Well, the latest BOHICA on my mechanical - Sunrader- to-do list is the resolution of a pesky brake problem whereby, according to my trusted brake guy, due to failure of the “adjuster levers” (arrow in picture, one broken, one bent and about to go) on my Duo-Servo rear brakes, the rear shoes won’t hold an adjustment. This is apparently not, according to him, an unusual failure on this brake-set, but rebuild parts have proved to be unobtainable so far. There is however, a possibility that they can be modified and converted to manual-adjust, if no rebuild kit or used parts can be located.  I would prefer to be able to auto-adjust at my convenience, if possible. Does anyone know of a resource for a rebuild kit? (circled below w / offending component)  Any experience with this? Thoughts?  Thanks,

TG

Duo-Servo Auto adjust.jpg

post-794-1219111339.jpg

You have a full float upgrade right? Regular full float. I know I was confused when I saw it disassembled.

Linda S

For full float conversion all brake parts are available. Scroll down to see automatic adjustment lever

https://www.toyotapartsdeal.com/parts-list/1990-toyota-pickup-2-wheel-drive/rear-drum-brake-wheel-cylinder-backing-plate.html?Filter=(d=USA;1=3VZE;4=STD;7=RCB;8=WT;9=HLF;11=EFI;13=IV6;14=T1

Thanks for your usual speedy reply Linda,  So there's actually two types of brakes. Not sure what everyone else has, but mine (Duo-Servo type) are shown in my previous post and were commonly installed on some 4x4's and 2x4's.(There's a lumber joke somewhere there)  The type you referenced parts for, is the other Leading-Trailing type. (Attached diagram)  Apparently, Leading-Trailing type suffer less failure of the automagic adjusters system. Just looking at the diagram I can see why. Mine being the Duo-Servo type is not-so-slick of a design, I fear. Those self-adjusters are apparently more prone to failure in the long term and harder to locate,.... thus far. On a better note the brakes straightened right out and behaved well with an adjustment, they just don't currently stay that way, so at least now I know that's what it is. Thanks,

TG

Leading Trailing Type.jpg

Duo-Servo.jpg

Edited by ToyoGuy
sp

Here is the deal on "self adjusting" brakes. Many years ago they became common place because the public never had them adjusted and the results were complete brake failure due to the piston in the wheel cylinders coming out of the bores dumping all the brake fluid. I'm an old guy and have seen this so that's what it's all about the adjusters are not perfect but they keep that from happening so an occasional adjustment will keep your brake pedal right up to snuff even with self adjusters. Mind you in some thing like a Toy Home most the the brake action is on the rear brakes because of the weight shift unlike a car you have probably noticed that the MH does not nose dive like a car on a hard stop. I think you'll find a lot of older Ford pickup rear brake hardware will fit you MH.

Edited by Maineah

Thanks Linda  Will try to get part numbers tomorrow. Emailed you the vin,...but the FF kind or type is as yet unknown. Maineah, I appreciate the heads-up on limited value of the auto-adjust (and possible Ford parts-stuff). I used to get disgusted about these problems, now I'm just amused, does that mean I'm an old guy too?

BR, TG

Edited by ToyoGuy
grammer

Uh people, none of the pics are of a dually FF rear end.

11 hours ago, ToyoGuy said:

Thanks Linda  Will try to get part numbers tomorrow. Emailed you the vin,...but the FF kind or type is as yet unknown. Maineah, I appreciate the heads-up on limited value of the auto-adjust (and possible Ford parts-stuff). I used to get disgusted about these problems, now I'm just amused, does that mean I'm an old guy too?

BR, TG

If you can't laugh about it your not having fun. I used to have lumps on my head then I decided there was no future in beating my head against the wall.