Ultimate Michigan-Indian RV for full-timing?? (not a Toyota)

zero

I've just gotten around to looking more closely at an RV that's parked on some farm/woodland I own in northern Michigan. The former owner was a logger and he hired a Chippewa Indian to log this land off while he lived full-time in this trailer. He stayed in it over a year, summer and winter here in Presque Isle County, Michigan (just below the big Mac Bridge).

At first - I was going to drive my bull-dozer over it, crush it and scrap it. Now - I don't know? My wife won't even set foot inside of it but I'm now kind of intriqued with it. Yeah it's a mess. But the woodwork inside in extremely nice for an RV if you look through the junk and grime. It has a oil heater then may possibly be original?? Also - the refrigerator is a weird one. At a glance - it looks to be a kerosene refrigerator but I'll have to inspect more closely when I've got a flashlight.

Besides the nice woodwork - much of the metal skin on the outside is seamless sheet aluminum. This thing has sat at least 10 winters with lots of snow on the roof and I find no signs of leakage which is pretty amazing.

I told my wife I may try to clean it out and see how bad it really is inside. She says she's NEVER going inside it regardless.

post-6578-0-62024100-1372511802_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-48741600-1372511804_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-88005200-1372511805_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-17134000-1372511807_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-25461700-1372511808_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-22771800-1372511809_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-83111200-1372511810_thumb.jp

I see a Hazmat suit in your future.

I see a lot of soap and water. This is a vintage trailer and fixed up they go for a lot of money. Best part is the outside siding still has very smooth skin. I don't really see any ripples at all. The original fridge is fantastic looking. Can you see a brand anywhere? Some of the old Scotties sell for 5 grand and more. I looked for an example but couldn't find a good one as old as yours. It's worth some bucks for sure and irestoration would be a breeze for you. Look for brand name and I will try to find some sale prices

Linda

What WME said - ROFL.

Its definitely an "Oldy but Moldy".. May not be in bad shape after you rent a 10 yard dumpster to clean it out.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 auto

I see a lot of soap and water. This is a vintage trailer and fixed up they go for a lot of money. Best part is the outside siding still has very smooth skin. I don't really see any ripples at all. The original fridge is fantastic looking. Can you see a brand anywhere? Some of the old Scotties sell for 5 grand and more. I looked for an example but couldn't find a good one as old as yours. It's worth some bucks for sure and irestoration would be a breeze for you. Look for brand name and I will try to find some sale prices

Linda

I haven't figured out what make the camper is yet. I looked at the refrigerator more closely. It a KREFT made in Germany. Not kerosone. It's propane and butane. I plugged it in and it still works. Cooktop is a Dixie. Oil furnace is a Duotherm. Also has gas lights. Every solid wood door has what looks like a hand painted image of some sort (not decals or stencils as far as I can tell). Underneath the grime, grease, and garbage is some really nice woodwork. Even the ceiling is all wood.

I'm going to clean it up. It's a nice rig although that "niceness" is a bit hidden right now. It looks as though the log-cutter Chippewa may of died and left all his stuff behind. It's full of clothes, chainsaw parts, magazines, old family photographs, etc. Most from late 60s, early 70s.

post-6578-0-53674100-1372602064_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-57038200-1372602066_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-94068100-1372602067_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-11884800-1372602069_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-35056800-1372602070_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-72310000-1372602071_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-88512800-1372602072_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-47576100-1372602074_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-67567900-1372602075_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-51585200-1372602076_thumb.jp

That one is a 641. Well built but lacks a good low 1st gear and also does not have live power. Lacking those things make it kind of useless for certain jobs but good for others. I've also got a 1963 model 4000 (pretty much a 800-900 series). 172 engine along with a four speed trans coupled to a Sherman over-under-drive. Great tractor.

