Newbie needs advice

js_

I'm debating buying a 1987 Toyota Itasca motorhome. Price is 4700. Has 64,000 original miles. There was a leak that has since been fixed. What should I know? What are your thoughts?

Welcome to the forum. Another person asked almost the same question on October 31. Several people provided good thoughts and ideas. While it was a different model of motorhome, most of the comments cold be applied to any model of Toy Home. Water leaks can be particularly damaging, so make sure that it was repaired properly.

That's reasonable for that model.

It has the more modern fiberglass and may blend into parking lots better than a dolphin.

Id make sure it had the 22re that's a lot of money for a carburated one if they even had them in 87. Some models did.

Price, model, year, mileage all seem to be in ballpark, and worth looking at further.

Now you need more details, Typical questions, Hows the Truck part (engine drive train), water damage, appliances functional. coach condition, batteries age, tire age (big ticket item)

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

Ya dolphin is but I have seen 22r sunraders from 88.

The truck has the 22r until 90 I believe.

What it is is the 22r comes with manual. Probably also the 18 foot sunrader.

For a warrior I don't know.

Let's get a few things right though. The 22re before 84 was only in the celica never in the truck.

Nobody has an example of the 84 22re in a toyhome yet,

I've never heard of any (Sunrader or other) motorhome built on the 1-Ton C&C (1987) that wasn't injected. I'm hard pressed to think of one newer than '85 that wasn't. I believe that many of the injected motorhomes had the manual transmission available as an Option. As they did with their daily driver cars, most buyers went with the automatic.

In their 1986 Brochure, Sunrader shows the 116hp 22R-E with the 4-speed as standard, automatic as optional.

stamar i had a 1987 nov month 4wd xtra cab that was a 22r carb my son had a 1986 22re in the trucks they made both not shure for how long

ya until 90 they had the 22r.

Im positive ive seen a make with the 22r but im not exactly writing it down.

it could have been the mirage.

definitely any maker could put the 22r in a toyhome up to 1990. there are many makes and dolphin and winnebego have nothing to do with eachother.

1987 mini cruiser 22re

i have not seen allot of info on mini cruiser

i think like a dolphin then other models

you need to ask allot of questions when buying a RV..use your B.S meter if owner is telling you rv gets 20mpg he is prob going to BS about other faults in RV

knock on all walls and ceiling look under bed mattress for wood rot or damage

look at rear leaf springs for air bags does rear end sag?

check for rust under RV

make sure plumbing is solid with no leaks...

ask if owner can turn on all appliances frig stove a.c.

tires should be in good condition (look for weather cracks)

ask for maintenance records

look for oil leaks

bring a friend to help you check every thing out two eyes are better then one

look for wigggle room on $$$ if you see somthing you dont like..

go for test drive

look at more then one you might find other floor plans you like better

good luck

take pics and post if you can

The coach makers bought rolling chassis they were what Toyota sold them nothing they built. MH's were titled when the coach was finished not when the truck was made so it is possibly that the truck could be as much as 2 years old. I believe the first imported truck with a 22RE as standard was 84. The 22 series engine became fuel injected more so than anything else for emissions because it became clear that there was no way a carb was going to make the cut for import with out it. By 87 the last crop of carbed engines had pretty well been exhausted.

Any comments I might have made concerning the year of the Toyota 'bits' would relate to the year indicated by the Toyota VIN. The year of the coach 'bit' is beyond my knowledge, though I'd think that the manufacturers would make a concerted effort to clear out the obsolete Toyota chassis ASAP.

Year on the Title? I'm guessing that might vary from State to State. All I can say with certainty is that where I am (Quebec), the only thing they go by is the Toyota VIN, such that the Winnie Warrior I imported 'suddenly' became a year older at my 'DMV' when I registered it. They didn't care what was on the US Title or the Winnebago name plate.

ya until 90 they had the 22r.

Im positive ive seen a make with the 22r but im not exactly writing it down.

it could have been the mirage.

definitely any maker could put the 22r in a toyhome up to 1990. there are many makes and dolphin and winnebego have nothing to do with eachother.

You are correct. I have seen one Sunrader with a 22r engine. My friend had one but it was not on a 1 ton full float chassis. it was a 1987 Sunrader 4x4 on a regular 4x4 chassis and it had the 22r non fuel injected engine.. Gardiner Pacific would build them anyway you wanted them and the original owner must have requested it. I don't think Toyota shipped any 1 ton cab and chassis with the 22r though after the 22re came out

Linda S

I guess no 22RE-Turbo ever got it way on a motorhome right? Some added power may make some smile but reliability may make some cry...I don't know

yes they did i think thats a sunrader too and a mirage.

you could order a toyota chassis with a 22r in it until 1990. I havent even seen a 22re in a 1990 toy home though.

by 85 dolphin had stopped using 22rs, but i think its 87 for sunrader.

but theres no data for other makes. theres too many. for what it matters you could order the 22re in a toyota truck until 1995 but i believe the last 22res are seen in 1989.

Im positive that sunraders were with 22rs after 1985 unlike dolphins.

what it is is the 5 speed sunrader has a 22r, as in all of them. up until 87. Ive seen an assortment. Maybe a half dozen.

the auto sunrader has the 22re. once in a blue moon there is a sunrader with the 22re and a 4 speed.

theres no one engine in sunraders those years they use both.

Sunrader have a reputation for building one-off 'creations', so it's hard to rule out anything. However, what they published in their 1986 brochure shows only 2 engine options: the 22R-E (116hp) and the Nissan 3.0 V6 (140hp). Even the 4x4s seem to be almost one-offs. I've seen greater Sunrader experts than I describe them as 'all different'.

The 1985 Pioneer Four Seasons was 22R-E.

The 1986 Warrior was 22R-E.

The 1985 Dolphin/SeaBreeze was 22R-E.

I don't recall having read anywhere (brochure or magazine article) indicating that the 22R-E wasn't standard issue in MH after 1985 (VIN).