Am holding the hoses which come from the passenger side of engine, a previous owner put two Phillips screws in the hose ends near the battery which is removed, not sure where they are supposed to go to. Do get a check engine light lean code. O2 sensor replacement didn't fix it. I'm guessing the egr system? Engine runs fineĀ 

Any ideas?

A EGR failure would give you a rough idle it's basic purpose is to cool the mix and take up space to reduce N0X emission but it should not give a lean code. It is possible one of the vac hoses is disconnected allowing air in where it's not supposed to be that can lead to a rough idle and possible lean engine code. In the diagnostic box there should be an O2 sensor connection you can connect a voltmeter to that and that would give you an ideal of what the mix is actually doing, high voltage ( pushing 1 volt) is rich low voltage the mix is lean. The O2 sensor should be very active at idle and swing from rich to lean. (0 to 1 volt).

Thanks for the responses.Ā  Per the diagram it looks like I am missing part 17630- air control valve assembly. Can't find it on Rock Auto and may be d/c from the dealer.

Is anyone else missing this part on their V6.?Ā  It looks like the 2 hoses connect to 17630 but not sure where the other end goes, maybe screws into the manifold?

Seem to run ok without this part but I would just as soon have it on there.

Screenshot_20190115-101002.png

Is the original air control valve still on your engine?? and somebody just removed and plugged the hoses?? It looks like the valve is temp operated so it should be screwed into the engine cooling system somewhere.

13 minutes ago, linda s said:

This is a power steering air control valve. Don't know how that would affect the engine quite so much but your power steering shouldn't be working properly

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=5408508&cc=1277872&jsn=481

Linda S

Ā IfĀ A SeabeeĀ diagram is correctlyĀ Ā depicting the location then isn't that where the PWR steering pump is located? Here is another diagram but it does not show theĀ 17630. Question is does it actually cause a change in the pump or does it change the engine because of the extra load the pump puts on the engine in parking situations and low idle? I had a lean code also, needed a valve adjustment and the code never came back.

3vze vacume lines.gif

Power steering works fine, although it has ps fluid in the reservoir instead of auto. Trans. Fluid. Will check to see if the valve is missing or plugged up. Picture from g. Images below, though not my engine.

Can't figure out why the hoses going to this valve would be plugged with Phillips screws? Maybe because of the cost to replace the valve.

Thanks for the help.Screenshot_20190115-110642.png.6db0477a1276cff29abdb8e277fbab4d.png

that valve allows a metered vacuum leak to occur when the power steering is turned all the way to the "lock" (all the way left or right.) the increased load on the engine when this happens might stall the motor if this valve did not up the RPMs. Those valves get broken all the time and cost about 60 bucks. running them broken causes a constant vac leak and constant high idle.

Screenshot_20190115-173827.png.91adc074e35b7f812ffe723b080b91b7.pngIMG_20190115_133401962.jpg.92092cc16939141e45e3e23b1d645357.jpg1st pic is what it should look like, pic 2 is mine with the hose ends plugged.

I can't find the valve on the ps pump, although it may be hidden underneath or just missing. The plugged hoses are larger than the other vacuum hoses though so I'm not sure they are supposed to go to the ps air control valve.

So where from do they originate? Take some pictures of those locations. Here is a diagram for a 4runner, note the two vacuum lines going to the pump. Perhaps your pump does not need that valve. 4runners are different in some components. I know that the AC pumps are bigger so is the steering pump the same? Anyhow it looks like you have to stand on your head to see where the valve would be.

2010-02-14_165130_pump1[1].gif

they originate at the PS air valve. one goes to the intake, one goes to a filtered air source. usually the air filter housing or intake boot, after the filter. It may be on the line that attaches to the pump. you are

1 hour ago, odysseybernard said:

Screenshot_20190115-173827.png.91adc074e35b7f812ffe723b080b91b7.pngIMG_20190115_133401962.jpg.92092cc16939141e45e3e23b1d645357.jpg1st pic is what it should look like, pic 2 is mine with the hose ends plugged.

I can't find the valve on the ps pump, although it may be hidden underneath or just missing. The plugged hoses are larger than the other vacuum hoses though so I'm not sure they are supposed to go to the ps air control valve.

the valve is very hard to see, and yes, the hoses are larger than a regular vacuum line. one hose goes to the intake manifold/runners, I believe the other is connected to the airbox or the intake boot.

Thanks for all the replies.Ā  You're right, these hoses go to the power steering air valve, which I can't see under the pump to see if the niiples are broken or capped or if there is a brass plug in the port.Ā  From yotatech, these valves can also leak fluid into the plenum, resulting in smoke upon starting and increasing oil level. As Greg said, the nipples probably got broken or fluid was leaking, and thus the capped off lines, as the valve idle change steering feedback loop is not all that important.Ā  Is pump life decreased with the clear ps fluid as opposed to the dexton fluid? Think I will flush it out, as I don't think they mix well.

this is a closed loop engine. That valve allows more air into the intake and the computer raises the rpm slightly. Not a big deal usually, If those screws leak then it will usually cause an intermittent vacuum, leak which will make you run rough.Ā Ā 

Ā 

If you are going to replace the valve on the PS body, you can get plastic caps that can go over the nipples at the other end of those vacuum hoses.Ā  somthing like this - available at most auto parts...Ā https://www.amazon.com/Spectre-Performance-4254-Vacuum-Assortment/dp/B000BPWSCC/ref=asc_df_B000BPWSCC/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312455765168&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=15404394469052712615&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9011824&hvtargid=pla-568002735046&psc=1

Just a friendly tip on the vacuum caps... I did something similar to block off a line or two on my 91 V6 intake.Ā The caps I used were from Dorman, and they all literally went to pieces inside of a year. Worst quality rubber (vinyl?)Ā I've ever seen. HopefullyĀ yours last longer but might want to keep an eye on 'em.