4X4 Sunrader on Ebay

tlava

Not sure--but is this the one that was on CL last spring, I think, in the upper midwest or thereabouts? If so, I believe that one was not a full floater, but an upgrade kit of some sort?. I only mention this because the narrative sounds the same-- the owner was I believe an academic who had died, and his spouse was selling, etc.....anyway, I may be wrong-- it may not be the same one, but I'd ask for CU of the rear hub just to be safe...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1986-Toyota-4x4-18-foot-Sunrader-MotorHome-RV-/170911045875?forcev4exp=true

I can see it has the full floater in the pictures given, and has the 1 ton 6 lug front axle as well. I saw this one the other day and was truly impressed with it, but with a reserve not even met at 15,000 bucks, one would really want to have it extremely bad to shell out those bucks for an 18 foot 1986 with no cabin A/C, and stated previous water damage, no telling what was covered up. It's a great share. and a real beauty.

Roof air is fine. All Sunraders leak somewhere but no frame to rot. Actually this one is very little, just a little stain. True full float axle and custom 15 inch duallies in the back. No one has ever seen this one before for sale anywhere. Seller bought it recently from the widow of the original owner. He died recently at 89. According to his son he ordered this directly from the factory in Vallejo. They live in the Bay Area. This one also has the ceiling beam that wasn't generally available until 1987. It's worth every penny. Hell people pay this much for a used Camery.

Linda S

I can see it has the full floater in the pictures given, and has the 1 ton 6 lug front axle as well. I saw this one the other day and was truly impressed with it, but with a reserve not even met at 15,000 bucks, one would really want to have it extremely bad to shell out those bucks for an 18 foot 1986 with no cabin A/C, and stated previous water damage, no telling what was covered up. It's a great share. and a real beauty.

Absolutely nothing is covered or not as described. he went out of his way to detail every little blemish.

Linda S

Absolutely nothing is covered or not as described. he went out of his way to detail every little blemish.

Linda S

" Some Water Damage Under Left Rear Window, Small Panel has been replaced behind Table Cushion"

I've never seen any 1986 Used Camery sell for more that 1800 bucks, if you mean late model, well of course it's not over a quarter century old.

I agree it is nice, and absolutely the owner took great care and detail to present this offering, theres no question about it. I am only stating that a reserve price not yet met at $15,000 means it's more than that to just start the bidding process, and to me, a heafty price for any near 30 year old motorhome, no matter the make, mark, condition or style. Peace!

A standard 14" roof vent would replace the roof air.

I think it has the roof air, I think they are meaning that there is no Cab air? I say that because in the ad it states the generator ran the roof A/C fine? I see the unit vent and controls in the interior pics, and on top I think that is the roof air cover in the rear view?.

" Some Water Damage Under Left Rear Window, Small Panel has been replaced behind Table Cushion"

I've never seen any 1986 Used Camry sell for more that 1800 bucks, if you mean late model, well of course it's not over a quarter century old.

I agree it is nice, and absolutely the owner took great care and detail to present this offering, theres no question about it. I am only stating that a reserve price not yet met at $15,000 means it's more than that to just start the bidding process, and to me, a heafty price for any near 30 year old motorhome, no matter the make, mark, condition or style. Peace!

A 1990 Odyssey 4x4 sold recently for 24,000. That is the price these things cost. I have 2 Sunraders and water stains under all rear windows. Fiberglass flexes and breaks the seal on the those large windows. Have never seen one without some staining. Your talking about a thin piece of interior paneling. Nothing else there to rot away like a Dolphin.

Linda S

A 1990 Odyssey 4x4 sold recently for 24,000. That is the price these things cost. I have 2 Sunraders and water stains under all rear windows. Fiberglass flexes and breaks the seal on the those large windows. Have never seen one without some staining. Your talking about a thin piece of interior paneling. Nothing else there to rot away like a Dolphin.

Linda S

Hey, I understand that people want what they want, and if one is willing to pay $24,000 for a 22 year old motorhome then my hats off to them for having the desire and commitment to make such a grand expenditure to get their particular desire quenched. The same goes for someone wanting to start bidding over 15 grand for a uniquely quaint little 4X4 motorhome that has close to 30 years on it. If it's worth it to them, god bless them, very much! Heck, I read in a post here in our forum about someone (forgive my forgetting who it was) putting over $80,000.00 into their awesome customized Sunrader, and again, awesome for them, as that was worth the cost to them.