Well your trailer is just getting better. The Kreft fridge was used on Shasta trailers and Airstreams in the 50's so yours probably dates from around then. For that thing to just be sitting all those years and still be in such good shape is a miracle. Gas lamps can still be found both new and restored.

http://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=toolbar-instant&hl=en&ion=1&qscrl=1&rlz=1T4ADFA_enUS407US407#hl=en&qscrl=1&rlz=1T4ADFA_enUS407US407&biw=1360&bih=612&sclient=psy-ab&q=trailer+with+gas+lamps&oq=trailer+with+gas+lamps&gs_l=serp.3...31273.40621.0.41011.43.29.0.2.2.7.438.4146.0j23j3j0j1.27.0...0.0...1c.1.18.psy-ab.RYvrxC6y8TA&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&fp=3e14400e88547fdc&ion=1

I have yet to find a trailer with smooth siding on the top and wavy on the bottom. I think I remember seeing some like this but can't find them now. I think it might be a very early Shasta so early 50s

Can't wait to see what you do with it

Linda S

LINDA is very correct there is a big interest in restoring these old trailers many people link them with vintege cars and trucks.IN the days before step down converters were used these old rvs would have three different types of lights six or 12 volts lights seperate 120 volt lights and gas lights. my local rv shop has told me gas lights can no longer be installed by them by law.

i see the sink has the old two fawcet system right side is for pressure hookup left is the old standered hand pump for the water tank brings some memreys for me my scout master had a SHASTA or an ALOHA was a lot like that . There is a vintege trailer site i will check. JUST checked it is called atlas mobil home museum . shows all kinds of old time trailers.

that there looks like a mobile deer camp if I have ever seen one; right down to the propane mantel lights; I have those in my cabin up north.

It was a mobile mini logging camp in this case. The old Indian was hired to log off the 50 acres here all on his own. He lived in the trailer while he cut all the trees.

There are several small hunting cabins here also. More like hunting "toll booths." Something I see all over northern Michigan but never seen in NY. In NY, hunting blinds or tree stands are more in fashion.

That's because a good tree stand or blind should not easily be seen; we do them right in Michigan. :).... deep in the woods in the north anyway.

the crash cabin should be significantly far away enough from the blind/stand. I think we have more range here to the point we have to have a crash cabin; we cant drive an hour hunt and go home; it takes me 4 hours to get to mine.

of course the Ohio boys do them right on the edges of corn fields and forest; they get tastier venison too; but can only use shotguns on rifle season.

That's because a good tree stand or blind should not easily be seen; we do them right in Michigan. :).... deep in the woods in the north anyway.

the crash cabin should be significantly far away enough from the blind/stand. I think we have more range here to the point we have to have a crash cabin; we cant drive an hour hunt and go home; it takes me 4 hours to get to mine.

of course the Ohio boys do them right on the edges of corn fields and forest; they get tastier venison too; but can only use shotguns on rifle season.

Sounds like you haven't driven around farm country in Presque Isle County especially around the Polish Potato "Capitol" of Posen, Rogers City, Hawks, Mepps, Millersberg, Onaway, etc. Those little hunting toll booths are all over the place - most out in the middle of red bean and corn fields and in plain sight of the roads.

The popular way for the locals to hunt bear, elk, and deer is to build huge bait piles all summer long. Often from sugar beets or corn. Then come fall, they wait in their little heated "toll booths" for an animal to come feed. Not exactly what I call "hunting."

Jeff Daniels did a good job on his movie version of "Escanaba in da Moonlight." All about a yuper who had never gotten his buck yet. In THAT movie -they have a real hunting cabin.

Where I live in NY - most locals hunt solo - no blind, no stand, no cabin. The "city boys" that come up often install store-bought tree stands all over the place and also get a group together and try to drive the deer - kind of like the way the Huron (Oundat) and Mohwak (Kanien'gehaga) Indians did many years ago.

I just leased some of my NY land this year to some hunters from Albany. They're bringing tree stands, campers, four wheelers, etc. I hate to have them here but they are paying my taxes for me.

4 wheeler is pretty presumptuous ; would only be used to get one after shot. Agreed we don't bait in our group or use "toll booths". It is common for us to bring a small branch saw and a tree climber though; much easier than building a stand and we can try different places; the tree gets a free haircut. The closest we come to "baiting" is planting clover; if that counts.

