I'm having a hard time locating a 1 ton Toyota full floater but I found a Chevy 14-bolt full floating axle off of a 1979 K20 and it's geared in either 4.10 or 4.56 (seller unsure).

I think this should work out okay for my 1984 Sunrader but I'm a little over my head in this axle stuff. Does anyone see any problems with this idea?

axle.png

bolt pattern will be different front to rear. spring perches will need to be moved, u joints not compatible, width?

bolt pattern will be different front to rear. spring perches will need to be moved, u joints not compatible, width?

where are you located?

Agree with Extech and the differential / U joint flange and driveshaft length will be a significant $$ issue.  Where are you located?

https://toyotamotorhome.org/forums/index.php?/topic/8365-axle-swap-foolie-to-1-ton-full-float/#elControls_72800_menu

I’ve done the swap. Read my link then I’ll try to answer any questions.

10 minutes ago, Sossy said:

I'm in the greater Seattle area.

The seller says it's 66" face to face.

I saw that they sell some adapter plates for the drive line but I didn't consider length.

I do hate the fact that id have to carry 2 spares..

Is that 66” from drum face to drum face or 66” from o/s tire face to o/s tire face. The tire face measurement should be around 74”. If it’s 66” to o/s tire the axle is setup for dual wheels. If your going to single wheels the axle will be too short. Ask the seller for the o/s tire face to o/s tire face measurement. It should be 74-75” for single wheels.

When I did my swap there was no driveshaft adapter to fit the spicer 44 u-joint (which is what the 14 bolt used) so I had a new driveshaft fabricated to fit. It cost around $300 in 2015.

You will need to carry two spares. The only other caution is record your pinion angle BEFORE removing the foolie axle. You will need this for the new axle.

Unless you’re a skilled fabricator, its best to find a shop that does this type of work. Prices will vary but expect to spend $3-4K for a turnkey setup. Cheaper if you can do most of the work yourself.

I’ll try to answer your questions to the best of my memory. It’s been 8 years since I’ve done that job.

Fred,

I just read your post - super clean and nice swap!!!  I used to work for GM Corporate back in the day.  So, Sossy - I know of a Toyota 1 ton dually axle here in N. Idaho that I looked at and it's a good one.  I think it's around 80k miles and if you have a way to come get it (a Class III hitch and one of those metal platforms would handle it I think) let me know and I'll connect you.