not cheap, it needs a 1 ton rear and when it's all said a done it will most likely will be 2 grand more that it's worth. If I remember correctly the floor is glued to the fiberglass so if that's rotted it's going to be a major project. There was one for sale in my neighbor hood a couple of years ago it had no interior, nothing he wanted 4,500 for it I had a laugh and walked away. It was in his fathers yard and after it was gone (over a year later) I asked his dad how much he got for it $1,100 was the final offer and it had a 1 ton rear.

regarding buying a fixer vs a perfect...

I bought a "good to go" that needed more than the seller disclosed... but we fixed it. $6500 plus $2000 in tires & DIY repairs (so far). At the time I saw what looked like a nearly perfect Itasca and a Sunrader that had asking prices of 9-12k. This was 4 years ago.

In retrospect... pay now or pay later.

I have no regrets on the 84 Dolphin because of it's stark simplicity and reliability. I like the metal roof. The improved later model Sunrader or Itasca would have been nice though. Next time, if there is a next time, I'll probably go for the nicest and newest. Generator and solar and all the goodies.

Everything is a buyoff. If you have the ability(s) to do the majority of the repairs yourself and the unit can be purchased for the right price, I say go for it. At least you will know what parts are new rather then depending on the po to have factual data.

As we all know, these old homes are always needing something done to them.