Oven Thermocoupler

Totem

Recently at a Toy rally I ran my dead oven issue by some Tiggers (toyota riggers).. One gent suggested I open up the top cover stove top burner housing and check the thermo coupler...

Oh yes, I should mention that the problem is this: pilot light works, but Oven will Never ever come on.

Anyhow we pried it open and much to my dismay I saw that the thermo-coupler had this small copper tube that ran down to the oven and formed a bulb that sat just above the pilot light. I was dismayed because it was corroded so bad it had cracked open. So heres my question... where the heck do I get one of these? Im assuming I need the entire thermo and it seems to be part of one of the burner controllers for the stove top...ranting2.gif

Derek has the right start with the corroct info do you have local rv service shops your area or somone can help you get it on line.

A very common failure item on ovens and water heaters. Propane dealers usually have a stock of various thermocouples on hand.

A couple years ago, Sharon and I pulled into a little propane place in Worland, Wyoming. Inside the shack was a geezer in bib overalls sitting on a folding chair. " Whatdaya need"

"Our waterheater's not working can you fix it?"

Without looking at the waterheater the old guy goes: "You bet." and turns to a big wooden box full of thermocouples. He pulled two or three candidates out of the box and shuffled over to our camper. Five minutes later he had the waterheater running. Charged us $5.

Hey Worland is just a short drive away, go there a lot (well through it).

Most building supply stores sell thermocouplers, just pick one close to the size (length) that yours is, quite easy to install, we don't have an oven in our motor home, but the thermocoupler cant be much different than the ones used in home appliances water and space heaters.

Mike

• 1 month later...

Nice day out today so i went oven diving.

Immediately began finding out model; a Travler Elixer I believe; there was rust on the make plate and thats what I could make out. I definitely think the make is Travler.

The pilot light lights but it seems to have its own thermocouple independent of the main oven burner emitter. I blew compressed air from my pig tank; no dice.

Next opened the service hatch that was designed for little people. no surprise the second thermo body was behind the oven and only visible with my handy led enabled dental mirror. So here is what i think is wrong ; this thing packed in fiberglass in the rear service hatch. yay couldnt have been a worse thing to go wrong; i think the alchol evaporated out of the copper stat bulb that hangs in the pilot assembly; this in turn means the open valve will never open blast those safety features!

Now I am VERY interested in repair and what that entails. I'm not sure how the heck this thing can be replaced without tearing the kitchen cabinetry apart as the oven is entombed in it.

Anyone ever done this? I dont have a yahoo account

BAM! Oven Restored

I am extremely proud of my non part or technical solution...

My professional Sherlock Holmes opinion on this problem is that... the Oven has well, NEVER ever worked. And I mean ever. Its the cleanest shinest looking thing in the entire rig; not one grease or even speck of dirt. And we all know a real oven would be coated. Not even in any crevice is the slightest hint of old grease or food.

The rack is chrome and shines like a new pair of wheel simulators...

So.... my mind began to wonder; is the thermocouple getting hot enough? It didnt even seem to be in the pilot flame at all.

I had blown out the entire pilot assembly so i decided to put a steno candle under the damn thing. I watched it heat up till it had a dull glow then BOOOM ! the oven roared to life!.

i quickly played with the settings and all worked perfectly.

I shut down everything and studied the pilot and thermo device; it seemed to have been bent in installation.

quickly i grabbed a pair of needle nose and bent that sucker back so that the tip of the bulb were as it was directly above the pilots flame.

next turned the broil back on...

nothing nothing BOOM

works every time now.

SOOOO let this be a lesson, when in doubt heat that sucker up.

It nuts I don't think the ovens were ever used in them mine had never been used and the only thing I ever used it for was toast one morning before I took it out and installed a cook top and used the old oven space for a storage area. well I guess the last thing you want to do on vacation is bake a cake or roast a turkey.

to each their own but we love our oven. our son just bought a brand new Jayco pull behind no oven. their old unit sameway they carry a foldup colman oven . and use outside on a camp stove . Pizza, biscuts , chicken in the oven ya ya

5Toyota

to each their own but we love our oven. our son just bought a brand new Jayco pull behind no oven. their old unit sameway they carry a foldup colman oven . and use outside on a camp stove . Pizza, biscuts , chicken in the oven ya ya

We don't have an oven, but do have a microwave, so we take a toaster at least it's light. Never tried a pop tart before, high in sugar but sure tast great...

vanman

I use my oven in my Toyhome. If its a little chilly in the morning, I bake muffins. My son catches trout and we broil em in the oven. Yummy! :P