1984 Horizon good luck selling $10900 San Diego

sdboltdude

it made me chuckle

reply to add linda and set him straight..

i just don't want to crush his dream of selling rv..

quote name="linda s" post="39984" timestamp="1360596444"]

Yes 10 grand is way too much for an 84. I don't see a 1 ton axle either. No hand holes in the wheels. The 1 ton has either 6 or 3 hand holes. I wonder hwhat he's thinking asking that kind of price even with those low miles

Linda S

Looks like he has the 1 ton front wheels. Wondering why do the front and not the back.

Those front wheels are an oddity but I'm not sure what the heck they are. They are NOT standard 1/2 ton wheels even though I count five lugs. Those front wheels have a huge positive offset like a 6 lug dually wheel would have. I wonder if it HAS had some sort of update not commonly seen. Off-hand I can't think of anything that Toyota uses with a huge off-set like that and five lugs.

I passed up a Horizon awhile back with the updated FF Toyota axle, front and back wheels matching and an EFI 2.4 engine. It had been parked for two years and needed some work plus 6 new tires. The price was $800 and I kind of wish I'd bought it now. It was on Ebay with a $1500 reserve and got no bids. I called the guy up afterwards and was offered it for $800.

We have seen these 5 lug duallies several times over the years. Most of the time on rigs in southern Cal. Don't know why or how they got these unusual wheels but I've thought possibly someone was making real 5 lug duallies as a kind of fix for the bad axle. This one doesn't have them in the back though so that is very strange, unless I just can't see them well enough. A real dually set up would have centered the weight on the bearing and maybe not caused the stress of the fake duallies. Don't really know

Linda S

JB, I agree. I don't think those are standard Toyota 1 ton wheels on the front. The handholds are wrong, and they are 5 lugs, but not standard Toyote 5 lug.

14k miles is a bigger negative than 60,000. Also has new tires that may not be light truck, could be a negative.

The price that the buyer and seller agree on is the absolute perfect price, lets just say, I believe there is a lot of room for negotiation on this deal.

JOhn Mc

88 Dolphion 4 Auto

Perhaps the Horizon owner is thinking he is siting on a real gold mine...'Wow! Only 14K miles'.

I would be concerned if that is the actual mileage (& no odometer tampering), with such few

miles, the engine, trans, rear end etc. the seals could be all dried up and rusty bearings.

You need to drive your rigs and change fluids; or they whither away. Correct?

If I saw ABSOLUTE proof that this rig had been properly stored indoors, at 68*F, and kept the

fluids circulated, I would toss him a respectable offer....even with the crappy axle! But, we all

can suspect that it has not been stored correctly for all these lonely, unused years.

P.S. If the guy was asking $109,000.00 for it, I'd simply skip it and read onto the next ad.

-Riverman77

Really a shame the picture isn't clearer. This could be one of the 'Phantom' 5-lug 1-Ton FF axles! :)

I'm with Derek on this one; I think that is the unicorn of 1 tons; the 1 ton 5 lug; the yetialienchubacabra axle.

Really a shame the picture isn't clearer. This could be one of the 'Phantom' 5-lug 1-Ton FF axles! :)

Has anyone ever come up with a photo of the alleged 5 lug FF that Toyota supposedly installed in some trucks for RVs? I read about it on this Website but can't say I believe it - at least not until I actually see one somewhere. It is described as not having a raised hub in the middle but DOES have an extra set of bolt-heads showing. That is common in some Asian rear axles - even my 1998 and 2001 Sportages have rears like that. Nothing full-floating about them. I need to hear someone explain how a so-called "full floating" rear can have a pair of bearings not bearing weight on the axle yet there is no protruding hub for the bearings to sit on?

Note that Toyota DID make a HD sort of rear axle for 1960s-1970s Land Cruisers that was not full-floating but DID have a single lubed tapered bearing set on each side (one cup and cone instead of two cups and cones like in a FF). The bearings rode in gear oil unlike the 1/2 rears with sealed ball bearings. Both setups however put all the weight on the axles.

No I think we pretty much confirmed on the Toyota-campers site that the mythical axle was just the 5 lug axle with an adapter of some sort adding the extra bolts. They are seen most often on Huntsman motorhomes and my friend Mark just went through hell when his axle failed on a trip on his 85 Huntsman. 85 is the year they were supposedly available. What ever the set up was it apparently didn't work

Linda S

The closest I've come up with would be whatever axle was installed under the Toyota 1-Ton trucks. NOT the DRW C&C but the a 1-Ton SRW. Don't know how the axle differs, but I believe Linda looked up and compared parts using a VIN I plucked from an EBay auction.SRW pickup.

NOT a FF, but still a 1-Ton, 5 lug. Possibly some of the MH manufacturers ordered the 1-Ton SRW to build on?

I see strange postings on the value of low mileage cars once in a while.

And if this went to auction it might even go for that much

for something you are buying with the intent to use, low mileage like this is a very bad sign

No I think we pretty much confirmed on the Toyota-campers site that the mythical axle was just the 5 lug axle with an adapter of some sort adding the extra bolts. They are seen most often on Huntsman motorhomes and my friend Mark just went through hell when his axle failed on a trip on his 85 Huntsman. 85 is the year they were supposedly available. What ever the set up was it apparently didn't work

Linda S

I saw one photo of the alleged axle with the extra ring of bolts. I've seen the same in several Asian RWD trucks and SUVs. Both my Kia Sportages have it. My Ford-Mazda Courier pickup also had them. The small ring of bolts is what holds the brake-drum to the axle. The brake-drum is what the wheel studs are pressed into. So, two rings of bolts and has nothing to do with extra load capacity. On the Toyota 1/2 ton axle, the wheel studs are pressed into the axle "trumpet" flange on the end and the brake drum slips over it -so a 2nd row of bolts is not needed.

Looking again at the front wheels (didn't think to count lugs) I wonder if they could be the inside rims from an old fooly setup. Wish the picture was clearer to see if any old holes or filled holes.

The only pics I know of.....

to me the owners high $$$$ is prob the love he has for toyhome......

Are there other photos of this motorhome somewhere else? When I click on the link above, only two photos come up on the listing. Its hard to tell what kind of wheels are on the rear at all.

John