Toyota Motorhome for a year trip Pan American highway

vicmillon

Hello to everyone!

My name is Victor, Im from Chile, and living in Canada for a year.

At the end of that year, me and my girlfriend, wants to come back to our country

driving all the way down in a year trip, visiting more than 15 countries and

45.000 kms of adventures.

I was researching since march what is the best option to travel

has to be fuel efficiency, has to have a shower and toilet (girfriend

ultimatum)and of course has to be a reliable and good vehicle, world presence,

and easy to fix and find parts all over the continent.

So after a lot, and believe me, was a lot of research, we think than a Toyota is a

very good option

Now, the question is wich one...

Well, we have a budget, and dont want to stretch the budget that much.

So, basically i would like to ask the experts wich Toyota is the best option

-4 cylinders? v6?

- model? and why? options?

- what about the Lite Ace 4X4 Motorhome? rare to find, but looks pretty good!

And any other info, im doing my homework, reading about the head gasket issues, rear axle, etc...

the most popular toyotas, etc, etc, but im always ask for advice when im a noob

in a subject.

Many many thanks in advance and pardon my english is not the best

Victor and Caro

:closedeyes:

I would definitely get the 4 cylinder. 22re.

the main thing is to take the time to dial it in so its not going to break down.

showereing on the road in the rv is not really going to work. youll need to hit motels or just rv stops.

my last check on allofcraigs.com says that this is an absolutely terrible time to try and buy a toyota motorhome

even old ones going for 4 5k.

I listed my 85 for 6k and i dont want to sell it at all i want to keep it for life but I think someone will try to get it.

I really dont think you have a huge shopping selection.

ive seen even mid 70s chinnooks going for over 3k locally, covered with rust. just a few months ago, they would have gone for 1500.

allofcraigs.com shows theres a few in the whole country even for sale . I havent seen one under 5k not sell for a long time now.

If you don't care about getting around fast, I would stick with the 4 cylinder 22-RE engine. It doesn't have as much power, but it will get better gas mileage and should have less problems than the V6.

If you can get a V6 that had the head gasket replaced already, then I would suggest getting a V6. The 3.0 V6 is extremely underpowered for a V6 and the 3.0 has lots of problems that the later 3.4 didn't have (head gasket issues due to too much heat on the 6th cylinder from the exhaust manifold). The 3.4 is much more powerful too (an additional 40hp for a total of 190 hp. The 4 cylinder has 113 hp and the V6 3.0 has 150 hp (but it sure doesn't feel like it). Too bad they stopped making the motorhome before the 3.4's were released in 1995. The V6 gets an honest 12.5 - 14 mpg no matter how much it's loaded down, no matter if you're on the highway or in the city. I'd imagine the 4 cylinder (I have a 4 cylinder toyota pickup that gets about 20 mpg highway) would get about 14-16 mpg city/highway.

As far as models, I would recommend the Sunrader for it's 1 piece construction (leak proof compared to the stick-frame models). I live in an Odyssey full-time, which is an awesome floor plan with plenty of room. I use the shower all of the time, totally off-grid, and it works just fine. I run the fridge/freezer 24/7, use the propane stove nearly every day, and occasionally turn the furnace on for heat. I only have to fill my tiny propane bottle about once a month at most (that will change in the winter once it cools off and I start using the furnace more). The water tank is easy to fill up for free at practically any gas station, and dumping sewage and sink/shower water is also free at most gas stations & easy to do (do that about once a month also).

Good luck finding a 4x4. I looked long and hard for mine, they are very difficult to come by. Someone is selling a really nice 21 ft. 4 cylinder Sunrader on the Toyota motorhomes site (not this site). You should check that one out. Good luck and keep questions coming as you think of them!

Timmy

www.timmystoyota.blogspot.com

Its a hard question to answer honestly for me because Ive been looking at toy homes and I honestly think they are all so expensive I coulndt recomend any of them.

I would focus just on the ones that are going for 3k or less, like most were just a monnth ago.

3k might have been too cheap but 5k is too much for the average 22re model like mine.

theyre not only going for that they are selling fast too.

I really dont think you have any sort of model you can shop for. If you want a toyota motorhome in x time frame, you have only so many to even consider in the whole country and canada. If you find any for 4k start there.

I got mine for 1600 just 2 weeks ago but im a pro.

If it were me, right at this moment stuck buying at market value I wouldnt pay 5k ffor a toyota motorhome.

I might be more in the market for a lesharo. Headaches and all I would take the 1000s off in price difference and dial it in. Other than reliability those are awesome.

its just a dollars and cents thing honestly.

If you have two or three to compare maybe the forum could at least compare them for you.

I have a feeling I would make sure it had a 6 lug rear wheel for driving central american roads. that would be a must, so the ones that are 85 or earlier must have 6 lug that seems set.

