Hey guys - Hope all are doing well.

I would like to replace the shocks on the front and the back of my 1986 Toyota 21' Dolphin. The owners manual says "GABRIEL" but does not note the part numbers. The front shocks are different from the back. The MH seems to be sitting a little lower in the back. The leaf springs are not bowed much but there is still plenty of room between frame and axle. I might need a leaf assist? Airbags are working and holding air properly.

Does anyone know what the part numbers are for these?

I found a "MONROE" #32383 that says its for a 84-93 chasis for motorhome class C. Does anyone know if this is right? and if so, what is the Monroe # for the rear.

Thanks as usual for the input!

Kevin

post-1069-1201826662_thumb.jpg

On the Monroe web http://www.monroe.com/ site I find the following from the catalog http://catalog.tenneco.com/monroe/eCatalog.do

Recreational Vehicles/Toyota Truck/Motorhome Chassis (Mini) for Class C/1986/All

Monroe Gas Magnum front 34953 Monroe Gas Magnumn rear 34803

They show the same nubers fitting 1985-1995.

You might also take a look at the Bilstein shocks. I have not put them on the Sunrader yet. I do have them on my '96 Ford 4x4 dually that I used to pull a 13,000# 5th wheel with. They are a stiff shock and make a noticeable difference in stability. I ordered mine from http://www.eshocks.com and was happy with the service and price. Bilstein lists these numbers for 1984-1995. AutoZone can special order these if you prefer to deal local.

Bilstein HD front: B46-1772-H0 Bilstein HD Rear: B46-0258-H0

http://www.eshocks.com/bil_veh.asp?Model_I...l&SubChar=Q

Bilstein RV application guide http://www.bilstein.com/Motorhomes0806.pdf

The Gabriel website, http://www.gabriel.com is not pulling up for me. I would recommend against Gabriel products as I've found the damping to be very soft (weak) and my last Gabriel strut only made 6000 miles before leaking heavily.

Hope this helps you.

On the leaf springs I suspect worn springs that are sagging after years of heavy or over loading. A local spring shop can rearch them. I prefer new springs when available. If Toyota or National RV can't supply the a spring shop can build a new pair. Leaf Assist or Add-A-Leaf is somewhat of a band aid fix if the orginal springs have sagged.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the info!

I had trouble finding shocks at my local stores by just telling them I had an 86 toy motorhome, so, I took the shock off the rear and the shock/strut off the front and took them to Advance and AutoZone. THESE WERE THE ORIGINAL PARTS AND THEY WERE NOT FOR A MOTORHOME - THEY WERE FROM THE ORIGINAL TOYOTA PICK-UP TRUCK!

Here is what I replaced the FRONT with. From Auto Zone - Front Shock/Strut - Gabriel ProGuard #61509 @ $21.99 each. Fit perfectly - Used same mounting bolts and holes.

Here is what I replaced the REAR with. From Advance - Rear Shock - Monroe Gas-Matic series #59541 @ $22.44 each. Fit perfectly - used same mounting bolts and holes.

Installed a set of Leaf assists (in pic).

New shocks and the additional leaf spring assists added 6" heigth to the Dolphin. This really gets the RV close to level and WOW - it drives and is steady like a new rig!!!!

Hope this is useful info!

Kevin

'86 Dolphin

post-1069-1202610788_thumb.jpg

post-1069-1202610836_thumb.jpg

post-1069-1202610878_thumb.jpg

post-1069-1202611245_thumb.jpg

Nice job, I am thinking of doing the same thing. I wonder if these shocks you bought will fit on my '87 Sunrader as well. I have the bags on the rear of mine, but the shocks look original. Mine is real bouncy, I want to try to smooth it out a little bit if possible. Our dogs shake like a leaf when we get on a rough road.

I noticed some rust in your picture, the first thing I did to mine is have it undercoated with that wax type undercoating at a local dealer.

Hey there Robert - Supurcar,

I also have the airbags - you can see mine in the first pic i posted that you noticed the rust in. I checked mine as well and they are in excellent shape. I have been running them at 70psi but with the new suspension upgrades, I am sure I will come off that a little.

Pic below is before new shocks and Leaf Assists - My toy sits about 5" higher now!

As far as the rust, I purchased this rig in Dallas, but, it came from mid-state illinois from Iowa in the '80's. I am assuming the surface rust is from the winter road salts. Do you have any suggestions for me as to how to spot or where to look for trouble areas? Also, can you be more specific on what you had done to undercoat yours? Is this like the "can" undercoating you would buy at the local autoparts store?

Thanks for the advice :D ,

Kevin

'86 Dolphin - Arkansas

post-1069-1202700996_thumb.jpg

Wow big difference, when I bought mine the back end was sagging like that (first picture). I found out they had run the air lines for the bags over the exhaust and melted the lines. Once I fixed the lines the rear came back up as would be expected. But the fact the shocks would not hold the thing scared me a bit, what if an air line went out on a trip. So that is why I want to upgrade my shocks too.

On the rust proofing I just went to a local dealer, you know the old undercoating thing. I did get information on the products they use, some of them use good stuff and some are snake oil. What I used was similar to what they put on new cars from the factory, kind of a waxy sealant they spray on with a compressor. I do not have a facility to put my Sunrader on a lift, so that is why it made sense for them to do it. I talked them down to about $150.00, I got a deal and they still made some money. I do not think rust is good for anything on the rig, and I think the floor is made of wood so it is good to seal it from water damage. I will see if I can find a picture of Supurcar and add it to my avitar.

http://www.shockwarehouse.com

I found this website and it does list the Toyota mini motorhomes and shocks available. There are not many site that are able to do this. I did how ever go off the board for a shock not listed here, a "Rancho 5000" which came highly recomended for heavy vehicles. I just put them on and I have not done a road test yet. I will get an opportunity this afternoon to see how good they are. My second choice would have been the Bilsteins, but these are a lot more $$ than the Monroes. The Rancho 5000 is spendy as well.

