Porta Potty

Debbit

I always wonder if using an electric bread knife could help cut a custom cut replacement mattress out of a too big queen standard but would be too scared to cut said investment...

Rear seat cushions in my Toyota are new foam that I did indeed cut from a foam mattress with an electric knife. Cuts were not perfect but clean enough that they don't show through the fabric. Bought a full size mattress from eBay 4 inch thick for only 56 dollars including shipping. They're more now but still less than a hundred. If anyone wants the supplier I will find it for you.

Linda S

This guy. Prices have gone up but if you've ever shopped foam you know how expensive it is. These are a deal

http://stores.ebay.com/Ritchie-Foam-and-Mattress-Company/Mattresses-/_i.html?_fsub=2&_sid=399666160&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322

interesting... because my foam stinks worse than debbits I bet... and not because of a leak in the RV, but from condensation and kids that wet the bed in prior years before learning to control themselves and use the bathroom.

When I was tring to clean grout I found that Oxyclean is active for up to 6 hours if kept wet. Soaking for up to 6 hours will remove even tough stains and odors. I have done my socks like this many times and it does no damage to the material. There are better Enzyme type products for urine odors.

I tried the cheaper Oxy look alikes and they leave a horrible residue, stay away from them.

I read it on the internet so it must be true? JIm SW FL

Rear seat cushions in my Toyota are new foam that I did indeed cut from a foam mattress with an electric knife. Cuts were not perfect but clean enough that they don't show through the fabric. Bought a full size mattress from eBay 4 inch thick for only 56 dollars including shipping. They're more now but still less than a hundred. If anyone wants the supplier I will find it for you.

Linda S

This guy. Prices have gone up but if you've ever shopped foam you know how expensive it is. These are a deal

http://stores.ebay.com/Ritchie-Foam-and-Mattress-Company/Mattresses-/_i.html?_fsub=2&_sid=399666160&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322

Linda...how is the mattress holding up??..It is not a very high density so I was wondering how it is doing! Does it spring back up each morning or is it showing depressions??

This was in the dinette are and that is where I actually sleep. Still very comfy and firm. I did this a long time ago too. 5 years maybe, could be more. For those that are looking for foam you need to realize that memory foam does not provide support. Nice and cushy for a topper but underneath you need polyurethane for support. Even those pricey Tempur-pedics are built like that. Latex or memory foam is also very heavy compared to poly. Mattresses I posted are polyurethane. I have a down featherbed for cushy on top. LOVE sleeping in my camper.

Linda S

I got lucky this week and got a like new free 3" thick latex mattress foam piece that I can use for the cushions on my new rear dinette bench. it was big enough to do what I need with it. It is the type that has vertical holes throughout the foam. It reduces weight and makes for cooler sleeping too. The huge advantage in latex is that it is mildew and mold resistant so you don't end up with those funky smells. The holes in this type of mattress means it dries quickly from any moisture from persons sleeping on it. I did not find it to be very heavy in weight. But weight of a specific mattress depends on the density of the foam it is made with.

Your leak might not be your lights. The Sunraders fibreglass were screwed together at the seam, they often used too long screws. If your outside trim piece is old id recommend replacing it. Pull it off - it will probably fall apart and under it you might even find drilled holes with no screws in them! I did and that was my problem solved. I'd hate for you to replace everything and still have that pesky leak.

Your leak might not be your lights. The Sunraders fibreglass were screwed together at the seam, they often used too long screws. If your outside trim piece is old id recommend replacing it. Pull it off - it will probably fall apart and under it you might even find drilled holes with no screws in them! I did and that was my problem solved. I'd hate for you to replace everything and still have that pesky leak.

As they are removing the old vinyl and foam that was under the forward window in the overcab they will not have to remove the outside trim to see if the screws have come through the fiberglass as they will be visible. Plus they will be able to cover over the holes with fiberglass patches if there are any before they put new vinyl back in. Of course that will only fix the holes from the trim band in that specific area. The screw holes in the trim band were causing leaks on the sidewalls of my overcab area as well.

I think one member who was on the forum for a while had the right idea... remove the band, don't put it back but instead do a fill and fiberglass job from the outside. However that is a major job as the band covers up some really ragged stuff. You will need to mix up a lot of fiberglass resin with filler, fill the rough voided areas, then smooth and do a paint job the whole length of the shell. Lots of hours, money for materials and patience needed plus some good surface finishing and painting skills.

We have slowly been replacing the vinyl strip that goes in the metal that covers the seam. The last part to do was the part over the cab, so my husband started today. He found several holes with no screws, so is dabbing silicone in them. I'm sure water was seeping in at that seam, because as I ran my finger along there, I felt moisture. I saw drips running down from higher too, so we are resealing the lights all around. We also have a leak in the rear which is in the area of a side marker light, so I do suspect the lights. Then we will spray the front with a hose and look for water inside. The windows gaskets could have some gaps where water gets in too. I'm going to wash the bunk covers, spray and air the foam. When we are sure there are no more leaks, we'll paint and paper the upper bunk area. If the original cushions don't stink, we will reuse. If not, I think a mattress is next on the list. I'm itching to go camping/stargazing, so we will sleep on dinette till upstairs is done. The upper bunk is a good storage spot for now.

Thanks everyone for all the hints and great advice!