I am seeing a small seam in the sidewall from the bead to the tread that I have not seen on any of the many tires I've owned over the years. So I called the toll-free # for Hankook and talked to a teck who said this was a lap seam in the sidewall and was normal, but to take it to the tire dealer for a check for peace of mind. While I had him on the line I asked if he could provide me with a load / tire pressure chart for this tire (RA08) he said he would be happy to e-mail me one. In passing I told him about the Natl RV sticker behind the drivers seat that had all the load info with the recommended 36# ft and 45# rear, which I thought was way too low, this was the response:

John,

I have had some difficulty finding a digital chart to email to you. However, I have done some calculations based on my reference materials and the loads that you estimate each tire will need to carry. I have come to the conclusion that the vehicle conversion manufacturer has provided you with quality tire pressure recommendations.

Front - 36psi (248kpa) = approx 1200 lbs of load capacity per tire (single application)

Rear - 45psi (310kpa) = approx 1400 lbs of load capacity per tire (dual application)

You can increase inflation according to additional loads and tire wear.

Sincerely,

Nicholas Tufo

Coordinator

Quality & Service Team

I would really like to get this rig to ride smoother, I am currently using 55# ft and 57# rear what pressures are other Hankook tire owners using ??? Anyone going this low ???

I don't know of anyone going that low but I found a pressure/ load chart for tires and the numbers look right. A 35% reduction in load for the front and a 24% reduction in the back with the lower pressures. I'm wondering if there are other things were not considering though. I run my fronts at 50 and my rear at 55 but I have a light 5000lb Sunrader. The wear on the tires looks perfectly even. Hope someone else posts and gives you other factors that might affect tire performance and safety. Got a feeling that their must be some cause at that pressure we could be running car tires and none of us do and were told repeatedly it's dangerous

LS

I am seeing a small seam in the sidewall from the bead to the tread that I have not seen on any of the many tires I've owned over the years. So I called the toll-free # for Hankook and talked to a teck who said this was a lap seam in the sidewall and was normal, but to take it to the tire dealer for a check for peace of mind. While I had him on the line I asked if he could provide me with a load / tire pressure chart for this tire (RA08) he said he would be happy to e-mail me one. In passing I told him about the Natl RV sticker behind the drivers seat that had all the load info with the recommended 36# ft and 45# rear, which I thought was way too low, this was the response:

John,

I have had some difficulty finding a digital chart to email to you. However, I have done some calculations based on my reference materials and the loads that you estimate each tire will need to carry. I have come to the conclusion that the vehicle conversion manufacturer has provided you with quality tire pressure recommendations.

Front - 36psi (248kpa) = approx 1200 lbs of load capacity per tire (single application)

Rear - 45psi (310kpa) = approx 1400 lbs of load capacity per tire (dual application)

Sincerely,

Nicholas Tufo

Coordinator

Quality & Service Team

I would really like to get this rig to ride smoother, I am currently using 55# ft and 57# rear what pressures are other Hankook tire owners using ??? Anyone going this low ???

I run 50psi in front and back. My tires are less than a year old and have over 12,000 miles on them, wear looks normal (can't really see any)

I run about 65 psi in the rear airbags

Ride is smooth, and it drives like a school bus.

JOhn Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

I have run 45 to 60# front and rear over the past 4 years and 41K miles. Tires are Nexen 185-R-14 made in Korea. I would recomend them to anyone. Anyway the last time I got the oil changed the tires had about 5-32's of tread left and running fairly true across the surface. At 45# the rig runs smother over bumps than at 60#, but gas mileage is a little better at 60#. My rig weights out at 6700# on the state of oregon weigh stations, that is when loaded up for a trip. Darrel

I got a new set of Hankooks in July. The dealer set them up with 45 front, 55 rear. I thought the ride was a little rough, but gas mileage is up and sway is much, much better than the old P205's we removed.

I love my new tires.

Bob

I read somewhere on this forum a while ago, that 3X(?) lbs in the rear tires was okay (tried searching the other day, could not find it). I am currently running Hankook 195R14 RA08s in the rear with 40lbs each, and 35lbs in the front 185R14 off brand tires (what came on the MH). The 195R14 tires can carry slightly more than 200lbs than the 185R14 tires at 65lbs. The Gardner MH door sticker says 26lbs in the front, and the GVWR is 5500 lbs, so 40lbs of air in the rear tires is more thanenough to support the GVWR of the entire MH.

To further insure that you have a smooth ride, check to see that your shackle and leaf spring bushing are not worn through. Metal on metal contact will have a very hard ride (which mine had)! If they are worn,and the ride is important to you, replace them with the Toyota factory rubber bushings. If you want a much longer life and better handling, then use polyurethane bushings, the ride will be firmer,but not as hard as metal on metal, if the factory bushings are shot. Also make sure that you have good shocks, our Sunrader came with Monroe Gas-Magnums which I could feel every pebble in the road, after I replaced them with KYBs, the ride was much more confortable! Previously the back end would not even budge if I bounced up and down on the rear bumper, and I weigh almost 200lbs.

John,

Sincerely,

Nicholas Tufo

Coordinator

Quality & Service Team

My tires are rated 65 lbs max, so I run 60 in the rears and 45 in the front.

Gulfstream Greg

My tires are rated 65 lbs max, so I run 60 in the rears and 45 in the front.