I like the 22RE (Electronic Fuel Injection)

I original wanted a manual trans, but after driving, I thin I rather have the Auto (a lot of shifting is required)

I bough mine specifically to do an Alaska drive (12,000 miles RT) so I was looking for something in top mechanical condition, and not to much water leak rot. I paid $5,000 for mine, and put another $4,000 into it.

Even though it was in very good condition, I still went through it, inspected everything and brought everything up to date both maintenance and systems. 7 new tires, you want to do this.

You can take a look at this link to see some of the stuff I did.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

An important consideration is getting across the Darien Gap. There used to be RoRo (roll on, roll off) service available but it looks like that might not exist any more.

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/thread.jspa?threadID=2164684

You might be restricted to a motorhome that'll fit in a container.

Better check before buying.

well here's what your looking for and it is a beauty. Unfortunately it's on the other side of Canada. Price reduced to 10,900 and I don't think you could find a better buy. At 30 miles per gallon with the diesel and the distance your going it will pay for itself. Almost double the mileage of a gas unit

http://fredericton.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-RVs-campers-trailers-RVs-motorhomes-1991-Toyota-Lite-Ace-Motor-Home-W0QQAdIdZ385083113

These are extremely rare even in Canada. I did see some reasonably priced Toyota motorhomes on Vancouver craigslist. Or you might consider a 4x4 truck and camper.

LS

Don't forget that the 30 mpg quoted is more than likely Imperial gallons, which would convert to 24 miles/US gallon. Maybe add a bit because it's got a 'For Sale' sign on it, too.

There's a guy local to me with a couple of similar ones for sale that also have a slide-out. I've no idea how much he's asking. I'll try and find out.

Here's a Mash-up site that has many Toy's all over. If you have problems bringing up the mashed site, just copy and paste the given address to your browser, and it will take you to the ad. Some are in Washington and Oregon which might work if being in the western part of Canada. Good Luck, and safe travels if you are able to find what you want! Peace!

http://rv.jaxed.com/...=toyota&cat=rvs

The 22RE is the engine to get the 3L 6 (the only one offered in a Toyota MH) has more power but not enough to make a huge difference. About the only thing with the 22RE is timing chains and at that only when you reach 100 to 150K The 6 is complex and expensive to repair if some thing goes wrong. I agree with your lady it has to have a shower even a short one is better then none. The body style is up to you what ever you like or probably what your lady likes even more. The Sunraders are fiber glass that's nice but far harder to find and a great deal more expensive and there bodes had problems too. The biggest thing to look out for is water damage no matter what you buy. 4X4 are really hard to find and expensive the one ton duel wheel MH have a fair amount of traction as long as it's not muddy. And while on the topic of one ton rears do not except a MH that does not have a one ton rear (it will have 6 bolts on the wheels) The Toyota MH's have a cult following (that keeps the price high) but not every one knows that and there are begins to be found just keep looking you'll find what you want.

Darion Gap crossing. Couple from the Tiger provan group drove their 4x4 Tiger from the artic circle to the tip of Patagonia a couple of years ago.Year long trip and 60,000 miles. They had to cross the Gap a couple of times and didn't even mention it so it can't be that hard to find passage

LS

Hi Victor,

The four cylinder model will be the best for your trip. Make sure the vehicle has the six-lug, one ton, full floating axle on the rear. Check the date code on the tires and replace them if they're over six years old. All of the models of Toyota motorhomes are good for your trip and, of course, the newer ones will probably have less miles and wear and tear on them.

Try to test everything on the motorhome because some of the items, like the refrigerator, are expensive to repair or replace. Run the water system and make sure the shower and toilet work. The showers are small in all the Toyota motorhomes but they work just fine and can really refresh your day while on the road. Also, get the largest propane tank that will fit in the space provided. You'll be glad you did.

Your journey home sounds like the trip of a lifetime! Enjoy yourself.

John

RV Shower:

guys, anyone ever replace the crappy stock shower wand with a new state of the art efficiency wand?

I have one... haven't hooked it up yet as I have been waiting to see if its worth the tear down of the sink...

I can honestly say that with the stock water tank my 21 foot sunrader gave me a nice 25 second shower during deer camp last year; enough to soap the pits and kill the entire tank of water; remember the heater eats 8 gallons or so per cycle

With 2 people and careful showers, we could go 2 days. The problem was the gray tanks size, not fresh water. We had enough freshwater for 3-4 days. Of course you could just "leak" the gray water somewhere.

Look at the Class B van conversions, not Toyota MPG, but better ground clearance and more common size tires. Just have to make up the bed each stop.

Hello to everyone, and thank you very much for your replys

Now i have a better idea what to look for..

Looks like the Sunrader is a good option, but difficult to find..

and i check the prices and now they are between 5000-12000, peak season

I think im goping to wait a little bit and find the right one...

