93 Wini Spirit Adding a hitch

Hello All I need to add a Hitch to my 93 winnebago itasca spirit 21ft. I have read on here about the weakness of the frame extension. Has anybody done this beefed up the frame extension and added a hitch. I want to but a Gen and extra fuel on the back. Pictures would be most helpful. and a description of what you did.

Thanks

I was thinking about modifying the storage where If you had a gen it would be in there but I have a 3k gen and it wont fit without major mods. 

Check out the rear motorcycle hitch build thread stickied at the top of the DIY section of the forum.  You would want something similar to this depending on the total weight.  

TAKE YOUR RIG TO A WELD / FAB SHOP. MODS CAN BE DONE. I HAVE A 2 INCH RECEIVER HITCH ON MY 92 WINNIE. WAS PUT ON PROFESSIONALLY BY P.O. I HAVE A POST ON HERE SOMEWHERE WITH PICS. HOPE THIS HELPS. JOE FROM DOVER

Thanks hunkaman I took me a bit to find it, looks great. and helps some. I have an appointment this Tuesday to have it looked at again. there was some concern as to whether the shop wanted to take on the liability of reinforcement and a hitch. I will be meeting with the owner of the shop This Tuesday to get a better assessment. they were thinking around *700 to $800 to add it if they were willing to take on the liability.

Ugg. 

I know I have seen many out there with hitches on them to carry low wight. the problem is none seem to have a picture of how the underside looks just the completed job from the outside. The one I did see was a full tube frame on an older 80s Toyota. Mine has a C-Channel extension from the main chassis,

I'm only talking about 98.5 lb generator and 5 gallons of fuel 31.5 lb and the rack I was going to go with aluminum 29 LB total weight would be 159LB 

To be conservative fuel in the generator straps and the ball hitch 185lb max 200LB

A 200lb generator will have a 1000lb of force when you go over a bump. Can you put the generator in the Winnie generator box, at least for transport?

I put an aluminium box with the hitch for my trailer. I insert the rectangular 1/8 in the frame until the rear axle. Sorry for the picture an error message come when i try to put them

Thanks hunkaman I took me a bit to find it, looks great. and helps some. I have an appointment this Tuesday to have it looked at again. there was some concern as to whether the shop wanted to take on the liability of reinforcement and a hitch. I will be meeting with the owner of the shop This Tuesday to get a better assessment. they were thinking around *700 to $800 to add it if they were willing to take on the liability.

Ugg. 

I know I have seen many out there with hitches on them to carry low wight. the problem is none seem to have a picture of how the underside looks just the completed job from the outside. The one I did see was a full tube frame on an older 80s Toyota. Mine has a C-Channel extension from the main chassis,

I'm only talking about 98.5 lb generator and 5 gallons of fuel 31.5 lb and the rack I was going to go with aluminum 29 LB total weight would be 159LB 

To be conservative fuel in the generator straps and the ball hitch 185lb max 200LB

WME thanks I took the measurements without modifying the box it will not fit. available space without modifying is. 
H14 1/2 inch X W18 inch X D 18 1/2 inch. 

This was one of the area's I was going to put it, but I would have to lower the box bottom and relocated the Power cord. If I modified the box it would be H 22 inch X L 23 inch X D 18 1/2. I would also have to load the and lift the gen from the bottom up. the generator dimensions H 20 inch X W 17.3 inch X L 22.75

And the gen would sit in sideways and i would not be able to plug anything in to it as i would not be able to get to the front panel. or even start it. the Generator dimensions are  If there is a Inverter Gen out there that is at least 3000 running watts not surge with electric start I would replace the inverter gen I have with that one. My goal was to keep the noise down and having it in the compartment would create more noise inside not by much. 

Basically, the tongue weight value is a static weight value that is designed to be light enough to accommodate the dynamic effects.

So were only talking about max 200 lbs here. They made 93 Winnies with  rear dinette and seat belts for passengers. Two adults easily weigh more than 200 lbs and they would have been sitting over the frame extensions. I don't really think they would have designed it to collapse from the weight of passengers. Just go for it. The hitch option. I use my hitch with a carrier plenty. I do have a shorty but tons of people with full sized Toyota motorhomes have hitches and do fine

Linda S

I had mine custom added for $700 by a local shop. It is tongue rated at 350#. Total towing 3500# although I won't be pulling my jet ski anymore as I sold it. The basket I carry is rated for 500# but I have only put several items in totaling about 350#. Works great. Hope the pics help. I can take more if needed and wipe down the channel material if needed? Fresh from driving in the rain in PNW. 

Frame under 1.jpg

frame_under_2.jpg

frame under 3.jpg

bumper_back.jpg

bumper_close.jpg

reciever.jpg

Thanks SSBreeze

That looks very well done.  It also looks like  you have a square frame extension and not a C channel like mine. The Shop did agree to install a hitch and reinforce the rear frame for $700 to $800. I have an appointment next friday 9/14/18. Here are pics of what mine looks like now. I will post what it looks like after.

20180906_162813.jpg

20180906_162804 (1).jpg

20180906_162750.jpg

20180830_121504.jpg

20180830_121514.jpg

20180830_121517.jpg

20180830_121622.jpg

20180830_121912.jpg

20180830_121916.jpg

20180830_122541.jpg

• 5 months later...

@cptmiker How did it work out? How's your towing going? We're in the middle of this great debate ourselves and trying to gather as much info as possible! Thanks in advance.