Tiny Homes For Toy Homes

These are some of the tiny homes that paid for and support my Toy Home. You will need to enlarge the Thumbnail to see them.

It's Boxing (up) Day for the ones I assembled for my 94 year old mother for her Christmas gift. There are 39 unique buildings that I am sending so I had better get back to work on it tonight.

This is the smallest size I cut, I call it the Micro size, its 1:336 scale. The gift boxes they are inside of are only one inch wide and three quarters of an inch high! I sell them as unassembled, precut kits in my Etsy store.

There is a hole in the base for inserting micro sized LED lights.

Having a vinyl cutter is pretty fun and a nice retirement income generator. I even made the gift boxes with it.

Happy Holidays to everyone and wishing you a lot of great adventures in the New Year.

post-6369-0-77681400-1450425697_thumb.jp

Size up to 1:220 houses, add a Z scale train and a 1ft Christmas tree. You would have a Toy MH size setting right out of a "Christmas Story"

Is it a laser cutter or does it have a blade? Can your cutter do thin plywood? If it will cut plywood, I would suggest making lightweight wooden Christmas tree ornaments. My wife and I buy them while traveling and many places don't have them. We were at Mackinac Island in September and nobody on the island had ornaments. I know that they would not cost much to make and they sell for $10 and up.

I already have a Z scale train and that is the scale I design the buildings in. I am just showing the smallest size available in this photo. Well relatively in Z scale as they are more in the line of being related to glitter houses and not super realistic as would be more desired by the model railroad hobbyist. That group likes photo realistic, not toy like.

They are cut with a blade. The blade is too fragile to handle cutting plywood and blades are not inexpensive.

There is a laser cutter here at the workshop but I am not going into the plywood ornament business for a number of reasons. Besides you are not factoring into that figure that the shops are putting a big markup on everything they sell. I would not be even close to getting 10.00 for one of them. By the time I deducted expenses my labor would pay less than minimum wage. But more importantly my passion is for designing architectural objects and I don't enjoy doing graphic designs. Plus the cardstock buildings keep me pretty busy during the holiday season, I have sold more than 7,000 of them in the last few years. I do not want to work full time, I am retired and like having the spring and summer pretty much off to work on other projects as well as just enjoying the easy pace and nice weather.

those are cool. You need to put an object next to them for reference. Hard to tell just how small they are.

I did put an object next to them for scale, as I stated the boxes shown in that photo above with the gold houses are 1" x 1" wide and 3/4" tall :)

33%252520knife%252520xs%252520copy.jpg

here is another one of the sets of very small scale cardstock buildings. I have average sized hands, about a men's medium in finger length

micro%252520OT%252520hand.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 2/11/2016 at 1:21 PM, Totem said:

hmm you should scan all those and get a 3d printer and just print them. less risk of exacto injury.

Silly guy Totem, I don't cut them by hand, I use a CNC machine to cut them. I also don't need to scan them as I design them in a 3D Cad program so I already have a 3D file of them.

We do have a 3D printer here at the workshop. It will be handy for making bits and pieces for my Sunrader should the need arise which I suspect it will.