Installation Of Propane Heater In Dolphin

I am researching a way to do a permanent install of either a blue flame, catalytic, or ceramic heater in my 1988 dolphin. Has anyone out there done it?

Thanks

Dale

This is actually an area to post about projects you've done, not to ask how to do them. You might get more traffic in the correct area. Do you have a heater now? Some of it will depend on whether you can just hook in to an existing propane line, or if you need to run a whole new one or split a line somewhere.

It is not a big deal but you can not run it with out make up air (well you can if you don't want to wake up in the morning) it has no provisions for that like the RV furnace does. Many have an O2 depletion cut off if you trust it.

I am researching a way to do a permanent install of either a blue flame, catalytic, or ceramic heater in my 1988 dolphin. Has anyone out there done it?

Thanks

Dale

Why would you want to? You cannot use them safely without a window cracked open. The OEM type forced-air furnace is safer and can be used with the windows closed. If you really DO want one - you can install just about anywhere. Problem is - very hard to find a place in a small RV where it's safe and nothing can be leaned against it that will over-heat. There was one installed in my 1988 MIicruiser when I got it - in the spot where the OEM furnace was supposed to be. I removed it and put the OEM type furnace back in. If I HAD to use one - it would NOT be a Blue Flame I'd use Catalytic only but even with that - tough to find anywhere with enough distance from objects - or dogs - or kids - that will get too close.

Boy Linda that is a hell of a deal! I would ask them if the are indeed designed for propane not natural gas.

I am going to reach out to the seller of these heaters for more information. I understand the concerns of using propane inside. I plan on using my camper mostly off the electrical grid so I need heat that is not as electricity dependent as the oem unit. The oem heater works fine. I pulled it out and cleaned the brushes and lubricated bearings with high temp lubricants. Installed a new digital thermostat over by the over cab so I can reach it from bed. My plan is to use a propane unit only with proper ventilation and only when I am away. I will set the oem unit to turn on at 55 or so at night.

Again thanks for the yip on the heaters

What is the supposed advantage of these cat-heaters over an OEM forced-air heater? I don't get it. One valid reason for a cat-heater is when used in an unvented area because it makes less fumes (like in a large room in a house). But in an RV? That listing shows two sizes - a 3000 BTU and a 5200 BTU and there is NO mention if that is the "input" rating or the "output" rating. Since they fail to mention it (at least I don't see it) - and these are vented - I suspect that have heat "output" ratings of only 2460 BTUs or 4260 BTUs. That's not very much heat and would be kind of useless in a cold area. A 21 foot Toyota RV needs 9000-10,000 BTUs of heat to stay warm when it's 10-30 degrees F outside.

Noise, less fuel no cold air on your feet when they don't light the big difference with the furnace they make all their heat all at once and yes they heat it up much quicker but if you have a smaller unit on constantly it does just as good a job. I can keep mine warm enough for comfort with a 1000 watt electric heater with frost on the ground.

The big difference is no fan so batteries last way longer. Maybe less heat but way more heat than a

power hungry furnace and dead batteries. Yes I have gotten up in the middle of the night when up in the mountains to turn on the engine cause my batteries were dead and I was freezing. I wouldn't mind a Cat heater myself but have no idea where I would mount it in an 18ft Sunrader

Linda S

I use a buddy heater while awake...on low it keeps it comfortable at 30 degrees outside...at night I climb into a good sleeping bag and use no heat. I have a switch by the bed to turn the furnace on for 10 minutes in the morning, then get up and dressed and put the buddy heater on.

The big difference is no fan so batteries last way longer. Maybe less heat but way more heat than a

power hungry furnace and dead batteries. Yes I have gotten up in the middle of the night when up in the mountains to turn on the engine cause my batteries were dead and I was freezing. I wouldn't mind a Cat heater myself but have no idea where I would mount it in an 18ft Sunrader

Linda S

How long do the the batteries have to last in an RV? For my use, the heater is only used at night and one night is not going to cause a dead battery. I'm well aware of how the so-called "unvented" heaters work. I've got three in my house that I use for spot heating when the wood furnace is not going.

If you've had to get up in the middle of the night because of a dead battery - what the heck were you doing? An RV furnace uses around 6 amps when running. On a very cold night that furnace might run 1/4 of the time. Even if used for 12 hours - that's only 3 hours of a 6 amp draw. A typical type # 27 "house" battery can run a furnace 12-16 hours non-stop which is not going to happen. I.e one night might deplete that battery downt to 75%. I've camped many nights - from 7 PM to 8 AM in temps of 20 degrees F outside. Watched TV with a DVD player for a few hours, used the lights, and ran the furnace the whole time and never got near killing the battery.

So yes, I don't get it. Not unless and RV is being used more as a full-time non-,mobile residence with NO grid-power or solar-power available.

And in regard to claims of using less fuel?? How does that work? A catalytic heater with a vent likely runs at around 80-85% efficiency, just like a typical RV forced-air furnace. I.e. they are exactly the same in fuel use per heat output. If one uses less fuel then the other it's because it is making less heat.

I want to thank you all for the tips. Yesterday I plumbed a T fitting and shut off valve in to a low pressure propane line. I will use the large size buddy heater with a 3 foot gas hose with a disconnect.

I want to thank you all for the tips. Yesterday I plumbed a T fitting and shut off valve in to a low pressure propane line. I will use the large size buddy heater with a 3 foot gas hose with a disconnect.

Just be sure to open a window a bit for make up air and it will work fine more than enough heat to keep you warm and no noise! Check your fittings for leaks a bit of dish wash soap a little water and a small brush if there are any leaks it will blow neat bubbles.