My motorhome is having a scheduled spark plugs change. I have always been using either NGK or ND, but I am now considering to try Bosch. Does anyone has any experience using Bosch Platinum +4?

Actually was I was using NGK stock number 1233 (BPR5EY) last time and I think ND stock number 3031 (W16EXR-U) the time before, am now thinking if the Bosch +4 Platinum Stock Number 4478 or any other model would be better, thank you all for your comments and ideas.

Edit: Upgrade to Platinum Plugs recommended?

NGK Iridium IX BPR5EIX Stock number 6597 or

Denso Iridium IW16 Stock number 5305 or

Bosch +4 Platinum Stock Number 4478

Edited by Derek up North

Ive used the Bosch platium single tip with good results. Not a fan of multi tip plugs

I got to be honest with you pretty no matter what you use you will notice no difference. The 4 tip Bosch were designed mostly for German engines the Iridium tips may last a little longer but that is a hard test most often plugs are replaced just because not because they needed it so how long did it really last? Back in the 60's plugs were good for maybe 10K now recommended changes go as far as 100K. Is there really a reason you are thinking about changing brands?

I have used plain bosch plugs in toyotas for many years had a frend owened a parts house he got better pricing on them and more discount for me.

Thanks everyone for their comments. I would like to know:

1. If I do choose to replace with Bosch Platinum +4, will there be an adverse effect to the engine? Some says the engine will run hotter?

2. I have a friend who runs a Toyota Pickup with 22RE engine says he got improvement on acceleration and slight improvement on the mpg after changing the Platinum +4 plugs. That's why I am considering.

3. Like I have said I have had those plugs changed twice on average 20k miles each interval, last 2 times I used NGK and ND, those are just the 'normal' plugs.

you only get 100k miles if your engine was made for those plugs. the lazer platinum will last 100k 200k miles in a modern engine. but there are no toyhomes with a modern engine unless you include the handfull with a 3.4 liter swap.

all other ones get dirty just as fast. I think a platinum plug will last a bit longer if your plugs were going out from wear but in my experience plugs get dirty first and platinum gets just as dirty.

I did get platinum ngk for my toyhome because they cost the same. some sale or something.

as far as my personal brands? bosch is the only spark plug ive seen detonate. several times too. the ceramic just shatter while driving.

for a toyota or nissan id go ngk or nd. platinum is ok but not going to extend much unless you are pulling out melted plugs.

i use ngk for my bmw too german cars like them better too.

you know what i do believe lazer platinum has a 2 electrode type of thing. theres some purpose to it but 4 is just stupid.

in general get those brands and whats cheaper. something like iridium wont last any longer for you so if its extra dont bother.

i dont believe iridium is in any car stock so I doubt it is real. iridium is a platinum plug anyway the iridium part has some purpose but its mostly marketing.

platinum is though, for the right car it works and the lazer platinum is a big toyota invention for trucks 96 and newer. just platinum etched with a lazer its quite expensive. but you never have to replace it really.

i have actually heard theory that platinum plugs get dirty faster having less surface to the electrode. so they could last less time depending on the engine.

imo they will last a little longer in a 22re.

Thanks again for your comments. I'll give the Platinum +4s a try as I will be having a Christmas/New Year RV trip (Vancouver BC-Sonara, Mexico). I shall report back of my experience with the plugs.

If you were to google the first 100 answers to should I buy bosch platinum plus 4 plugs for my toyota truck you'd have 100 nos.

If you looked up any car forum 80 20. Would tell you they are bs for any car. They are not stock in any car so car manufacturers think its bs.

There are people that think the tornado gives them 5 mpg too even after they were sued for fraud. I don't understand how its a deaadly combination of not having the mechanical or physics education and then not listening to the majority.

The world is flat phenomena.

Actually my friend was kind enough to buy the set of 4 plugs for me as a gift, so I was asking before if those plugs would actually do the engine any harm. If they'll perform just the way the stock plugs do, that's good enough for me. In fact if I were to replace the plugs myself I would probably just go with the stock ones like you said. If they were to perform any differently than stock I shall report back what I have experienced.

