Electrical Warning! Attention All Monterey Sunrader Owners

Totem

Was in process of installing the Bargman 99 LEDs and all was going well until they just randomly went out.. No amount of playing with wires would get them back I feared the Christmas style failover circuit might be giving them trouble or that I may have forgotten to clean the wires. Grabbing the nearest wire revealed HEAT.. I turned off the lights.

Went in and pulled down the cloth sure enough the bastards that built it didn't even use conduit nor protect the circuits ... The mount screws were literally biting through the wiring bridging - and +...

Beware owners check your marker lights as a fire while driving on freeway wouldn't be fun...

Screws and wiring are not just an issue on that model of Sunrader. I found screws that were creating issues for the wiring on my 1980 Sunrader. The screws that mount the license plate light were chaffing the wires that came from that light. Also screw that mounted the passenger side tail light was threaded into the Romex that ran up the back corner of the coach to provide power for an air conditioner. Fortunately I had no air conditioner and that wire had never been connected at the converter box. But luckily when I carefully slit open the outside covering of the Romex the screw had gone into the space between the pairs of wires instead of cutting into them. So I was able to simply wrap around the Romex with silicone sealing tape instead of having to replace a section of the wire. I added a clamp to hold it further into the corner and keep it out of the way of the tail light mounting screw.

bad%25252Bwire.jpg

chafed%25252Bwires.jpg

Any delusions of a quality, precise, careful, well engineered, quality build were quickly squashed by my first motorhome. According to statistics 35% of motor home fires are caused by 12 volt shorts! Jim

I believe that have seen them burn up . and seen burned units in the local junk yards. also plenty on fire dept you tube.

Any delusions of a quality, precise, careful, well engineered, quality build were quickly squashed by my first motorhome. According to statistics 35% of motor home fires are caused by 12 volt shorts! Jim

Another one is propane leaks at the fridge fittings very high fire area according to the insurance people.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a1984/85 sunder can't find short in power source to driver side rear tail light all lights are on and flash with turn

signal.ran new power source with toggle switch have to use to turn on brake light on right side and turn signals

for daylight driving, does anyone have a copy of wiring diagram.