Im not in a rush... but will be nice to have it soon, so i can learn a little bit...

Thanks again, i have more questions, but im leaving now,

best

The 22RE is the best toyhouse engine, IMO for someone here in the US. It has great drivability over large altitude changes, but, I don't believe it is the best choice for you.

You are going to be traveling in some pretty remote places where you are not likely to find an ECU or other vital part sitting on the shelf in the local autoparts store. I think your best bet is a 20/22R carburetor/manual tranny setup. You give up a few hp with the carb, but, get them back with the manual tranny. There are 22RE manual tranny setups out there, but, good luck finding one. Most of the carbed models are 4 speeds. Also, you may be using fuel of questionable quality. My guess is that a carb would deal with crappy gas better than the fuel injection.

An important consideration is getting across the Darien Gap. There used to be RoRo (roll on, roll off) service available but it looks like that might not exist any more.

http://www.lonelypla...hreadID=2164684

You might be restricted to a motorhome that'll fit in a container.

Better check before buying.

thats new!!!

i trust in that system for my car shipment, and looks like theres a new ship than is going to do the job, but, is not ready yet, maybe for the next year...

Here i find the most updated info

http://www.drivenachodrive.com/about-the-trip/information-about-the-new-ferry-from-panama-to-colombia/

I think will be good to choose a 18" or 19" motorhome

You are going to be traveling in some pretty remote places where you are not likely to find an ECU or other vital part sitting on the shelf in the local autoparts store. I think your best bet is a 20/22R carburetor/manual tranny setup. You give up a few hp with the carb, but, get them back with the manual tranny. There are 22RE manual tranny setups out there, but, good luck finding one. Most of the carbed models are 4 speeds. Also, you may be using fuel of questionable quality. My guess is that a carb would deal with crappy gas better than the fuel injection.

Our original plan is to buy parts in Canada and USA, because we can find a mechanic in other places, but we dont want to wait a month for the part, or have to pay extra...

What you are saying is very important, because we are choosing Toyota, because we believe, (and please correct me if im wrong), than should be plenty of parts...

I have to make a list of parts that i should buy, but that is something that i want to do with a mechanic.

I prefer manual tran, i drove al my life just manual cars, but looks like people love automatic in north america... manual is difficult to find...

the other thing i have to research is, what if i buy the car in USA

-Do i have to import to Canada??? I donot have a Canadian citizen, just working visa for 1 year...

-Insurance??? from USA??, Canada???

We are going to start next year , so we would love to travel around Canada with the Toy first!

And, what do you think of this one?

http://kelowna.en.craigslist.ca/rvs/3086151601.html

I think is a little bit expensive, but looks pretty good =)

my last check on allofcraigs.com says that this is an absolutely terrible time to try and buy a toyota motorhome

even old ones going for 4 5k.

I listed my 85 for 6k and i dont want to sell it at all i want to keep it for life but I think someone will try to get it.

I really dont think you have a huge shopping selection.

That is another question..

How much should i pay for the Toy???

Edited by vicmillon

The one you posted a link to is a "true" 1 ton, meaning 6 lug wheels all around. This is a good thing in that your spare will fit all positions. They didn't mention mileage, which generally is a bad thing, but, perhaps they just forgot about it. The price, 6800 is on the high end, in my opinion, especially for something other than a sunrader or novastar.

Personally, I would pass on that one. 6 lugs all around is nice, but, not a necessity. If being under 20 ft is a plus, look for a sunrader 18 fter, rear dinette. I think this layout is perfect for a couple.

Fortunately, time is on your side. Start looking now, as a deal can pop up any time of year, but, the best time to buy is in the fall/winter. Ideally, you should buy this fall, which will give you time to get used to it and iron out any bugs before you hit the road. It will also give you time to make a few trips of a few weeks in it. Doing this will give you a better feel for the experience and help you decide whether or not you want to even do this. I think you will, but, better to find out now than somewhere in Panama.

if it's as nice as they claim, might be decent buy. i paid 4500 for similar with v6, but quickly spent another 1500 to make it all work and drive better. who knows, may take a little less too. could be at least a good starting point to start looking if you haven't yet.

The one you posted a link to is a "true" 1 ton, meaning 6 lug wheels all around. This is a good thing in that your spare will fit all positions. They didn't mention mileage, which generally is a bad thing, but, perhaps they just forgot about it. The price, 6800 is on the high end, in my opinion, especially for something other than a sunrader or novastar.

Personally, I would pass on that one. 6 lugs all around is nice, but, not a necessity. If being under 20 ft is a plus, look for a sunrader 18 fter, rear dinette. I think this layout is perfect for a couple.

