Stabilizing The Rv When Parked

MontanaChinook

Hi--we are full timers in our '92 Itasca Spirit. After trial and error, I have found that using mini-bottle jacks under the rear bumper and under the frame up front on both sides makes the coach nice and steady. Found small bottle jacks at Wallyworld for about $10. each.

Ok, thank you. Possibly one jack, and two jack stands would be good? Jack to slightly raise the frame (around 1/4") then put a jackstand under it, on each side?

Linda, I saw those stands and was going to go that way. They have crappy reviews though...

I was thinking about this, but realized it probably only works well on flat, level ground. Like an RV park. Won't be happening for me... http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001UGJPXQ/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Toybox, are you talking 4 bottle jacks?

I'm definitely trying to stabilize. Level I might do with leveling blocks, if I can't find a flat enough spot. That's usually not that much of an issue though, for me.

Crappy reviews? I still have the same ones I bought when I bought my rig over 10 years ago. I use my motorhome probably more than most and I use those funny looking things everytime. I'm like a million years old and have no problem putting them on and off. Remember our rigs are not big. More than enough for a Chinook or a litle Sunrader. Maybe they don't work well on 20,000 lb rigs. I do have a couple of ceramic tiles though that I use if the ground is soft or unstable so they don't sink into the ground. Other than that they work fine

Linda S

That's what I use to stabilize the motor home. I use four to five hydraulic bottle jacks to level it. i use wood blocks under them to keep them from sinking in the dirt. i also use camco screw jacks to stabilize. to level it, i carry two large bags of Lynx levellers. the screw jacks are no good for levelling they say do not use to level.

My husband is very "precise" when it comes to leveling. Lining up lynx levelers, digging little holes......To the point I start saying "OK ITS FINE" (yeah, sort of yelling). But our camper always feels stable , maybe thats why?

For leveling I use Lynx blocks for leveling. For stabilizing I use a couple of scissor jacks that I bought at a salvage yard for $5 each. They have a hex head bolt to raise and lower them. I use my cordless impact driver, socket, and long extension to adjust them so I don't have to bend over to much.

Yes--we use four bottle jacks under the frame. These not only stabilize the coach but also allow for some leveling. If we are way off level, we use the Lynx Levelers first, then set up the four bottle jacks to tweek the level and stabilize. Keep experimenting--you'll get it!

Ok, thanks.

Well Linda, it's possible that quality has suffered since you bought yours...it's happened with just about everything else. There are too many reviews saying "they rust right away" and "do not work as stabilizers" for me to feel comfortable about them...But sometimes the people writing bad reviews had unrealistic expectations and so you can discount their reviews. Sometimes hard to tell good reviews and bad reviews apart, though...

I'm definitely not looking for leveling. I'm just trying to take care of all the movement when I walk around inside.

Sounds like any of the options out there which are meant for stabilizing work fine for people. It was just the stuff I was reading online when I was searching around that made me think some don't work very well.

Mine like I said are 10 years old. No rust. I do believe they are aluminum, very light but strong. The ones I see at rv parts stores look and feel exactly like mine. Again our RV's are very small. Possible they don't work well on the giants and reviews would come from much larger motorhomes cause they are far in the majority of rigs out there.

Linda S

I have had pop-up campers for over 20 years and I still use the same jack stands that Linda has. Mine are also aluminum so rust was never an issue. They are easy to use and if used in conjuction with a hydraulic jack work well for leveling or just stabilizing.

Alright, thanks!

I may buy that four pack for stabilizing...and bring my jack stands along for leveling. If that's overkill I'll adjust my approach on the road.

I didn't think about the aluminum when I was reading the rust reviews...

How level do I need to worry about being? My 3-way fridge is a brand new one, which I've heard don't need to be AS level as the old 70s ones...but how much do I need to worry about it?

Dometic says "comfortable to live in". Norcold saws 3 degrees. What do the instructions with your new fridge say?

BTW, 3 degrees would mean the front wheels 5"+ higher (or lower) than the rear (assuming a short 110" wheelbase). So quite a bit. :)

If you like, use a level to get it perfectly level, then lack one end up 5" and see what it feels like. Then if future, if it feels (without using a level) like less you're good to go! If you need a level to check for level, it must feel level!

Of course, when you're checking for level, make sure your level is checking the fridge floor and not the camper floor! Unless you made sure the fridge was installed level with the floor!

I stopped by a junk yard looking for the scissors jacks that the Asian cars use the guy said go find what you want we just leave them in the cars when we crush them. So I came back with two nice ones and he said just take them. They work just fine put them under the frame behind the truck door and it takes all the sway out.of the body fairly light weight and they fold pretty flat.

Camco 44560

"Corrosion resistant, plated steel hardware".

"For stabilizing only. Not for lifting."

Got to read the fine print! :)

http://www.americanrvcompany.com/Camco-44560-Stack-Jacks-4-Pack-Camper-Trailer-RV

Camco 44560

"Corrosion resistant, plated steel hardware".

"For stabilizing only. Not for lifting."

Got to read the fine print! :)

http://www.americanrvcompany.com/Camco-44560-Stack-Jacks-4-Pack-Camper-Trailer-RV

There's always someone out there to poo poo everything. They've never used the product and have no knowledge at all about it but whatever. I'll probably be using these same poorly made 15 dollar stabilizers until my camping days are over. By the way, with the exception of the double shaft toyota bottle jacks, most bottle jacks don't come up far enough to even reach my bumper. I'd really rather not have to crawl under my camper to set up for camping. Also I only stabilize the back. Just on my bumper is enough to stabilize my whole camper enough so I don't notice any sway. Might not be enough for a 21 footer but plenty for 18ft. Or a Chinook

Linda S

Linda S

Funny. All the off road camping I do and I have only had to level more than a few inches a few times. I try to park so I'm not to off level sideways. Thats the worst for my fridge. Try to hit a little low in the back so I can bring it up with these "not-levelers" and stabilize at the same time. Don't carry those dumb blocks but I have pulled rocks out of a creek or used tree branches in places where I needed to build up the area. I do carry a small shovel and can even build hills if I need it. It is supposed to be camping ya know

Linda

:)

I have to admit that I've rarely spent more than 5 minutes "leveling" any vehicle I've slept in. And the leveling consists of looking for a flat spot as I drive up to camp, then parking there :)

Sometimes a little more maneuvering than that, but not much.

Which is why I'm mostly interested in stabilizing.

Thanks everyone

Ya know you can let air out of an airbag :innocent:. If your not moving you can let a lot of air out.

Yep that's what we've been talking about for 3 pages. stabilizing and leveling are different functions

Oh yeah, thread is done.

I ordered the four stabilizers Linda linked. If I have room, maybe I'll bring a set of jack stands, too.

I've spent so much time building the thing, I haven't really had a chance to get out and use it enough to have all the finer points of camping figured out yet...so I'll be learning on the fly.

I went with the wrecking yard Honda sissors jacks because they fold down really small when not in use & I can put them in the side box with the hoses, power cords, and a couple of 2x6 wood blocks, plus they are cheap. Lube em up & crank away. I also think it is best to pick a jack spot on the actual truck frame to place the jack. Everything behind the Toyota frame is fairly whimpy & if you got carried away you could tweek something back there. Also you don't want to have a jack slide off into a holding tank.