What I am saying, is for me, and age to me is age, no matter who made it. Unless everything has been completely replaced, then everything is still near 30 years old. From fridge, to furnace, to ball joints to all seals you name it, it’s old. The fact that it was custom made for them, or it looks pretty and its pristine, or the owner loved it like their only child, doesn’t change what just the passage of time is going to bring to the table whether it has been driven or not.

I agree, it’s one of the nicest Toyhomes ever, and I don't expect you to agree with me to what is good in my mind concerning value, as I stated, one wants what they want. I'm just stating one's opinion to what is realistic to them, and it’s truly not to me. Happy travels.

Agree w/ Linda this Sunrader is without doubt one of the nicest stock ones around. The p/o obviously took fantastic care of it and it shows. It's prob "$ worth $" whatever it is their asking. Some toyota motorhome enthusiast will eventually snatch it up and you can be certain it will fetch a decent coin. They will become part of the toyota motorhome family and talk about their wonderful little RV.

That being said, I also agree with David in that these motorhomes are WAY over priced for what you actually get. Buyers are either "blinded by hype", have money to burn, or both.

The sunrader has one great feature = fiberglass on 3 sides, but that's about it... which is quite a bit actually.

I can see it has the full floater in the pictures given, and has the 1 ton 6 lug front axle as well.

Not the 1 ton front axle on this one, just the regular IFS set-up for the 4x4 6lug stock...

:-)

you have two big dollor points equles value here . FIRST WE HAVE A SUNRADER A VERY SOUGHT AFTER TOYOTA RV. THEN THIS IS A VERY RARE FOUR WHEEL DRIVE. TO COMPAR AROUND HERE A TWO WHEEL DRIVE PICKUP TOYOTA MIGHT SELL FOR 2000 BUT A FOUR WHEEL DRIVE MORE THEN DOUBLES THE PRICE TO 4000 500 OR MORE EVEN THE SAME YEAR WITH HIGH MILES. I KNOW THIS BECAUSE I HAVE OWEND TWO 4WD XTRA CABS

I am guessing Value is subjective to everyone, including NADA. NADA shows the 1986 rear Dinette 18 foot unit Sunrader list pricing at $19,805 in 1986, but the 4X4 was not given as an option. The high book VALUE PRICE in 2012 is $1200.00 and the low VALUE PRICE is $980.00 bucks, and would double that as stated in the post for the 4X4 to $2400.00 and $1960.00 respectively. Even if one were to double those resale prices again, the starting bid is still 10 grand over that. Where’s the actual VALUE determined? The value is only in the one that wants it, and who will pay for it, nothing else.

Now, DESIRE PRICE comes in as something different than actual documented VALUE, and yes, I am sure there are those that will purchase the fine 4X4 ToyRader, and will pay any premium for the bragging rights of owning the unit. My 1983 Dolphin rear dinette listed at only 1000 bucks lower brand new and being 3 years prior to manufacture. Interestingly enough, NADA shows the exact book VALUE for both in 2012. We all know that the SunRader with its design was a better home, but the listed VALUE is the same.

I have about $6500.00 into mine, which includes what I bought it for, plus replacing most everything. I never would have put anything into if I was to just go on my book VALUE, and I am sure there are those that would say that dumping $6500.00 into a 1983 Dolphin was crazy as well. I did because that is what I FELT mine has been worth to ME so far, just as someone will pay a bazillion bucks for anything that will never return any investment on paper. I would never put another 10 grand into mine even if it was a SunRader, but I know there ARE those that would, and have.

Just as this post has shown, we all have our own ideas of what VALUE is to us, but it isn’t based upon any actual on paper VALUE, it's based on personal desire and what VALUE means to the individual aside from actual documented worth. I hope someone gets it, and the unit brings them joy and endless adventure.

Nada is a joke. KBB is a joke; you cannot use something designed for general population automobiles to value a motor home. Its the same reason why one should HEAVILY consider separate insurance riders on their RV because the insurance will otherwise only replace the NADA.

To be honest its probably why they even have a price on these in Nada. the NADA is the value of just the truck; nothing else.

Blue Books are always a joke when they don’t reflect the opinions of someone determining their own value of something. Comparison is subjective to the beholder, and all I have been trying to state here. The value comes based upon emotional desire over actual documented value for something like our 25 plus year old Toyhomes. Because of those feelings, when it comes to something that does give market values, like a Blue Book, it's rejected completely.