Totem - I had to drive 50 miles this morning to take my youngest kid to swimming lessons in Alpena (Alpena County). I came through Posen, Metz, and Hawks on the way back (Presque Isle County). I took a few photos of some hunting "tool booths" - all from the highway.

post-6578-0-15161500-1372876620_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-42874700-1372876622_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-60750900-1372876624_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-76594200-1372876625_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-93954600-1372876626_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-03592900-1372876628_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-03477000-1372876629_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-17648000-1372876630_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-09842600-1372876631_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-21854500-1372876632_thumb.jp

I've just gotten around to looking more closely at an RV that's parked on some farm/woodland I own in northern Michigan. The former owner was a logger and he hired a Chippewa Indian to log this land off while he lived full-time in this trailer. He stayed in it over a year, summer and winter here in Presque Isle County, Michigan (just below the big Mac Bridge).

At first - I was going to drive my bull-dozer over it, crush it and scrap it. Now - I don't know? My wife won't even set foot inside of it but I'm now kind of intriqued with it. Yeah it's a mess. But the woodwork inside in extremely nice for an RV if you look through the junk and grime. It has a oil heater then may possibly be original?? Also - the refrigerator is a weird one. At a glance - it looks to be a kerosene refrigerator but I'll have to inspect more closely when I've got a flashlight.

Besides the nice woodwork - much of the metal skin on the outside is seamless sheet aluminum. This thing has sat at least 10 winters with lots of snow on the roof and I find no signs of leakage which is pretty amazing.

I told my wife I may try to clean it out and see how bad it really is inside. She says she's NEVER going inside it regardless.

Its the latest girly girl craze out there to fix up a vintage trailer for a "room of her own". Women turn them into creative spaces and take them out to sleep overs with other women who have fixed theirs up too. Basically they function as a little girl's playhouse for grownup women. I think its a pretty healthy outlet for having a bit of fun. Wish I had one on a piece of land to fix up as a getaway or guest house. People like to rent them as vacation cottages so there is even money to be made with giving it a make over. Some place fun for the wives to hang out while the guys do the hunting thing.

http://pinterest.com/trixie40/vintage-camper-crazy/

We just sold 50 acres of woods to a group of three women. Strictly for hunting and ticking off their husbands. Our 50 acres was adjacent to a 400 acre hunting club in Case Township, MI. Men only are allowed. Wives were forbidden except during non-hunting barbecues during the summer. We had been leasing our land to hunters (more men). These three wives pooled their money and bought our land. They then stuck a big camper on it right on the property line in sight of the men's camp. So seems they now have their own "play place." To the credit of one of the men - one ladie's husband helped them buy the land. He didn't like the "no women" policy either.

Yeah I see those toll booths in Ohio and lower michigan quite a bit, also I see them made out of hay blocks in farm fields, so a hay block blind serves a double purpose to be used as hay later on. Pretty slick of those farmers. I see them also put corn feeders and apple piles; not muc sport there. Our group is more like the 500 acre party you spoke of. Only one of our wives is allowed to come and only on one day; but she is special, she is a bloodthirsty killer that comes out strictly to "show us how it's done". The rest of the wives, girlfriends would never want to harm a pretty little deer, thus they should probably keep away and do.

In Michigan for deer hunting, tree stands and elevated blinds were illegal for many years. I don't think they were legalized until sometime around 1975-1985

In Michigan for deer hunting, tree stands and elevated blinds were illegal for many years. I don't think they were legalized until sometime around 1975-1985

Baiting was, or is also illegal in some areas. People here in Presque Isle County have been complaining because it's illegal to set up bait piles here but it's legal in the surrounding counties like Montmorency, Otsego, Alpena, etc. Legal or not - bait is for sale all over and even promoted on the local radio.

To Michigan's defense - at least I can buy a sling shot here. NOT in New York.

Here's a Michigan girl who seems to like hunting.

post-6578-0-60649800-1373026446_thumb.jp