Removing Toyota motorhome graphics / decals

RedEmerald

Hey all. Getting ready to walk out the door and take the camper to go fishing, but before I go I have a question that I wanted to throw out there.

Almost all the decals / stripes / graphics on my Toyota are damaged in one way or another. I would like to replace them. My question: Is there a real proven way to do it without damaging the truck or camper?

hey there, i used a product called a "decal eraser" i bought it at a local automotive paint and body supply store. it cost about $12.00.  it is a rubber type material. you put it in a drill and just apply pressure to the decal/graphic and as it spins it removes the decal/graphic with out harming the underlying finish. i used this last summer on my winnie to remove some degraded graphics. as you use it. the rubber material also wears away. i needed to buy two of them to complete my project. also it has the recommended rpm printed on the eraser and it states in the instruction paper do not exceed the rpm. i was really pleased that it worked so well. joe from dover

Commercial heat gun or hair dryer with"PLASTIC" putty knife.

Heat the decal until soft, and gently scrape with the putty knife. Any leftover adhesive can be removed with brake parts cleaner and a soft cloth.

Keep in mind the outline of the decal will remain visible on the surface as the underlying paint has never been exposed to sun and age fading.

7 hours ago, fred heath said:

Commercial heat gun or hair dryer with"PLASTIC" putty knife.

Heat the decal until soft, and gently scrape with the putty knife. Any leftover adhesive can be removed with brake parts cleaner and a soft cloth.

Keep in mind the outline of the decal will remain visible on the surface as the underlying paint has never been exposed to sun and age fading.

Thats what I was worried about, the new color underneath the graphics. Hopefully it wont stand out too bad. Will have to wait and see. On the flip side I will have an outline if I go back original, which I probably should do.

Thanks

FRED HEATH IS 100% ABOUT THE DISCOLORATION AFTER THE REMOVAL OF THE GRAPHICS. FOR REASONS STILL UNKNOWN, ONLY ONE OF THE THREE COLOR GRAPHICS ON MY RIG DEGRADED AND WAS "CRACKED". THE LINES FORMING THE "CRACKS", TELEGRAPHED TO THE PAINT. ALTHOUGH THE PAINT WAS NOT DAMAGED AFTER THE REMOVAL OF THE DEGRADED GRAPHICS, WITH THE DISCOLORATION AND BEING ABLE TO SEE THE FINE LINE IMPRINTS OF THE "CRACKS", I CHOOSE TO REPLACE THE GRAPHICS. I MADE TEMPLATES AND HAD THEM REPRODUCED BY A GRAPHIC SHOP.  I TRIED TO FIND REPLACEMENT DECALS/GRAPHICS FOR MY RIG ONLINE AND HAD NO LUCK. OTHERS HAVE HAD SOME SUCCESS PURCHASING REPLACEMENTS. GOOD LUCK. JOE FROM DOVER.

On 2/20/2017 at 4:49 PM, linda s said:

Here's a beautiful restriping done by one of our members. Looks awesome and he didn't spend a lot

Linda S

That is very nice. To be honest I kinda like the ghost look of the paint where the decals were removed.

I used a 3M rubber eraser wheel on a corded drill to take the decals off the truck cab body (only)  before repainting. Like hunkaman says they do wear down, and so will your arm...You do have to use some muscle and a battery powered drill will require many battery changes because it is not super fast. I would hate to do the entire MH body with one of these erasers...

After you "erase" THE GRAPHICS just get a roll of 1/2" wide striping tape and follow the out line of the old graphic. Add filler stripes if you must