About 6 months ago I purchased a full floating 1 ton 2WD axle to swap into my 76 Chinook. Today, I finally got around to tearing it down only to find that the previous owner galled the threads on the axle housing. I was able to get the retaining nut off (it was a total PITA!) without screwing up the threads any worse than they already were, but need to chase the threads on the axle housing before I can rebuild it. 

Does anyone know what size / pitch the threads are for this? I've looked online and cant really find any info. Thanks!

PXL_20240202_213410983.NIGHT.jpg

Edited by Olds77421

• Olds77421 changed the title to 1 Ton Rear End Axle Housing Thread Size

try to find a metric thread pitch gauge. should not be expensive.  then get a thread file.  i have 2 and each one has 8 different files

Take the nut you removed to the hardware store.

Hardware store will not have that information.

Best bet is to bring the nut to a dealer parts department. If nothing else, they can probably determine the thread pitch for you.

Buying the correct die to chase the threads is going to be expensive. Probably a dealer only item.

Good luck.

Agree with Fred - that's a crazy huge thread for most hardware stores. Also agree on the die going to be hard to find/pricey.  You might consider buying a couple new nuts (they're relatively cheap - it's those two flat ones, eh?  Or is it the complex castellated nut?  Anyhow, consider a new nut and some cutting fluid.  Just run it back and forth a few times, hit with a wire brush and repeat.  Galling is OK to stay in service (vs stripped/damaged) especially if right at the point you check torque there is no/minimal galling. I think this setup also uses a positive retention so it won't move in service. In other words, it may not be a big deal at all - just annoying. In fact, I'll say if the threads are not galled where the nut comes to rest in service, then I would do nothing but wire brush and maybe some picking with a pick.  A closer picture might be instrumental - your photo is not clear/close enough to see anything.