Just Inherited A 1993 Itasca Spirit. Any Advice??

kellerleo

Due to an illness in my family i have been lucky enough to have been given a 93 Spirt that is in excellent condition. I am very thankful and feel blessed to have been given this. I know how wonderful these Toyota rigs are as i have travelled in one as a young boy growing up with my parents. Now the question...

If all you Toyota motorhome guru's where to give me one piece of advice, what would it be??? Please refrain on the jokes, im trying to get educated here. ;) Thanks in advance.

First thing would be to find out what has been done and what condition everything is in. Start with getting all the info you can on what's been done and when. If you can get the maintence records that would be spiff. Get the VIN # and call your local Toyota dealer and see if the head gasket recall has been done.

What I did was to read all the pinned posts on this forum, much to learn here. If you are not already familiar with RV's a basic book would be nice. I got "The RV Handbook" from a camping world store, found it very usefull.

There is much to learn about these RV's, I've learnt a lot and still have questions and am still learning.

Good Luck,

John

What years was there a head gasket recall? I have been pounding through this site and the information is wonderful. I have been camping for many years, mostly in a VW Westfalia. Really looking forward to the weather getting better and hitting the road on weekends. Cheers guys

sounds like you have a great RV

start with the basic

keep RV level where your going to park it..

get to know your RV and how to work everything

turn on fridge (rv most be level)

turn on propane and lite stove & oven (make sure turn off pilot light when done/turn off propane)

turn on thermostat for heater should lite up and blow HOT air..

put some water in holding tank and try out all faucets and toilet

(this will depend on how cold it is outside if your in a "Cold Winter State" make sure you have no water in holding tank or water lines you will have to "Winterize RV")

lite water heater (should lite buy flipping a on off switch)

You might do some little thing for engine

change all fluids (oil transmission coolant)change spark plugs & wires..

look at the tire date (should be under 8 years) with no cracks....

you can call Toyota and give them your vin# to see if you need your head gasket replaced for recall

good luck on your RV!!!!

show us some pics

Steve

Welcome Kellerleo. When you start driving your new to you Toyota, go to a parking lot and drive it around to get a feel for the turning radius, braking ability, the way it leans when you turn. After you feel okay at parking lot speeds, head out on back roads and when nobody is around, do some hard braking to see how long it takes to stop the RV. Remember that these things are extremely top heavy. If a curve is listed as 45 mph, don't even think about going that fast until you know how it handles. Remember that hard braking while turning a corner can roll your RV very easily.

Your Westfalia was different than a car and your Toyota is that much more different than your Westy.

You need to know how tall you RV is so that you don't run into anything. Measure the total height, including the a/c unit so that you don't hit anything with low clearance.

You also need to know how to enter and exit driveways with a steep approach or exit. Drive diagonally into the driveways and let the lead and trailing wheel help to keep from bottoming out. If you turn sharply into a steep drive, you will hear some really terrible sounds coming from you frame as you grind it into the pavement.

Learn to drive slower than cars and enjoy the scenery. These things will really suck the gas if you try to travel at 65 mph. I like to take back roads when possible to avoid "hate stares" from passing drivers on the interstate, even though they have a lane to get around any time they want. You have a V-6 with more power than my 4 cyl but you will still have to learn how to take steep hills. With my 4 cyl I just "drive the tach" meaning that I don't care how fast I am going, I just keep the rpm's in the power band and drive whatever gear it will allow without lugging the engine.

Ask a lot of questions around here. The people on here know most of the answers so you and I don't have to make all of the dumb mistakes ourselves.

I can't wait for the weather to warm up so that I can get my Escaper out of storage. Tomorrow it is forecast to get down to -20 degrees (f) I think that I will wait another month or 2 to get it out.

• 3 months later...

So here is an update. The 93 has arrived!! It is a beauty. After doing a once over, and testing the systems, almost everything worked top notch. The only major (which was actually pretty minor) was when i hooked it up to shore water, the "drain valves" located next to the hot water tank under the microwave were leaking inside. I took the valves out, and upon further inspection realized that the problem was the 2 little tiny o ring seals inside each valve. It was difficult to find the o rings, due to there sizing, but eventually found them, installed them and the valve back on the floor, good as new, no leaks. Here is a question, Has anyone ever tried to replace the a roof top a/c units shroud or cover? I have found a possible source for a new one at about $275-$300. Is it silly of me to think i might find one at a scrap yard, or a used one? The model on mine is a Mini Mach 6700. Just feeling around to see if anyone has replaced one, or even better, one for sale. lol. Thanks in advance

Where did you find the O rings. A member on another group is looking for some of those same rings. The Coleman Mini-Mach hasn't been made in a very long time. One from a salvage yard might be just a brittle as the one that was on it. It's a very desired AC unit cause it can be run easily with a Honda 2000 generator. All the ones made now are too big for that.

So baby it to keep it running longer. Here's the correct shroud for a little less depending on shipping

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rv-Products-Mini-Mach-Shroud-Artic-White-6727-3761-/231218362949?pt=Motors_RV_Trailer_Camper_Parts_Accessories&hash=item35d5b03a45&vxp=mtr

Linda S

Linda, i found the o rings at a local hydraulic shop. They are not very common. It seems as tho a hydraulic or diesel shop are the only options for these o rings unless your order them through an o ring supplier. I will get the exact size of the o rings and post later. As for the shroud. The link you sent me for ebay is the same shroud yes, however, for that supplier to actually get it to me in the almighty north here in Canada, it is apprx $300 in shipping. for a $154 part. Ridiculous.

Bottom Dollar Surplus on ebay will occasionally sell a used unit, AC and cover for about $300.

My other RV is a westfalia too. I must say, the bathroom, shower, storage, AC, bed with comfy mattress, um, um, well you know. We take the toyota all the time. I WANT to take the westy, but then i think about it and pack up the toyota!

I should add..

You know about slow. I don't know what year westy, or how many cyl your toyota has. Neither one is a speed machine. Many VW driving habits will transfer to the toyota. Except the fear of breaking down where no one can work on it or can get parts. I love my westy, and can't bear to sell it, but it is sitting more than it used to.

Edited by Debbit