Searching For An Rv

tofubiscuit

I have been actively looking for a Toyota, preferably late 80's and on. So far I have been about $1000 short of any decent ones within a day or so drive of me. Was searching for a V6, but after reading several posts the 4 cylinder doesn't seem bad. I don't mind slow, as long as I eventually make it over the hill! The goal is for me and my 10 year old son to live in the rv full time and travel around the country. While searching I came across a non-Toyota - an. 86 Fleetwood Jamboree on a Ford e350 with a 460. I know those have awful gas mileage, but I fell in love with the layout (although it is 26 feet, and the thought of driving something that big is intimidating). Does anyone have experience with these - I know I should wait out and save more for the Toyota, but . . .

What I like about the Toyota is the simplicity and easy maintenance of the 22re engine. Anyone can fix it with a manual and they're so reliable.

Big difference in maneuverability and driving between a 26 footer and 21ft. Think about pulling into parking lots and such and heaven forbid if you have to back up the big one. Be patient. The season for RV's for sales is just starting

Linda S

I used to have a boat and the trailer wheels were somewhat well over 8 feet edge to edge, fills up the lane pretty good :o . The Toy's mirrors are much less than that, the RV is less than the mirrors so it's easy to judge, one consideration.

john

OK - I am over my midlife crisis within my midlife crisis - I am sticking with Toyotas. Can anyone give more info on the engines 4 cylinder vs V6 (is that the only 2 out there?). People have told me to stay away from 4 cylinder, they won't make it up big mountains, they are much more likely to blow on hills, etc. But most who have said this haven't actually ever driven a Toyota rv - they are basing their opinions on their truck driving. I (obviously) know nothing about engines, but can learn anything with a book, so I would like to be able to do basic repairs once I am living in my rv. Have no idea where I am going to go in it, just plan on taking off around the country where ever the spirit moves me, but would like to be able to get anywhere and not be restricted based on engine strength. The engine opinions of people with 4 cylinders would be helpful - does it work good for you? Is it at greater risk of blowing on the mountains? Are there places you can't go? If I do start looking at 4 cylinders, it would really open up the possibilities of what is available out there. Thanks for any help.

my 22re will go up the hills its just going to go slooooow

to me the 22r is a more reliable engine then the v6

22r is going to be easer to work on for sure..

v6 engines do have a recall on the head gasket..

Every year we do a round trip cross-country via I-40 or I-80. In the bone stock 22R 4 cyl stick shift the speed over the mountains seems about the same as other vehicles I've used over the years... ford 460 (7mpg) class c, chevy 350 (8 mpg) class c, ford 352 2bbl (7 mpg) plulling a 35' fifth wheel, BB 35' 3208 turbo-diesel (7 mpg).

The hills slow you down. Mostly I just shift the toyota down to 3rd and hold it to the floor and let it grunt. 45 mph usually. If the grade is REALLY steep, then I do have to go to 2nd and do maybe 25-30. Note that I keep the MH light, meaning I limit the water I carry in the tanks when doing mountains. No point is moving 500 lbs of water if I don't have to. Also, it uses little or no oil doing this. What's not to like? I'm sold.

It will keep up with most other RVs, give or take. I was suprised that the Toy will do 70 on the freeway if needed.

Then there's the folks with new TD trucks pulling trailers... they seem to have no problem doing the grades at 65 or 70 and brag of 10-13 mpg. That's a different deal altogether and bigger bucks.

Another feature.. you can get one and if you want something different later, you stand a fair chance of taking little or no loss.

I have an 85 Granville with 22RE and auto. I have taken it on a couple of trips in West Virginia on some 6-9% grades. On the worst ones I just drop the selector to 2nd gear and keep my speed at 35-40mph. She climbs the mountains no problem. I'm just in the slow lane with the big rigs. Not sure the V6 will be too much better but I don't know. These engines are tough and will last if taken care of!

I would stick with the 22r, it is an engine that has been around long enough to prove itself. I would not call it "underpowered" considering it is a 4 cylinder hauling a motorhome, it does its job. Don't expect it to spin the tires leaving red lights. Mine cruises along just fine at 55-60 and if need be it will do 75 on the interstate if you don't mind sucking down more gas. If you're traveling you should just take the back roads anyways. I've never had a problem with climbing hills or mountains, it will just have to chug along on the steeper parts as others have said.

if you want to blow up the four cylinder lug it. if you down shift keep the rpms up the block is 5 main bearings made to wind you will go slower yes but you will get there. lugging is what will kill it, i have had two toyota moterhomes and 5 other toyotas all four cylinder

I have been actively looking for a Toyota, preferably late 80's and on. So far I have been about $1000 short of any decent ones within a day or so drive of me. Was searching for a V6, but after reading several posts the 4 cylinder doesn't seem bad. I don't mind slow, as long as I eventually make it over the hill! The goal is for me and my 10 year old son to live in the rv full time and travel around the country. While searching I came across a non-Toyota - an. 86 Fleetwood Jamboree on a Ford e350 with a 460. I know those have awful gas mileage, but I fell in love with the layout (although it is 26 feet, and the thought of driving something that big is intimidating). Does anyone have experience with these - I know I should wait out and save more for the Toyota, but . . .

If I found a motorhome I liked, I wouldn't let $1000 stop me from buying it. If you have decent credit, it should not be difficult floating a $1000 loan at your local bank or credit union. If your credit is not so good, you can always go to Break Your Knees Finance Company a pay 25% interest for a short term loan. If neither of those options work for you, maybe it's time to put a purchase decision on the back burner until a later day.

If your finances are that tight, what resources do you have for travel expenses like food, gas, camping fees, toilet chemicals, repairs, etc.?

Also,I have never bought a used vehicle that did not need something immediately. I bought an 87 Dolphin that was in excellent condition. However, both batteries were seven years old. I stopped on the way home and replaced them simply for peace of mind. Seven year old batteries are definitely at the end of their lives. I promise you that you WILL replace or repair something with your new purchase.