I Believe it was Derek that asked about my tranny temp. I just did about 7 miles on a 92 degree day at 55 mph and the gauge read 120 degrees by the time I got home. The sensor is in the external filter past the radiator cooler and the aux cooler on the return to the tranny. Jim

I have no idea, that is the way it was set up when I bought it. Likely not too hard to move some hoses around and run fluid in opposite direction. Jim

I would put a sensor coming out of the tranny and put in a switch so I could tell both temps.
I think someone here has done this and posted their temps??? , a while ago.

Transmission temp sensors are usually installed to monitor how hot the trans is getting and not how cool the cooler makes the oil after it leaves the trans. A normal working trans runs at the same temp as the engine coolant except when being worked extra hard like climbing hills. I.e. around 190 degrees F is optimal.

Inside the pan is the best place for a temp sensor it is what the trans is using to do it's job.

Why not install a temp sender in the pan too & leave the one in the cooler line---- connect it to a double throw toggle switch, then you can read the working temp that the trans is using>>> flip the switch to read the cooler return flow.. Then you can also see how well your cooler is doing??? donnie

The cooler line dumps the oil back in the pan it is not under pressure it just returns to the pan at a pretty fair rate. Yes there is pressure on the line do not block it or you will blow the rubber hoses off but it's only working pressure is friction in the cooler lines so the oil in the pan is oil that came from the cooler it is representive of trans temp in use. If you feel a need to find out how hot the oil is leaving the trans then you need a sensor in the discharge line from the trans before the cooler. It would kind of be a moot point because that is where all the heat is after the fact it is waste heat uncooled.

I believe there are sensors that wrap around the output line to cooler. you want to know how hot the fluid is. if the cooling is working well it will not be too hot coming out .

With the wrap around or other not intrusive method, the atf lines do not have to be messed with. The sender unit gets the heat from the line

I was wondering if anyone made a drain plug sensor. Does anyone have a part number and a gauge to go with it.

• 2 weeks later...