So, looking forward to Spring, the open road, etc. and I'm thinking I probably need a full set of tires on the 91 Warrior I bought last September. All six of 'em look pretty much like the photo I snapped over the weekend—good tread on a quality tire... but just too dang old, right? Anyone want to weigh in on this, before I bite the bullet and drop 6-8 bills on new rubber? Appreciate it!

old-vanco-tire.jpg

Tire manufacturer's vary on tire life 7 to 10 years. I will not travel on tires over 7 years old, only my opinion which was formed by listening to knowledgeable people.

I just bought my toy and 5 of the tires are 14 years old and 2 are 7 years old. I blew one 14 year old tire on the way home after buying unit. I would not even use these tires for a spare!

There are a couple threads, one is on GoForm tires and another on valve stems in this section. I went with the GoForm tires and spent a total of $550 for 7 new tires mounted and balanced with new valve stems. This did require some effort and running around on my part.

If you are not acquainted with dual wheels, valve stems can be an issue when trying to check or air up tires. If you have had dual wheels then you know : ) I learned this lesson the hard way!

Good Luck JIm SW FL

New York State is trying to enact a new law that makes using tires over 10 years old illegal. All I can say is - I'm glad I got the h*ll out of NY. Many tires last 20 years and many others show dry-rot cracks at 5 years. It's a crap-shoot. I've never had a tire blow due to age if it did not show dry-rot cracking first. So I use that as a rule of thumb. So far, it has always worked for me. The 235/75-15" tires on my diesel plow truck are 20 years old and just started showing cracks and are coming off. My brother-in-law has a Lexus that is only four years old and the factory tires are already full of cracks.

When I bought my seabreeze I knew nothing about tire age, they looked good with no sidewall cracking....then when I learned and checked, I found out they were 19 years old!...further checking showed cracking in threadlines so I replaced them all.

Thanks everybody for the advice, sharing your knowledge. Really appreciate it!

I think I am going to go head and buy a full set, probably go with the Nexen SV820. Sounds like I also need to spend some time researching valve stem options further (thanks, Jim).

if you do decide to ride on old tires, always have them periodically balanced and add tire sand. this reduced the washing machine spin cycle effect your passengers experience causing them to spill drinks. You can always tell whose rig hasn't been balanced by the koolaid stains...

New York State is trying to enact a new law that makes using tires over 10 years old illegal. All I can say is - I'm glad I got the h*ll out of NY. Many tires last 20 years and many others show dry-rot cracks at 5 years. It's a crap-shoot. I've never had a tire blow due to age if it did not show dry-rot cracking first. So I use that as a rule of thumb. So far, it has always worked for me. The 235/75-15" tires on my diesel plow truck are 20 years old and just started showing cracks and are coming off. My brother-in-law has a Lexus that is only four years old and the factory tires are already full of cracks.

Will the last person to leave NY please turn out the lights. I live in FL but my heart is in Buffalo. JIm SW FL

• 1 month later...

Update: I ended up purchasing a set of Nexen SV820 tires from Walmart for $89ea + tax. I brought my own Toyota OEM valves and had the tires mounted over the weekend at Walmart. As you can see in the photo, they were able to get the rig into the bay; it was a pretty tight fit due to the AC unit, of course.

Unfortunately, they were not able to balance the tires; the rims would not fit correctly on the setup that they had, even thought they tried a few different options. No other shops were open in the area on Saturday afternoon, so I had to drive it home like that (not good!). I'll have to head back out next weekend and find a place that can balance 'em... :(

Other than the cost of the tires, I only had to give Walmart $9, since they couldn't do the balance and because I brought my own tire valves. Pretty good deal, right?

post-7949-0-32912200-1427726860_thumb.jp

Thanks for the follow up. Good deal ???? You won't know until you have the tires balanced. Jim

Got the tires balanced over the weekend. A local shop did it for $48 and also took a look at the front-end, since the truck's been pulling a little to the right ever since I bought it. We scheduled an alignment for next Saturday morning, and that should run me about $59 (barring any unforeseen disasters). Anyway, after the balance, the drive home felt much better—smoother and quieter than it has been, for sure. So far, so good...

Look's like you did good on that. $59 for a front end alignment, I would be thrilled! I feel more comfortable dealing wth local shops than national franchises. Jim

• 2 months later...

in my opinion anyone who buys an older rv should be prepared to put some smart safe necessary money into it.

tires brakes shocks and a tune up should be an absolute must.

ur life is worth it