Idaho Doug's Sunrader build

Thank you for the kind words.  Sometimes when it's tough going, the lack of responses and help sting a bit, so that helps.  So, would you consider cutting and bending new windows?  I've suffered through the learning curve and reduced it to a "follow these steps" task now.

I head to Dallas now for a short business trip.  Hope to spend Sunday on the wraparounds - possibly installing both this weekend.  

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I got one window ready to install - the pesky left window.  Now, just need to prep the opening with some thin strips of rubber to thicken the edge to a quarter inch.  Also needed to grind down the sharp curved area on the lower lip of the opening.  It was abnormally thick right on the curve - over a quarter inch.  So the seal simply would not sit there properly.  Did the same on the right side while I had the Dremel out - but a very light touch. 

I got better at trimming and marking the window as I brought it smaller and smaller to the right size with a quarter inch gap all around.  I stopped marking it by hand, and instead made a simple jig with a Sharpie and popsicle stick such that once it's smaller than the opening by a fraction if an inch (at least a popsicle stick), then I could slide the stick along the opening and it would draw the correct matching line on the still-too-large window.  The line follows the slight wavers of these openings, which are crazily hand cut (vs using a template.  That would have been so simple at the Sunrader factory).  

I've decided I am going to glue them in.  I looked at old threads of people who reused the old windows and installed new seals and had leaks, and I don't want to be that guy.  It's risky in that once the stuff is applied, it's gotta fit and I wont know if they're too tight until I'm half done with the install and then it will be a tremendous mess if I have to pull it apart before it fully cures.  But if I'm successfull, these things probably will be water tight to 10 feet underwater, or something.

This week, I'll get the right window also trimmed to size so that next weekend my son can help me.  I'm definitely going to need an extra set of strong hands.

• 3 weeks later...

Wraparound windows making me insane.  The right window was the first one I made.  At the end of the day it turned out to be 1/8" too short when I turned to it to do final trim to size.  So, had to buy an entire 2nd 4X8 sheet of plexi and start over on the right window.  Cut first one and promptly bent it the wrong direction and made a left one instead.  Cut second one and now it's ready to start the trimming process.  Glad I checked my sanity at the door upon beginning this Sunrader project in October!

Ack - really?  Remind me never to try that.  So today, I got a fresh right window to very close to it's final size.  Hoping to finish that process tomorrow and be ready to try installing them on Sunday.  I will need to fully sand the edges so they're smooth and rounded to pry into the seal without catching or cutting it.