A Day Of Discovery And Mystery...my New 92 Itasca Miniwinnie Spirit

TikiShack

I bought it from a woman who sold it after the previous owners went back to Australia - after touring our continent. They did some strange things to my beloved coach...like plug up the shower and convert it to a closet. maybe they don't bathe down under?

I have no way of talking to them, and the seller knows nothing. The coach did come with complete history and docs, but it's not enough.

I filled the propane tank, and evidently it was empty though it read over 1/4 tank. All appliances now run on propane except i still don't get a burn in the hot water heater - but that is for another day.

1. The battery box contained a dead die hard. Since the previous owner installed a nice solar panel to charge the battery, I bought a AGM replacement. The battery box has two leads- a fat one and a skinny one. I assume that the skinny one is for the charge controlling circuit- but i don't know that. Do you have a secondary wire on yours, and what is it for?

2. My new AGM battery did nothing. The coach was DOA when i connected it. So I traced the big positive lead, along the frame rearward. Behind the rear tires, it STOPPED. Taped off, and right next to it was a big fat black wire that was grounded. it looks like there was something here, but what???? This lead should go to the main power controller, that switches to the coach battery if you do not have shore power. Right?

3. The old charge controller panel, mounted in the cavity access point behind the fridge, shows power (13 volts) only when the shore power is hooked up. I'm thinking it is useless and I have to rip the crap out and start over. Your thoughts?

4. My coach had docs that looked as though it had air bags. I see none do you? Last pic...

post-7661-0-64693000-1394843807_thumb.jp

post-7661-0-67171400-1394843840_thumb.jp

post-7661-0-16345800-1394843869_thumb.jp

post-7661-0-43086300-1394843905_thumb.jp

most of the water heaters are manual lite . you set the valve to on hold a butten down and light the pilot with a long lighter, the org charge controler does only work with plug in power.

most of the water heaters are manual lite . you set the valve to on hold a butten down and light the pilot with a long lighter, the org charge controler does only work with plug in power.

so are you kidding? I can't believe that the Minnie Winnie did not have the capability to rely on its own coach batteries. Are you sure? even the overview in the manual said that the Power supply / controller switches from shore power supply to batteries when disconnected automatically. I'm just trying to figure out where to hook it up. Thanks for your insight.

I would expect one that new to have a self-igniting water heater, like our '91. Does yours have a generator? that big red wire looks like the one to the generator starter on mine. Also mine has one battery red to the ckt breaker panel, many others ( I think 3) on the ground side of the coach battery. Good luck.
john

I don't think it ever had a genset. All the exterior compartments are original and look too small. I guess I'll try to get a schematic of the power converter. The battery would connect to the output side of the 12v supply line---then on to the individual 12v fused circuits.

I would expect one that new to have a self-igniting water heater, like our '91. Does yours have a generator? that big red wire looks like the one to the generator starter on mine. Also mine has one battery red to the ckt breaker panel, many others ( I think 3) on the ground side of the coach battery. Good luck.

john

Someone upgraded your water heater sometime in the past. A self igniting water heater is not even an option on a 91 or 92 Winnebago Warrior or Spirit

Linda S

My 92 has a manual light water heater. I don't see air bags but your picture is from the rear and the air bags are in front of the axle. Mine are blown out probably from being run flat. Of course you can run the coach from the battery but if someone has cut the main cable I guess that won't be working. I just looked at mine and the positive lead goes directly to the generator. from there another lead goes to the main breaker box. No generator in yours? Mine is in a compartment behind driver's door. I also assume that the secondary lead to the coach battery is for the charging circuit.

The heavy cables from the battery compartment are for starting a generator. Winnebago used kohler 2.5kw genset which had a small footprint.. There was a kit for a gen installation - the kit may have been installed even if the gen never was.

All you need is a deep cycle lead acid battery - there is one hot wire that will run toward the power converter. There should be a wire coming from the engine compartment that brings 12v power to the house battery when the engine is running. As for the panel not showing power without shore panel, if the battery is not properly connected that is exactly what should be happening.

linda s

Someone upgraded your water heater sometime in the past. A self igniting water heater is not even an option on a 91 or 92 Winnebago Warrior or Spirit

Linda S

Sorry, I have a Dolphin and it's an OEM unit, I have the original paperwork on all the appliances. I assumed the Winnies were the same and am wrong (again) :)

john

The heavy cables from the battery compartment are for starting a generator. Winnebago used kohler 2.5kw genset which had a small footprint.. There was a kit for a gen installation - the kit may have been installed even if the gen never was.

All you need is a deep cycle lead acid battery - there is one hot wire that will run toward the power converter. There should be a wire coming from the engine compartment that brings 12v power to the house battery when the engine is running. As for the panel not showing power without shore panel, if the battery is not properly connected that is exactly what should be happening.

Yes, I traced one hot 12v off the house battery to a starting solenoid in the engine compartment, and was wondering what it was for. I could not see how it was a booster for the engine start circuit.

Well, I spent the weekend with the new to me MH. The large wires were clearly for a generator, and the storage compartment is big enough for a small genset i guess. It has a non lockable latch, implying that it was for a generator.

I found my airbags, and they leaked down quickly. One member said his supply lines were toasted, I would wager the bags are old and brittle. Reading about the pros and cons about air lift vs. air shocks. One thing at a time.

I replaced the shower faucet that was removed to create a storage locker in the shower. Pump works, but all three faucets have trickles...wondering if I can replace the stems/ washers, whatever to fix them or have to buy new. I love to save a nickel and keep stuff out of the landfill so i will try to rebuild if feasible.

My water heater works great, it is a manual light. Scary!

The worst thing I discovered other than the airbags was the power center has an issue. I'm posting it separate to get more responses. Thanks, ALL OF YOU!

NO AIRSHOCKS!!!! The Toyota factory shocks mounts are not designed for the added stress. The airbag is the correct answer. Other lesser options include a new hd spring pack, re-arching your springs and adding an extra leaf. If your mechanically inclined goggle ZUK mod

Air shocks will also provide minimal extra lift (~1000lb). Don't waste your money on them. 'Proper' air springs will give 2000lb - 5000lb.

NO AIRSHOCKS!!!! The Toyota factory shocks mounts are not designed for the added stress. The airbag is the correct answer. Other lesser options include a new hd spring pack, re-arching your springs and adding an extra leaf. If your mechanically inclined goggle ZUK mod

Thanks. We have a company here in town that does spring and suspension work as a specialty. Tampa Spring has been doing business for 50 yrs. I'll talk to them and also look at repairing or replacing the air bags i have.

I just bought a new set of Air Lift air bags (ebay) for $225. In addition, I got a compressor set up system for them on Amazon for $171 with a $50 rebate for a new cost of $121.

My total cost (uninstalled) is about $346. The onboard compressor tells me what the current pressure is and it can be adjusted on the fly, for varying road conditions, from the cab.

Can't wait to get it all installed.

After nearly thirty years, those rubber bags must be about worn out. I would hate to have them crap out on me while I am thousands of miles from home.

If I were you, I'd replace the air bags first and see how the MH rides and handles before going to re-arced springs, etc.

Best of luck!

Yes, I traced one hot 12v off the house battery to a starting solenoid in the engine compartment, and was wondering what it was for. I could not see how it was a booster for the engine start circuit.

It's not a starting solenoid that is your battery isolator. You have a real mess of bad wiring do you have a friend that understands wiring? If not I would suggest you make one! There have been people in there that were electrically challenged and it's going to take some one that understands wiring to help you out.