I forgot to mention before that one very interesting thing the rep said to me that was a real suprise was when I asked about the plys vs. ply rating he told me that they actually have only 3 plys in the sidewall !!!!! I did notice when I picked them up that the side walls didn't seem as thick as I thought they would be.

vanman

A 6 ply rating is just that it does not mean it has 6 ply's only it's rating is 6 ply. That's ok tires are far superior then they once were and can get by just fine with 3 ply's. I think you may find a coach manufactures sticker some where near the Toyota plate or behind the drivers seat that has their ideal on how much the tire pressure should be my Nova Star said 50 PSI all around and the Toyota one a whole lot less because they did not think it would ever have a house on it's back.

Went on the Felton run at 45# ft and 51# rear, set in morning when really cold. Rides really well now , forgot to write down the hot pressure for front, but pump-up was less than 5 #'s with tire hot.

vanman

• 2 months later...

Nexen? Hankook? I'm searching tirerack.com and finding neither of these. The only thing I'm finding in 185R14 is Yokohama or Continental. Are you running car tires? Just purchased a 91 dolphin (had a 4 cyl 1978 years back) and am not finding many choices for tires. Mine appear to be quite aged although good tread and would like to start with a fresh set of 6. Please tell me wher to go look, thanks

Nexen SV820. These are the tires that are available at Les Swab. They put their name on them but Nexen makes the

LS

The Hankook is the 'RA08'. There have been a number to install these recently in the correct 185R14 Load Range D size. I do believe Nexen has a suitable tire, but I don't know the Model.

• 3 months later...

When I bought my 87 Dolphin two years ago it had (Goodyear?)Wrangler HT 185 R 14 Load range C on the rears and some passenger car tires P195R14 on the front. I ran between 55 and 60 lbs in the rear and 40 (5 over the 35 max on the sidewall) in front. Recently I found the date code on the rear Wrangler HT's was 1900 so these tires are more than 11 years old even though they have lots of tread and only about 5000 miles on them. So I just put Hankook RA08's all around. (date code 3311) The tire shop customarily sets inflation at sidewall max so I drove home with 65 lbs in front and back. Driving home I thought this is too much air in front for sure and maybe also in back. After reading the above posts, (thanks to all who posted!) I have decided to lower the fronts from 65 down to 50 and the rears from 65 down to 60 and see what happens. I may try cutting the fronts down to 45 but want to see how 50 does first.

Second thing, I have a terrible time getting my guage and my air chuck on the duals. I have the two-way chuck on both but is seems I still need about a sixteenth to an eighth of an inch more clearance. I have metal valve stems. On one rear wheel the valve stem is mounted a little crooked and the extra room on one side makes using guage or air chuck really easy. Do I need to buy a different brand of tool that is not so bulky? If so what is the right brand and model? Or is there another solution? I have considered having the metal stems taken off, new gaskets put on , and getting them re-mounted a little bit crooked on purpose, but don't want that expense and hassle. Ideas? Bob Beery

Sorry about the late reply, yes they are Load Range C. When I brought my Toyota 5 years ago I did not know about this

website and my Toyota had three brand new Goodyear Wrangler HT 185R14C tires on it and the other three were two different

brands, cracking, and 10 years old so I decided to match the rest of the tires up with Goodyears.

The max single load is 1710 and the max as duels is 1550. Three are now 5 years old and the other three are 6 years old

with a little over 20,000 miles on them and they still look great, but will be replacing them with 195R14D in the next

year or two.

Dennis B.

Are those Load Range C? I didn't know Goodyear offered anything suitable. What's marked on the sidewall for maximum load, 1600lb @ 50psi?

bufbooth

Sorry about the late reply, yes they are Load Range C. When I brought my Toyota 5 years ago I did not know about this website and my Toyota had three brand new Goodyear Wrangler HT 185R14C tires on it and the other three were two different brands, cracking, and 10 years old so I decided to match the rest of the tires up with Goodyears. The max single load is 1710 and the max as duels is 1550. Three are now 5 years old and the other three are 6 years old with a little over 20,000 miles on them and they still look great, but will be replacing them with 195R14D in the next<br />year or two.

Dennis B.

The 195r14's I looked at before getting the RA08's were ok as far as the width on the real duals, but the rolling radius was larger, which would have the effect of slightly gearing the RV higher. I personally think it's too high already. First is ok but I would like the rest to be much lower, the V6 won't pull overdrive anymore. When I drove it home from Idahoe it was stripped clean and mostly downhill so it was fine. Once we loaded it up, BIG difference. If I do anything more to this thing it would be; a lotta more HP, or more realistically a lower ratio rear end with a air-locker added.

vanman

I roll on RA08 D's set at 56 lbs (though they are marked for 65) all around on new shackle bushings, a sway bar, and Bilstein shocks front and back and T9 Airbags set at 65 Lbs..

The strut swaybar and tire upgrades were done gradually; the sunrader had original (blown) shocks that were monroe i think though they were so rusted it was hard to tell, no swaybar and some off brand of tire that looked hardly used at all but cracked so I put new tires on and had bilsteins done in back. That seem to make a good difference but the swaying was bad. So recently Alan talked me into trying a swaybar and that I think was the single handed best thing for the ride of the rv (in the back)... however it REALLy exposed how poorly the front was bouncing which was still on the old monroes. Had Bilsteins put in in the front and man oh man I have NO fear of handling a hot mug of coffee with the wife driving while moving about now.

Now just for personal opinion I would like to run 65 lbs in my RA08 tires however I have 1 tire gauge (piston type) showing 60 lbs and a digital tire gauge showing 56 lbs. As Dennis has mentioned before tire gauges can be off by 5 lbs so i didnt want to go over 60 in case the piston gauge is the right one.