Always keep an eye on your Toy Home...

Jeffrey

...I would really be bummed out if this happened to me.

Stolen - 91 Sea Breeze

http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/rvs/3342740044.html

Is this a problem with Toy Homes? Anyone else have a direct or indirect experience?

SORRY TO SAY HEARD OF THAT BEFORE WE had a frend who took hers to californa and had it stolen got it back heavly stripped they even stole the tolit out of it.

for years when gone on vaction i removed the rotr out of the distributor on my 1988 4wd xtra cab

I suspect there's 3 main types for RV related theft.

1. A break in by a burglar, generally while one is using the RV on a trip, to remove personal possessions, i.e. wallets, purses, radios, tv, etc. Break a window and get in and get out in 5 minutes.

2. A break in or break up of rv parts taken from interior or exterior, possibly over a 30 minute or longer period (maybe less time, though).

3. Complete theft of RV like the one in the original post, for whatever reason, e.g. joy ride, strip parts, take home to use as second home on property, change title info and use it, etc.

Personally, I'm now in the process of putting in a "kill/on-off" switch somewhere in the cab.

In my last short trip, I had my two dogs inside whenever I had to leave my rv to get provisions. One is a Great Pyrenees and HE's 165 pounds. I left the window blinds open on the door side so his "head" could be seen.

Personally, I'm now in the process of putting in a "kill/on-off" switch somewhere in the cab.

There you go! With all the jerry rigging we do on our homes, this should be top priority!

A kill switch to the fuel pump with a 22r (carbed) has the following advantage:

It'll start and run long enough for them to drive off. When the float bowl's empty, it won't run any more. If you're lucky, this will happen in the middle of a busy street. Not a great place to be ransacking a motorhome. They'll abandon ship! :)

A kill switch to the fuel pump with a 22r (carbed) has the following advantage:

It'll start and run long enough for them to drive off. When the float bowl's empty, it won't run any more. If you're lucky, this will happen in the middle of a busy street. Not a great place to be ransacking a motorhome. They'll abandon ship! :)

That and a nice battery powered motion operated trail cam hidden behind dash to get a photo of the driver would be freaking hilarious wired to said kill switch so that when its armed its in photo taking mode. would get some nice facial expressions of the perp...

I followed what the alarm installers do around here. Put the switch in the starter feed ckt. If it fails while driving no effect, but it will not start with the switch off. One nice side effect of this is when you try to start it with the sw off when you turn it to the start position all the dash lites go out, looks like somethings wrong with the truck.

Our old TOYS can be easily be stolen with a strong screwdriver !!! Jam the door lock, jam the ignition switch and they're gone. I got my Co. van with all my tools stolen like this. Modern cars have electronics in the key so they are much harder to steal. I am ultimately gonna have an alarm put in mine, with the RV door also wired.

this is my nightmare...

It does not take long to break in and hot-wire toy trucks....

the screwdriver works to good! I used the door trick on my 1985 toy truck was to ez...(truck was stolen w/screwdriver trick...we got it back 3mos later two blocks away..no damage to anything but ignition.

when RV not in driveway on street i always think about my old truck and how ez it is to steal

will install kill switch in the next week and alarm later.....

just installed a double din indash Sony DVD player xav64bt great unit blutooth & Pandora use it for rear camera while driving(hooked power to lic.plate light)

so it turns on when i turn on the light...

thats like putting out candy for a baby (for RV thief's) the good you really have to peak in driver/passenger window to see it...

thank god i have good neighbors who keep their eye out for thief's

I followed what the alarm installers do around here. Put the switch in the starter feed ckt. If it fails while driving no effect, but it will not start with the switch off. One nice side effect of this is when you try to start it with the sw off when you turn it to the start position all the dash lites go out, looks like somethings wrong with the truck.

Our old TOYS can be easily be stolen with a strong screwdriver !!! Jam the door lock, jam the ignition switch and they're gone. I got my Co. van with all my tools stolen like this. Modern cars have electronics in the key so they are much harder to steal. I am ultimately gonna have an alarm put in mine, with the RV door also wired.

Another project to add to the ever expanding list.

Toyota trucks especially from the 80s are easy to steal with valet keys. Illegal but easily ordered from overseas.

My nissan truck and a string of nissan trucks were stolen and joy ridden in humboldt. They keys work on the ignition but not the doors. I do indeed leave my truck unlocked so it fit the profile.

Its absolutely true you can order a key that will run most toyota trucks.

The policeman investigating told me where to buy the cheapest imobilizer at harbor frieght.