Dumb question for the more experienced folk with this axle;

The keyed washer doesn’t fit exactly in the key notch!??IMG_6148.jpeg.09c7b4888ad8bc0f37d212a6e5be0b44.jpegIMG_6150.jpeg.6762f61b3a87cca3723102e589101942.jpeg

Of course it is an exact fit into the locknut…

IMG_6151.jpeg.6a906932556622ac38ae5070ee9c2814.jpeg

Same on both sides.

Also, as to tensioning the bearings,… I assume it will be similar to any other hub I’ve done.

Rotate hub while tightening to seat the bearings in the races, tighten to “X” torque, then back off slightly to be able to set the lock nut.

Do I have this correct or at least close?

as long as when screwed to the locknut the tang is in the groove you're good.    yes they are just tapered wheel bearings , same as any other for torque.   they need a little load on them unlike ball bearings which will die if preloaded

Thanks Extech!

Bearings are packed and the center of the hub is filled up with grease as well, something that was absent when I pulled the hubs off of the old housing.

I used the big glob of grease in the palm and scrape the edge of the bearing through it method to pack the bearings since apparently my buddies roommate felt he needed my bearing packer more than I did….

IMG_6144.jpeg.9a4d9153c73123be9969f86c5801e4a5.jpeg

IMG_6145.jpeg.01926dc23d13ebd4b0072171da4ad2c5.jpeg

Didn’t get a pic of the seals installed. (Brain fart)

Bearings locked in

IMG_6160.jpeg.b78194f06dd0fe481ec64c4a422408de.jpeg

Axle ready to put power back to the wheels… at least the left one….

IMG_6161.jpeg.aa7253ce49182f8533829ef4f87dc40c.jpeg

I have the right hub/drum assembly on, just need to preload the bearings and install the axle, but the snow is flying, sun is setting, and the temperature is plummeting….  This is where I leave it for tonight!

To do list;

right bearing load/axle install

axle fluid

brake bleed

fix the hopefully last visit from Murphy,….

Bolt snapped off for the sway bar mount.

IMG_6147.jpeg.fada4409d87af544d3d103d39cc66f84.jpeg

Nice work!  I have the correct 3 pin tool for that locknut, but clearly you figured out a workaround. How'd you do it?  Also where are you with the cold temps described? I'm in N Idaho and often out working in mine now and for the next few months against a spring finish date.

2 hours ago, IdahoDoug said:

Nice work!  I have the correct 3 pin tool for that locknut, but clearly you figured out a workaround. How'd you do it?  Also where are you with the cold temps described? I'm in N Idaho and often out working in mine now and for the next few months against a spring finish date.

Lol!  I Mickey Moused a spanner using the grips of a pair of pliers!

I found a socket for the Land Cruiser spindle,… but it’s listed as 75mm where this seems to be a 70mm?  

Where did you find your socket?

As to the weather, I’m in Denver Colorado….  We’ve been spoiled by the weather so far this season, this is our first hard freeze and first snowfall, expecting about 4” of the fluffy stuff.

1 hour ago, extech said:

my kind of job. great imagination

Far from perfect fabrication….  Hell, I’m not even proud of it and plan on touching it up some more for a better fit.

Functional though, so not a complete waste of a $23 socket!

Unless of course someone has the link to the proper socket?

Edited by Toycollector47

Still have to fix the broken sway bar bolt,….

But!…..

IMG_6208.jpeg.79fbba34ddb22dce8b31b7b294f1c85b.jpeg

We are back on the road!

Edit;

If I had to redo the socket, (which I might) 

I’d grind off 3 of the tabs to make the notches.

Reason being that  the 3 holes opposite of the posts are larger diameter, and I believe I wouldn’t have had to grind the teeth down at all.

Still worked great for preloading the bearings on the right side!

Edited by Toycollector47

The correct tool is out there for dirt cheap.  https://www.ebay.com/itm/174403066935  I love your DIY solution though!  Lol I was digging through bins today looking for other parts and found mine in a box with two extra brand new axle gaskets.  I will probably scan one to get slightly better fitting file to cut out.  My Lucky Charms cereal box gasket I made on the Cricut is still holding up perfectly!    

EDIT:  I saw the 75mm vs 70mm...  I don't remember if I ever pulled it out and actually tried it on the Mini Cruiser.  I think I had verified the gaskets were the same but I am also pretty sure the tool came well after I had put it all back together.  I could send the tool off with Viktor to check when he comes by later today if somebody really wants to know lol.  

Edited by thewanderlustking

If he’s going to be getting into the axle then yes absolutely would love to know that one fits exactly!

just like I carry most tools and parts in my 4x4 to get back out of the trail.  I intend to carry enough tools to make it home on future trips in the RV

Not sure this is relevant now, but the LandCruiser front full floater bearing nuts will work with a NAPA 2 3/32 socket.  Fits very tight and that's what I've been using for a collective 562,000 miles we've put on our two 80 Series girls over the decades.  For the rear full floater, I have the tool noted above though mine might be a factory tool as it's chrome plated.   I like the cut socket and the wood solution!!  My 1-ton full floater is out behind the SunRader so they can get to know one another before the spring mating season.  Super happy - paid $500 for a 45k axle with the dually wheels!  I'd been resigned to pay $1200 for months.  I know of one here in N. Idaho for $650 sans wheels if anyone needs a 1 ton axle.  Happy to connect you, and he's a nice guy to boot.

22 minutes ago, IdahoDoug said:

Not sure this is relevant now, but the LandCruiser front full floater bearing nuts will work with a NAPA 2 3/32 socket.  Fits very tight and that's what I've been using for a collective 562,000 miles we've put on our two 80 Series girls over the decades.  For the rear full floater, I have the tool noted above though mine might be a factory tool as it's chrome plated.   I like the cut socket and the wood solution!!  My 1-ton full floater is out behind the SunRader so they can get to know one another before the spring mating season.  Super happy - paid $500 for a 45k axle with the dually wheels!  I'd been resigned to pay $1200 for months.  I know of one here in N. Idaho for $650 sans wheels if anyone needs a 1 ton axle.  Happy to connect you, and he's a nice guy to boot.

nice score on the price!!!   These axles are getting rare here in Colorado, just for the housing and the hub I paid $500!!!

Don't need no stikin socket🤡

Pure shade tree, 2 short bolts in the lock ring and a prybar

Once you've got it baselined with fluids, lubes, replaced hardened rubber things like belts/hoses/valves, rear main, valve guides, I'd expect miles of smiles and the cheap, reliable motoring this generation of Toyota is known for!  Of course, it's 33 years old, so there may be tertiary things to repair due to aged wiring, but it will always get you home.