Attaching A Pvc Tube To My Roof Rack

This is one of those things where I can picture exactly what I need, but I'm not sure I've ever seen it in person before, and have no idea what it's called so I can't really search for it...

I have a 3" pvc tube which I'm going to attach to the bottom of the overhang on my roof rack.

So I'll need two brackets which first wrap around the tube, then clamp/mount to the rack bars which are 90 degrees off from the tube. Know what I mean? The tube will be running from the back to the front, parallel to the camper. But of course the bars on the roof rack run perpendicular to the camper. So I need something like two hose clamps, one large and one small, attached to each other, and offset 90 degrees.

I can rig it with ratcheting straps, but I know there's a better solution.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

I think the two hose clamps linked is an elegantly simple cheap strong way to do it.

If you are going to put any weight on it more than the clamps are up to, just put the PVC on top.

There are some greenhouse "Purlin" fittings that are tube to tube,

but cost, availability wise its hard to beat what you are envisioning.

Another way would be to saw a PVC "T" in half longways, put it over the metal tube

and glue and or hose clamp it back together with the tee pointing straight across to the other bar

and glue your PVC pipe in there, but I think the hose clamp way is better.

You might have to "bush" these up to meet your 3" pipe size,

you know put an adapter bush from 3" down to 1/3/8 inside your 3" pipe

then slip it over the 1/3/8 metal pipe.

see also http://shop.hoopbenders.net/138connectorsandclamps.aspx

and http://www.buildmyowngreenhouse.com/connectorsclamps.aspx

Edited by Lee & Joan

Can't you just loop one hose clamp through the other one at a 90 degree angle

and put the screw heads where they won't interfear with eachother.

You know, put one hose clamp around the frame bar loosely,

then run the clamp for the 3" PVC through the bar hose clamp and around the PVC,

then tighten both clamps. It would be a little wiggly but should hold. Duct tape would keep

it from wiggling around after you clamp it tight.

Go to the plumbing section of one of the big box stores. Get 2 3" PVC pipe hanger brackets. (the galvanized metal ones). Wrap the flat section with the holes in it around the roof rack bar. Run a small nut and bolt through the holes to lock it down. Cut off any excess.

Can't you just loop one hose clamp through the other one at a 90 degree angle

and put the screw heads where they won't interfear with eachother.

You know, put one hose clamp around the frame bar loosely,

then run the clamp for the 3" PVC through the bar hose clamp and around the PVC,

then tighten both clamps. It would be a little wiggly but should hold. Duct tape would keep

it from wiggling around after you clamp it tight.

Yes, actually that would probably work just fine. My only concern right now is how much weight they'll hold. Just the 3" pvc is fairly heavy. Not sure how strong hose clamps really are. I won't have much weight in there, but like I said, there's already a good amount of weight just with the tube.

Fred I have no image in my head of what you're talking about right now, so I may have more questions after I check out what you're talking about. I need to head to the hardware store anyways.

Thanks!

I think the two hose clamps are going to work the best.

I didn't see anything in the plumbing section that would do what I need (other than hose clamps), but I might not have been using my imagination enough.

All I'm doing is attaching a 9' long, 3" pvc tube to my roof rack, so I can store something in it so it's not in my way in the camper.

I will let you know how it turns out, and post photos.

Thanks.

You can get hose clamps in different widths. If you go with the hose clamps just get them 1" or so wide. Light, strong, stainless steel, no rust, easy to adjust/remove.

john

Of course.

I picked up 4 of them yesterday afternoon. If nothing else jumps out at me in the next couple days that would work better, they're what I'll use.

As for the strength, I've definitely never had a hose clamp outright break, but I've seen them kind of strip so that they won't tighten anymore.

Probably some rubber or even coolant hose material around the pvc where I'm going to tighten the hose clamps is a good idea, so that the clamps have something to bite into a little.

THAT would be cool. I don't know much about that technology except what I've heard on the news.

What is it, my youthful good looks? My ignorance about so much of this motorhome/construction stuff that I just must be a youngster? Or just my general immaturity? :)

No, I'm 36 and way out of school. I just didn't grow up with anyone to teach me how to do all this stuff, and I don't mind admitting I know nothing and asking for help.

Why?

Zach if it makes you feel better I thought you were older, way older, JD older.

Edited by rigger camper

• 2 weeks later...

And here it is.

9' of pvc, attached to the roof rack with two hose clamps on each end. A small diameter hose clamp for the rack, through a larger clamp for the tube. I put a little rubber garage door skirt stuff under the hose clamps, both to keep the clamps from cutting into the pvc and rack, and to give it something stickier to grab. I don't really know how much weight the clamps can hold, but this setup is probably only 10 or so pounds.

post-6535-0-73650800-1395152208_thumb.jp post-6535-0-67800900-1395152248_thumb.jp post-6535-0-74835200-1395152396_thumb.jp

post-6535-0-37087800-1395152446_thumb.jp

I'll bet that at 55mph it looks as good as any thing big bucks could buy.

• 1 month later...

Zach, how is your roof rack attached to the roof of the RV? How do you like the new telescope ladder, does it feel safe?

I bought Thule "artificial raingutters", then towers for a rain gutter setup. The artificial rain gutters came with steel plates with bolt holes. I did this when my roof panels weren't up yet. So it's just 8 holes drilled through the roof (no leaks yet, that I can tell), two for each foot, with the fake rain gutters on the top of the roof and the steel plates on the under side of the roof.

I do really like the telescoping ladder. I can't remember exactly what brand (if you want to know I can check easily enough), but I just looked on Amazon and bought one with good reviews. I got an 8' model, since my roof is only 8' high and I figured the smaller the better.

It's come in handy way more than I thought it would, since I ended up buying a basket to go on my roof rack, to get more stuff out of my way. Well worth the money.

All I've used it for is leaning against the camper to get to the roof, but for that, it feels rock solid.

It's probably 15lbs (on the heavy side) but it fits easily in the storage space under my bench seats/bed, with plenty of space to fit other stuff in there with it, so it's well worth it.

Zack, thanks for the up date. I have the Thule system just no artificial raingutters. I have had my eye on the ladder on Ebay for awhile.