I have a question regarding the spring helper and swaying. Are there some Toyota’s out there that are more rugged then others? My “87” Nova Star has 9 spring leaves, it sits up high enough in the back that I have to drive it on blocks in the front to level it on level ground! It does not sway at all but it does get blown around by passing trucks guess that’s normal? It only has 30k on it but I don’t think the shocks are heavy enough to match the springs they are pretty small (diameter) any thoughts on that? It does ride pretty hard but handles well.

• 1 month later...

Pager 5,

Great pics - have a question and a comment though - what size tires are you running on the dulies - I noticed they are touching and they may not be good - another thing, the bushings on your shocks should be tightened down till the rubber is the same size diameter as the metal washers.

84 Get er done

hey there 84geterdone,

My duelies are sized: 195 75 R14 I took the pics after the winter/cold nights. lost some poundadge. Have since re-aired and have @ 2" between the tires.

The tires have approx 4K on them and wearing very even.

The shock though - help me with this. I reinstalled the new shocks with the new bushings as seen, but, you say I need to run the nut down to where the bushing is "mashed" as falt as the washer?

I just assumed this was correct since the original bushings were just a little smaller.

Please help me so the shocks perform correctly.

Thanks,

Pager

Arkansas

post-1069-1206921853_thumb.jpg

• 15 years later...

Hi wallawallabob here I have a 1990 Winnebago warrior with blowing out airbags on the rear leaf springs appear to be good one to illuminate the airbags and any of the mechanics involved and go with a shock and a helper leaf spring or loadmaster type leaf spring add-on any suggestions would be appreciated

wallawallabob  here again

that was my first post and I see I cannot talk to text and it comes out like I wanted to
I’m going to eliminate the airbags on the 1990 Winnebago warrior 

The leaf springs look OK I’m looking to put a helper on the leaf springs

any suggestions would be appreciated

also, I will replacing the shocks on the front and rear

any suggestions would be appreciated

image.jpg

That Winnebago came from the factory with air bags. Winnebago apparently thought they were needed. Replacement bags only might be available for less than complete replacement. I'll look around if you're interested.

Nice looking rig.

Linda S

• 3 weeks later...

I have the same rig.  I added Hellwig helper springs on the rear suspension and replaced the old airbags with Airlift specifically made for Toyota Motorhome.  Also replaced a bunch of old rubber suspension bushings with poly bushings.

Helper springs:

https://www.amazon.com/Hellwig-815-LP-15-Helper-Spring/dp/B001UFXS0I/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2CEBK3M7EE45W&keywords=Hellwig+815+LP-15+Helper+Spring+Kit&qid=1686021593&s=automotive&sprefix=hellwig+815+lp-15+helper+spring+kit%2Cautomotive%2C279&sr=1-1&ufe=app_do%3Aamzn1.fos.18630bbb-fcbb-42f8-9767-857e17e03685

Airbag:

https://www.airliftcompany.com/shop/57113/

As far as shocks, I replaced all 4 corners with KYB, but one of the rear shocks developed a leak after only a year.  I replaced both rear KYBs with Bilsteins.

Thank you very much for the information. I was wondering if just a helper springs in new rear shocks would be enough because I do not carry enough load for airbags. I’m trying to keep it simple but if you think airbags are an advantage in someway, please let me know again thanks for your response Bob. 

No air shocks, no overload coils on shock. The shock mounting bolts will fail.

Choices

1. Overload 1/2 leaf spring

2. Add a leaf full length. Old Man Emu has them

3. Timbren booster

4. Zuk Mod or a variation of.

5. Air bags. 

Air bags can help level things at some camping spots

15 hours ago, htioki said:

I have the same rig.  I added Hellwig helper springs on the rear suspension and replaced the old airbags with Airlift specifically made for Toyota Motorhome.  Also replaced a bunch of old rubber suspension bushings with poly bushings.

Helper springs:

https://www.amazon.com/Hellwig-815-LP-15-Helper-Spring/dp/B001UFXS0I/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2CEBK3M7EE45W&keywords=Hellwig+815+LP-15+Helper+Spring+Kit&qid=1686021593&s=automotive&sprefix=hellwig+815+lp-15+helper+spring+kit%2Cautomotive%2C279&sr=1-1&ufe=app_do%3Aamzn1.fos.18630bbb-fcbb-42f8-9767-857e17e03685

Airbag:

https://www.airliftcompany.com/shop/57113/

As far as shocks, I replaced all 4 corners with KYB, but one of the rear shocks developed a leak after only a year.  I replaced both rear KYBs with Bilsteins.

I also had issues with one of my front KYBs leaking after a year. I replaced with bilsteins and haven't had any issues. 

When the onboard generator was still on the rig and clean water tank full of water, the driver side was noticeable lower. Inflating the left airbag a little more than the right pretty much level the side to side. I get nervous driving with one side lower.

Edited by htioki

I agree when the water tank is full and I do not have an onboard generator at this point, but hope to find one that will fit in that size opening. If you have any knowledge of a aftermarket generator that will fit in that hole it’s probably only 18 x 24 maybe 16 to 18 inches deep thank you for contributing. I appreciate this site. I’m looking at the aftermarket airbags to fit this model of mini Winnie motorhome on a Toyota chassis, and maybe even the Bent ad on Spring that attaches to the leafs along with new shock absorbers all the way around.