Whether a joke or not, I do beg to differ though about NADA determining resale values only for cars and trucks, they give pricing and values for the whole specific Motorhome, Boats, Motorcycles, and Classic Cars as well....

http://www.nadaguide...ndard-Equipment

uh huh and there are a whole bunch of 86 sunraders going for 980 bucks right David>? laughable.

NADA is supposed to take in sales data but instead its a law of diminishing returns that's ratio calculated instead of comp.

uh huh and there are a whole bunch of 86 sunraders going for 980 bucks right David>? laughable.

NADA is supposed to take in sales data but instead its a law of diminishing returns that's ratio calculated instead of comp.

Come on Totem, of course not. But there is nothing stating that one is worth 15000 bucks either EXCEPT ones desire to pay that much for one. I choose to believe its ridicules, and you do not, and my point exactly. It’s all a SUBJECTIVE marketplace and nothing more. Just as to me, paying over 100,000 bucks for a 70 Baracuda Hemi would be ridicules. Yeah they are awesome, their cool, they are rare and yes, someone would pay it and have, just not me! When it comes down to most things that old, except for the desire to have it, and one's willingness to pay whatever it takes to get it, the whole subject would be moot.... Peace Brother!

Actual value of anything is determined buy how much it sells for. Nada is historically aimed at bringing the price down for dealer trade ins so they can resell it for tons. I have seen 4x4 Sunraders that were in terrible condition go for 14 grand and have never seen one less than 10 grand. One of the guys on my group paid 18,500 last year for one. At least this one on Ebay now is exactly as it appears to be and The price of these is not going down. Only 4x4 alternative is the Tiger Provan CX and you will drop closer to 50 grand for a 4x4 one of those. They are also bigger and less MPG. I don't like the fact that my doctor gets paid 300 bucks for 10 minutes of his time either but thats the cost of living now.

Linda S

Don't know why this upsets you so. it's nothing you would consider buying, we get that

It upsets him because he believes Nada is actual comp sales based on his perceived value. Nada and Kelly are SUPPOSED to be means of actualy comps.

clearly they are NOT and I believe this because of the VIN that they use to track the sale. I'm a numbers and IT guy; so I will tell you; they need something to be the index of the database; the primary key. That something is VIN. I bet if you Nada or KBB a 1986 toyota pickup truck it comes up $980....

Nada is useless for toy homes.

I give up, and not even close to your preception of what "him" believes. My preception has been, and tried my best to be clearly stated, that no one will accept what NADA states as the price points for these things because it's so low. Unfortunately those type of guides are the only actual documented price points. As such, Value on ToyHomes are determined only by who wants one and what they are willing to pay to get it, and nothing else. Due to that fact, we find ourselves in stupid arguments about what we each think value is. Peace!

I think Nada and KBB are ok as guides for almost all other vehicles personally; just not Toy Homes or any motorhome vehicle that has a VIN on a domestic chassis.

So I am not arguing anything other than its not good to even be used as a guide on toyhomes or domestic big 3 class C's.

-Also, I disagree with you on value being emotional.

There is a tangible value on solar panels, monitors, rear view cameras, charge controllers, inverters, and any other improvement.

True enough Nada wont take into account replaced parts either but I am talking remodeling value... thats not emotional so much as cost and provable via receipts.

Persoanlly, I dont either, and I think the guides arent good for anything but profit for the dealers of anything being traded or sold by them. I only brought up the NADA to show that there is nothing documented worth using to determine value on toyhomes, and only a desire driven marketplace. I guess I did it poorly. Happy Travels.

No worries, David, not trying to give you a hard time; merely thought you were outraged at the price point of this vehicle.

condition condition condition on classic cars and these ARE classic vehicles. They just arent being given the respect - yet - that they deserve by Kbb and Nada. Perhaps we as a group should write them?

No problem, and was not outraged, just that I myself would never pay that for something, but I know that someone else would, and that value to one is not to another. I think that as a group forming an association larger than a forum would be interesting. Triple A started as an erroneous club way back when, and look at them now.... I think Yahoo Groups believe they are, LOL!

My last word on this.When I bought my Sunrader over 8 years ago NADA valued it at 1200 dollers. My insurance company used KBB and valued it at 5500 dollars. Only a few hundred less than I paid. The RV KBB is a purchase only item and costs about 150 dollars to buy so I don't think anyone here is quoting it. Still low compared to the demand for Sunraders but much more realistic. Now I have no idea how close they might be. I have seen too many older 82 and 83 Sunraders going for 8 and 9 thousand this summer.

Linda S