I just took my 85 Granville to Hagerstown spring works in Maryland because I was sagging. it was worse on drivers side. They took my springs apart and re arched them. Two leafs added to drivers side and one to the passenger side. So far I'm very happy with the results. Cost me $350

Sorry Linda, the size doesnt fit as you couldve guessed.

I took the rig to a spring shop today -- they've been in business since 1950, and the owner's been working there for 37 years. Experience to the max with springs and with working with motorhomes and dolphins. Alot of dolphins here in the bay area. I have an incredible amount of rust on my chassis/undercarriage. He stocks the bushings and said he'll try to rework the existing rusty ones. If I have severe frame damage, he'd call me -- he hasn't! Yay. so I guess We'll see if he put new ones, or salvaged the rusty old ones, which he said he'd prefer. (I do too for costs sake.)

quoted from $400-$600 depending on labor/parts/issues.

Will check back in.

Sorry Linda, the size doesnt fit as you couldve guessed.

I took the rig to a spring shop today -- they've been in business since 1950, and the owner's been working there for 37 years. Experience to the max with springs and with working with motorhomes and dolphins. Alot of dolphins here in the bay area. I have an incredible amount of rust on my chassis/undercarriage. He stocks the bushings and said he'll try to rework the existing rusty ones. If I have severe frame damage, he'd call me -- he hasn't! Yay. so I guess We'll see if he put new ones, or salvaged the rusty old ones, which he said he'd prefer. (I do too for costs sake.)

quoted from $400-$600 depending on labor/parts/issues.

Will check back in.

Hey I'm in the bay area too. Could use new bushings on my Nissan. Let me know where they are and name.

Linda S

When I did my add-a-leaves I had them put new shackles with new bushings in. Much easier than working with the old ones.

http://www.generalspringkc.com/Leaf_Springs_Toyota_Pickup_1984_1988_s/1940.htm

Just over $300 for both sides. Add a couple leaves to each side...I guess if you're not doing it yourself it will add up to more than $400.

Depending on labor costs where you are...

It would have cost me under $200 for the labor at my local shop.

• 2 months later...

I think those helper springs are a bad idea. I've seen a spring pack break right at the spot where the helper springs bolt on, and that wasn't even on an RV. They unevenly stress the leaf springs. And in my experience they don't even help increase the spring arch that much.

I took my 21ft RV up a pretty Nasty dirt road and it bounced pretty good from front end to back end hitting my casters a couple of time..RV is pretty stiff end rear end

I'm not sure about this but wont the RV bounce more if you raise it up?

You may get more bounce. However, bottoming out - when the axle hits the frame (or rubber bumper on the frame, if present) is much more unpleasant, like a jack hammer bang.

On a cement road with uneven expansion joints (near 4 Corners Monument, New Mexico comes to mind) it can be a steady bang-bang-bang, resulting in discomfort for she-who-must-be-obeyed in the back.

• 2 weeks later...

I put these on my Dolphin http://www.amazon.com/Hellwig-1560-LP-15-Helper-Spring/dp/B000N8KBIK

It raised the rear end by 3-4" and makes it ride a lot better. Pretty cheap way to go. You can double check application on Hellwig's website.

http://www.hellwigproducts.com/catalog/

Check their catalog. For whatever reason Amazon says they don't fit the motorhome, but on Hellwig's actual site it gave me that exact part number for my Dolphin. I slapped them on and they work great, even while I'm driving on the crappy roads down here in Mexico.

Anyway, hope that helps, I did a bunch of other stuff on my rig if you have any more questions. Feel free to check it out followthewind.net

I once had a 66 Mustang with crapped out springs. The PO put air bags on it to compensate and the ride was horrendously harsh. I took it to a spring shop and had the springs re-arced and was told that re-arced springs are literally as good as new and will last just as long before needing re-tempering.

There's just no need to take a chance on new springs that could be made in China or 'who knows where'. Those original equipment springs were Toyota quality that was made in Japan. In my book, you cannot get any better than that!

For you California dudes, "Re-arc and save the planet"!

A dum hick in Mississip.

you would like the old time place here in central washington state still got a forge they do a lot of what you were just talking about and make u bolts . they do a lot of heavy duty stuff .in busness since 1915.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello!

just as an update on this thread, took our rig to a shop in oakland that's been in business for 50 years, and the main man there, acquired the business 37 years ago. they re-arced the rusty, busted leafs for $540. a bit pricey, but felt it was a semi-fair price.

A-1 springs

9722 MacArthur Blvd

Oakland, CA 94605

Anyway, thanks for all the input!

Hello Zephrgreen of the Bay Area. I have air bags on my 85 dolphin that I will pick up from the owner May 2nd and was very interested in leaf springs. This site has so helped me as I prepare for repairs on a near 30 yr old rig!

Tom