Fortunately, time is on your side. Start looking now, as a deal can pop up any time of year, but, the best time to buy is in the fall/winter. Ideally, you should buy this fall, which will give you time to get used to it and iron out any bugs before you hit the road. It will also give you time to make a few trips of a few weeks in it. Doing this will give you a better feel for the experience and help you decide whether or not you want to even do this. I think you will, but, better to find out now than somewhere in Panama.

i was thinking the same thing...

Wait until the end of the season, but always looking, cause you never know

So, if the sunrader is number 1 option, witch model will be number 2 and 3????

I really like the Nova Star. It is a beautiful looking rig and looks as though it is fairly watertight. Probably not as resistant to water intrusion as a Sunrader, but, certainly better than typical construction with all sorts of seams that need watching after.

There is one possible problem with Sunraders. They are built for short people. Make that short thin people. My current rig, an Odyssey is at the other end of the spectrum. Parked side by side, the Sunrader looks as though it would fit inside the Odyssey. I am 6 ft and I had to lean a bit while standing and duck when I got near the AC. If you are 6 ft or better, this could be an issue, especially after being in it for a long time.

Beyond those two makes, I really can't give any educated opinions.

The 22RE is the best toyhouse engine, IMO for someone here in the US. It has great drivability over large altitude changes, but, I don't believe it is the best choice for you.

how can a 5 speed 22r have more hp than an auto 22re? Ill race you for pinks on that notion. the auto is a 4 speed and that 4th gear is the only reason it can hit 70. no way the 5 speed can even keep up.

also even though its not so aparent from pictures, the sunrader isnt so different in height, like 4 to five inches, as it is in width, like 2 feet. And the insides are jam packed with the same rv stuff in a dolphin, except theres no floor space.

I love em but I saw the inside of an 18 footer and it was crowded. In my dolphin I can actually set up my folding chair as another chair in the hall so to speak. In a sunrader there is no such space you move by the stove and fridge stepping sideways.

I dont think a sunrader is any better qualified to make it to south america as any other make but it is a bit nicer. Ive never seen figures but it stands to reason it gets better gas mileage with less wind resistance.

Ive seen toyhomes even a touch bigger than my dolphin, like about 6 inches taller annd wider. I believe the oddysey is one of those.

WME - I bought a tank drain cover that has a garden hose attachment. I have a 5 ft long hose that if I'm able, I attach the short hose to the tank drain and allow the grey water to drain into the flower bed or grassy area. My grey is fairly clean, i.e. rinsing out coffee cup, wash hands, etc, no harsh detergents or soap etc.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

i agree that you probably want the all six lug set up. front and rear.

Like my 85 has 6 lug rear but 5 lug front. Nothing wrong with that functionally except the spare only works on the front. i dont carry a 6 lug spare.

If you had a 6 lug front you could carry 1 spare for everything.

or 2 spares that work anywhere etc. I can see getting a flat tire as a bigger deal in central america too. So you want an 86 or newer one.

how can a 5 speed 22r have more hp than an auto 22re? Ill race you for pinks on that notion. the auto is a 4 speed and that 4th gear is the only reason it can hit 70. no way the 5 speed can even keep up.

also even though its not so aparent from pictures, the sunrader isnt so different in height, like 4 to five inches, as it is in width, like 2 feet. And the insides are jam packed with the same rv stuff in a dolphin, except theres no floor space.

I love em but I saw the inside of an 18 footer and it was crowded. In my dolphin I can actually set up my folding chair as another chair in the hall so to speak. In a sunrader there is no such space you move by the stove and fridge stepping sideways.

I dont think a sunrader is any better qualified to make it to south america as any other make but it is a bit nicer. Ive never seen figures but it stands to reason it gets better gas mileage with less wind resistance.

Ive seen toyhomes even a touch bigger than my dolphin, like about 6 inches taller annd wider. I believe the oddysey is one of those.

the auto tranny has a fair bit of loss compared to the manuals. i have talked to a number of people with manuals who seem to do better than the autos, especially with hill climbing.

the sunrader is a fair bit shorter than some others and when it comes to height, 3 or 4 inches is huge. they certainly are quite a bit narrower. as for it making it, to chile, yes, the drivetrain is the most important thing. my point is that on a year long trip, you haven't the time to be fussing with leaky seams.

ok the 22re has 15 more hp and 5 more lb ft tq.

It has 1 less speed. think of it sort of like a 4 speed 1 2 3 and 5( or 6)

I did the jump from the 4 speed 20r to the auto 22re and the auto 22re is a speed demon in comparison getting to 75 flooring it.

the 22r is closer to the 20r than the 22re in power.

ya as far as hills go thats not necessarily the correct race, it should be just flat. On a hill you disengage overdrive it has a manual overdrive button, sort of an old school 4th gear that if you dont take it off it might seem like more of a dog up a hill....