My 1984 Sunrader shorty came without any spare tire or jacks as I've seen on other Sunraders below the rear end. Does anyone know where I could find a couple of jacks and how to mount them? As always, your input is appreciated!

The problem you are going to encounter is that you have two different style rims on your RV.  This means two spares front and back if you want total coverage.  Some convert the front but that means buying 3 rims along with everything else you'll need.  My spare tire carrier is underneath in the back.  It is the typical chain wind up spare carrier style that lots of trucks have.  Lots of old discussions on spare tires that will have ideas.

I decided to keep the 5 lug under mine and go without a 6 lug spare, instead opting to rely on a patch kit and compressor if any of them are punctured (won't help if there's more than a small hole).

Speaking of, if you're in the market for a 6 lug rim and willing to drive out to Sac for it, I've got one I need to do something with. (I've also got a brand new toilet and rear sway bar.)

Forgot to mention, I went with a 12 ton low profile bottle jack from Harbor Freight that I saw someone recommend on these forums.  I have to crawl way under the vehicle to get it on the rear axle, but it probably wouldn't be as bad on a 18'. Mine came with a jack, but it was small and rusted.

6 hours ago, Kale said:

Forgot to mention, I went with a 12 ton low profile bottle jack from Harbor Freight that I saw someone recommend on these forums.  I have to crawl way under the vehicle to get it on the rear axle, but it probably wouldn't be as bad on a 18'. Mine came with a jack, but it was small and rusted.

I have a 12 ton low profile, it lifts the Toy with ease.  However it barely fits under where the spring attaches to the axle and has a very short travel. On my 93 6 lug with fully inflated tires the jack will give me about 1/8" of clearance fully extended!

I have a 6 ton hydraulic jack that I carry.  It lifts the RV without a problem.  I plan on using my leveling blocks under the non-flat tire to give me enough clearance to get the bottle jack under the axle.  So far, I have not had any tire problems (keeping my fingers crossed that it continues.)

I tried the original Toyota jack made for a pickup truck.  It was a screw jack in brand new condition.  It took too much effort so I got the 6 ton out of the garage and now carry that.

Edited by Bob C

I have my original bottle jack. The dual pistons give more travel between the lowest and the highest setting and I find you need that much lift. They can be found on EBay. Sometimes expensive but if you take the time to wait sometimes pretty cheap. Also helps to have the extension rod for it. I lost mine somewhere and bought an extension rod from eBay for a Land Cruiser. Perfect fit.

Linda S

On 7/19/2016 at 5:02 PM, Derek up North said:

You've checked underneath (aft of the rear axle) for a spare?

I've checked and my rig has neither jacks nor a spare tire. Would y'all recommend this for a bottle jack? https://smile.amazon.com/Torin-T90603-Hydraulic-Jack-Ton/dp/B000CO86EG/ref=sr_1_4 

61RCZykpPrL._SL200_.jpg

On 7/19/2016 at 6:01 PM, Kale said:

if you're in the market for a 6 lug rim and willing to drive out to Sac for it, I've got one I need to do something with.

Indeed, I maybe in the market if I can find 2 more wheels and a pair of adapters to swap out my front wheels. Anybody else got some 6-lug wheels they want to get rid of? What size wheels and adapters would I need?

If you buy this jack it is 11 inches tall. Look under your Toy and see what you will use as jacking points.

This low profile or stubby jack is 6 3/4" tall. Just barely fits under my rear axle! 

http://www.harborfreight.com/12-ton-hydraulic-low-profile-heavy-duty-bottle-jack-69481.html

I am using the harbor freight jack as an example, there are many others available.  HTH  Jim

As Jim mentioned, 11 inches is likely too tall.

9 hours ago, sweetleon said:

Indeed, I maybe in the market if I can find 2 more wheels and a pair of adapters to swap out my front wheels. Anybody else got some 6-lug wheels they want to get rid of? What size wheels and adapters would I need?