Bosch +4 were used in VW's from the factory for quite a few years but the only ones I see listed for a 22RE are +2's. Iridium plugs are used in newer Toyota's from the factory. If you can't verify that the plugs you have are the proper one's for your engine don't use them. Heat range is important far more so then any blend of electrodes a spark is a spark it will fire the fuel but you can run into issues with the wrong heat range. The reasoning with the muti pin plugs is that one of the 4 will support a spark under severe conditions high compression, high revs, turbo etc. However the 22RE does not meet that criteria.

Thanks Maineah for you advice. Actually I carry a set of hand tools for the vehicle just in case. I am thinking maybe the best course of action for me is to buy a set of stock ND plugs and carry those with me just in case. If the platinum +4s perform well then I'll keep the stock for the next change. Any sign of problem I'll change those plugs on the road, I don't think it'll be exceptionally difficult. Cos again, I don't want to waste the +4 plugs.

According to bosch +4 have never been oem in any car including vw.

They are after market.

The only iridium plug oe is denso iridium in certain lexus and toyota models. The plug itself is a platinum plug and can only make any small difference in a engine designed for it, a la almost nothing out there not a new lexus or toyota

ya a clean plug is always best. I am pretty sure I took out the oe denso plugs at 88k put in some new ngks. no difference.

Im not a toyota truck veteran but they dont need changes a lot.

in auto related subject, only ford toyota and mitsubishi still make their own plugs( of cars sold in the us)

Toyota makes it's own plugs? I've never seen a plug marked 'Toyota'.

ND's, I sort of remember Toyota branded plugs they were blue print with ND's number stamped in them they only lasted a year or two and were nothing more then ND's.

I've always bought the cheapest plug I could get, and change them every 50k or so.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

This^ copper works for me.

According to bosch +4 have never been oem in any car including vw.

They are after market.

The only iridium plug oe is denso iridium in certain lexus and toyota models. The plug itself is a platinum plug and can only make any small difference in a engine designed for it, a la almost nothing out there not a new lexus or toyota

Don't tell VW that it might confuse them. Both the V6 and 4 cylinders used them not saying it was a good ideal but that's what they came with. I never had issues with them in my VW's but some have.

nippon denso is a wholly owned subsidiary of toyota.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denso

I cannot believe you didnt know that. thats about as basic as it gets.

some denso parts are branded over with toyota but they are still denso parts.

all denso parts are toyota parts. Im totally lost that either of you never knew that.

it is the toyota name, like fords motorcraft.

you never noticed you have a denso computer, a denso alternator, denso spark plugs a denso fuel pump and a denso poxygen sensor and a denso( everything) in a toyota vehicle? Thats a weird one there.

some parts do say toyota, on top of denso, that they are from the toyota dealer chain.

at the time our toyhomes were made, aisin transmission was part of the toyota group of companies. Meaning it only made transmissions for toyota.

But its now owned by borg warner. All in all these trucks are from the salad days of toyota they made everything. In japan.

only a few parts of a toyota truck arent made in house, like the shocks say tokico.

edit I finally found a car that uses the bosch +4 oem, its the audi a4. seeing as i think thats the same thing as a volkswagen passat it stands to reason they are used there.

If you were to look online for complaints the bosch +4 is the single worst kind of plug ever made.

What it is spark always goes through the path of least resistance, so its like a single prong, and when one gets dirty the spark can go through the other one. This is why modern cars use dual prong plugs.

so 4 must be even super er right? No this design causes misfires as the spark switches from one to the other hunting. It is the single most returned plug in the world.

you can just read through the first 10000 feedback reports and reviews of them on google.

If you have doubts in anything I say, I encourage you to look it up yourself and read yourself, get used to looking up anything that sounds wrong for you. I wouldnt want to help anyone be lazy that would waste my time.

I can teach people to look things up in less time than it takes to look something up for them.

when Im looking stuff up Im mostly looking it up for me not copying it down. Paraphrasing what sinks in and then Im done.

Thank you gentlemen for your comments. I hope the new +4 plugs will last at least 20K miles I don't hope for them being miracle plugs I just hope they'll perform the way the OE plugs do.