Inverter Or Converter Question Please

Debbit

I think I've asked this question before, and either I didn't word it well, or I didn't understand the answer, but I'm still puzzled. My dolphin has what I think is called a converter (or inverter?). I have the manual, but left it at our sons house. I feel sure leaving it plugged in for several days ruined the aux battery. Now this battery was old, but seemed to work ok. Anyway, we got another. It charges properly when the truck is running.

I haven't plugged the camper in since I got the new battery, but we will need to plug it in to run an electric heater while nephews sleep in it over thanksgiving. We also will want to use the AC in the summer, and outlets sometime. Is the only way to spare the aux battery from overcharging to disconnect it? There are 2 off on switches on the face of the converter, one is red and needs to be on to use the AC. the other is brown, and I'm not sure what it does. Electrical things baffle me.

They don't burn out that fast. When electricity is being used it would be rare for the battery to cook excessively. Did that battery that went bad have water in it? I leave mine plugged in for extended periods but I do check the water level. My current battery is 5 years old and just starting to show signs of wear. Basic rule should be if your using the RV plug in is not a problem

Linda S

When we bought it, the water was low or gone. We filled it up first thing. Then left it plugged in while we were painting, sanding, running a fan, etc. probably a long time, like several weeks. So the battery may have been pretty tired when we got it. So don't leave plugged in unless using the power. We can do that, and unplug when not using a heater or fan. Thanks!!

if the water is down to exposing the plates the plates will sulfate up and will not charge all the way. if left in that state the battery life will be shortened. and also a battery left discharged will freeze buckling the plates sometimes breaking the case open

When we bought it, the water was low or gone. We filled it up first thing. Then left it plugged in while we were painting, sanding, running a fan, etc. probably a long time, like several weeks. So the battery may have been pretty tired when we got it. So don't leave plugged in unless using the power. We can do that, and unplug when not using a heater or fan. Thanks!!

Yes I leave mine plugged in for weeks at a time but my fridge is always running. That might be why I have never had a battery cooking problem.

Linda S

You need a smarter charger, failing that plug the converter/charger in to a simple110v on/off timer. The timer for 1 hour 3 or 4 times a day. This will let you keep your Toy plugged in and prevent the battery from freezing.. Still need to eyeball the water level once a month until you can determine how much water the battery is using and then develop a watering schedule.

DONT forget to turn the timer ON when your camping

Hi Debbit Couldn't you just run a separate electric extension line into the coach and plug the heater directly into that, I often do that during the winter, then you would have no worries about boiling your battery dry.

Mike

You need a smarter charger, failing that plug the converter/charger in to a simple110v on/off timer. The timer for 1 hour 3 or 4 times a day. This will let you keep your Toy plugged in and prevent the battery from freezing.. Still need to eyeball the water level once a month until you can determine how much water the battery is using and then develop a watering schedule.

DONT forget to turn the timer ON when your camping

I agree you need a smart charger or new converter with a smart charger built in. If you have the old style 6300 converter they are only half wave rectified. The chargers in them will burn up the battery if left to charge for long periods of time. Also realize that when the old style (6300) converter is in operation it takes the coach battery out of the interiors 12 vdc circuit side and supplies the 12 volts to the circuit. Because of the half wave rectifier design there is a huge amount of AC voltage mixed in. Just take a volt meter and put it into AC mode and read how much AC voltage there is. The AC can be really bad for some of the modern solid state DC devices.

I have a modern 7300 converter with a smart charger and leave it plugged in at all times. My battery is an AGM and almost 9 years old with the 7300ru.

http://www.parallaxpower.com/7300/7345RU_7355RU%20upgrade%20kit%20contents.pdf There is allot of debate about the charger in the 7300ru but I have to say My battery is still alive after 9 years.

For short term you'll have no problem and if you'er not ready to replace the inverter/charger just buy a cheap battery tender (under $20) and connect it directly to the battery with out the RV plugged in, that way you can keep a charge in the battery all winter, they can freeze if they are allowed to discharge. Replacing the stock charging system is probably one of the best up grades you can do for under $200.

Appreciating the answers. What about running the AC? Have to plug it in to do that. If we need to disconnect battery or put a battery minder on, we can easily do that. I'm going to give this thread to my husband to read and figure out. I want to understand rv and automotive electronics, but I don't.

If you stay on shore power for extended time, weeks / months at a time, just disconnect the battery. get a small trickle charger to keep the battery charged, especially if your in cold weather.

If possible, remove the battery, top off the charge, and store it in doors.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto (For Sale)