FYI, I'm leaving town permanently the end of this coming week. The wheel is free if you come and get it in the next few days, saves me the trouble of figuring out what to do with it.

23 hours ago, Kale said:

FYI, I'm leaving town permanently the end of this coming week. The wheel is free if you come and get it in the next few days, saves me the trouble of figuring out what to do with it.

Drat! Between work and parenting, I won't be able to get to Sacramento for at least a couple of weeks. 

Are you moving or going on the road full-time? Either way, bon voyage!

On July 23, 2016 at 7:48 AM, linda s said:

Harbor Freight says the stubby jack is 7 1/4 to 16 1/4 from closed to fully open. That is exactly the same as my Toyota jack so probably a good choice

Linda S

How about this stubby jack? It's 7.5" to 11"  

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B002RZC8WE/ref=mp_s_a_1_6

21 minutes ago, sweetleon said:

Drat! Between work and parenting, I won't be able to get to Sacramento for at least a couple of weeks. 

Are you moving or going on the road full-time? Either way, bon voyage!

Thanks! It's kind of a full-timing trial run, no concrete plans yet.

10 minutes ago, sweetleon said:

How about this stubby jack? It's 7.5" to 11"  

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B002RZC8WE/ref=mp_s_a_1_6

I'd try to get as close to the range Linda posted as possible, 11" max might be a bit low for some spots.

Here is the Harbor freight specs. This jack barely goes under my rear springs and just lifts the Toy high enough to get a tire off. Anything taller will not fit under my rear springs. Carring a board or 4 for leveling, it is easy enough to run up on a board so the jack clears easy and turn the screw part up to lift the vehicle. Then take the board out from under the tire to remove.

I have had this jack for years and am not going to replace it. The handle has disappeared, so I modified a 2 foot piece of 1/2" pipe to use as a handle and to be able to tighten and loosen the hydraulic screw on the jack. The 2 foot can also aide in pushing the jack around on smooth surface.

I have Emergency road service and prefer to have someone else change my tire if need be.                                              Jim

toyj.PNG

the four ton make good leveling jacks.  that is what I use for leveling.

On 7/25/2016 at 3:49 PM, jjrbus said:

Carring a board or 4 for leveling, it is easy enough to run up on a board so the jack clears easy and turn the screw part up to lift the vehicle. Then take the board out from under the tire to remove.

Brilliant! I would have never thought of that. On the duallys if you have a flat, run the good tire up on the leveling blocks and jack from there. If it's the outer tire you might not even have to jack. Brilliant! 

1 hour ago, whyverne14 said:

Brilliant! I would have never thought of that. On the duallys if you have a flat, run the good tire up on the leveling blocks and jack from there. If it's the outer tire you might not even have to jack. Brilliant! 

I think we have come to a consensus that removing the outer tire with the inner tire up on a board and not jacked is not a good idea.  My memory does not serve me well, I was thinking of big truck dually's and they have an inner and outer lug nut to hold the inner tire in place. 

Jim

2 hours ago, jjrbus said:

I think we have come to a consensus that removing the outer tire with the inner tire up on a board and not jacked is not a good idea.  My memory does not serve me well, I was thinking of big truck dually's and they have an inner and outer lug nut to hold the inner tire in place. 

Still brilliant. You don't have to jack as much. Not that I"ll ever find out, cause I'm never going to have a flat.

7 minutes ago, whyverne14 said:

Still brilliant. You don't have to jack as much. Not that I"ll ever find out, cause I'm never going to have a flat.

If you think about it you still have to jack as much. What it does do is make it easier to get the low profile jack under the axle.  Then when raised pull the board out and is easier to move tire around.

It is a brilliant idea,  alas I stole it from someone else.                                                   Jim

After an explosive blow out from metal in the road, pulled into the dirt, I still managed to jack my camper up enough to get the tire off with my Toyota jack. If the axle is too low under the spring works fine. You guys worry too much. Yes even with good tires you can get a flat.

Linda S