Which Motorhome For Cross Country Move And Reselling?

Lostcoast2014

My wife and I are moving from California to North Carolina next month. We have a medium-sized dog and two cats and decided to rent a motorhome as the safest and sanest way to get everyone across the country. Well after looking at the exorbitant price of renting a motorhome and the terrible reviews that rv rental companies like CruiseAmerica get from its customers, I decided to look into buying a not-too large motorhome that we could then sell after reaching our new home in the East. After a day of looking at motorhomes online we decided that the ones with the Toyota engines and chassis were the most appealing and seemed to get the best reviews and gas mileage.

We are wanting to spend $8000 or less for a motor home that will have good resale value when we sell it next spring. Are there particular models that are more appealing and that sell more readily than others?

So far I have found a variety of Toyota RV's within a day's drive of me. The owners describe them as being in excellent condition, and most of them have well under 100,000 miles. They include a '84 Sunrader, a '84 New Horizon, a '86 Dolphin, a '87 and '88 Winnebago, a '89 Seabreeze, an '91 Odessey, and a '92 Winnebago Warrior.

Is it worth going for the 4-cylinder engine for the better gas mileage over the V6 that I have read is not much more powerful and gets lower gas mileage? What would "the discerning buyer" purchase of the models I have listed above?

Thanks for any input you care to offer.

Kevin

Edited by Lostcoast2014

Many of us are here because we don't have much money and we noticed that the Toys do hold their value. I've never had a 6 so I can't compare, but I don't think fuel savings would be enough to influence any decision. I think you would want the one that seems the most mechanically sound. If you don't make it, nothing else matters. We love them, but they are small and they don't go up hills very fast.

It seems to me that people with the V6 report ~14MPG. With the 22R-E, ~16MPG.

I don't know exactly where you're starting or ending your cross country trek, but assuming L.A. to Washington DC, that's around 2700 miles. So, 193 gallons vs. 169 gallons (24 gallons difference). At $4/gallon, that's around $100 difference. Not a major difference in an $8000 purchase. :)

The V6 has more torque so the engine cruises in the lower RPM range, especially in overdrive.

The transmission with the later models is more robust.

No wrong axle issues with the V6.

When speed is needed, the V6 will go 70 mph but gas mileage drops considerably, down to 10-12 mpg, depending on prevailing wind direction.

Mine has over 230K miles and runs like a top.

In the south dash ac, roof ac, generater are important. Although the generator may not be so much if the buyer wants to camp at a KOA.

But most of us like to run the roof ac while eating lunch.

Absolutely go with the V6. Smoother ride, easier handling and you will probably be pretty packed up. Better to handle the load on the mountains you need to go over. An overloaded 4 cylinder can easily get worse mileage than the V6.

Linda S

A used motor home is only as good as the P/Os maintenance. Meaning there are no bad MHs only bad owners who did not take care of the expected leaks or just cobble up a bunch of wiring to run something odd and the wiring has failed and you now have a mess to fix.
That being said the Sunraders and Winnebagos are known names and will be easier to resell.
Ya know you could keep the Toy and enjoy camping around the south.

The 91 Odyssey in North Sacramento gets my vote but it is almost due for a valve adjustment. The owner has all service records which is very nice. Ask if it's been done yet. If not ask for a price adjustment so you can get it done. They are not cheap. These are the roomiest Toyota motorhomes. Make a long trip more comfortable. Pretty sure this is the one your talking about. The lostcoast is a giveaway to your location.

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/rvs/4715996208.html

Linda S

My wife and I are moving from California to North Carolina next month. We have a medium-sized dog and two cats and decided to rent a motorhome as the safest and sanest way to get everyone across the country.

Hopefully you are mechanically inclined or know someone who is. Many if not most 25-30 year old motorhomes are due for a very thorough checkover - regardless of mileage on the odometer or outward appearances. When you are travelling with animals - and you break down somewhere - things can turn in a huge mess quick unless you've got some backup systems in mind. I moved two months ago and used a Toyota RV to carry my wife, kid, dog, cats, and 6 chickens. We had what should of been a "minor" breakdown with a water-pump failure that resulting in a big mess. Not so easy to find someone to work on a rig right away and also not always easy to find motels who allow cats and dogs. In our case - I was following my wife. I was driving a 26 foot moving truck and she was driving the Toyota when it broke down. I was able to drive the 26 footer to an airport 20 miles away and rent a van. But - that was NOT easy. I found out just how difficult it is to rent something bigger then a small car on a moments notice and a one-way rental. I called three companies and NONE could rent me anything at first. Then after an hour - Hertz called me back and had a Dodge GrandCaravan I could rent. It was just big enough to pack the people and kids into, along with the cat litterboxes. Next problem was finding motels that would let us in with the cats and dog. Chickens stayed in the back of the rental van. If you are buying just to move and then resell the RV - I would not limit your search to just a Toyota. For one trip - fuel expense can be a minor issue as compared to other expenses you might incur from a breakdown with people and animals to deal with. You might find a later model Class C General Motors or Ford that will eat more gas, but also might have better reliability. Plus the bigger Cs are often for sale cheaper then Toyota RV mini-RVs. On top of that - a GM or Ford Class C will give you the option of pulling a trailer if you want. Don't get me wrong. A Toyota in good shape and well checked over can be fine for what you want. Just keep in mind that a 25-30 year old mini-truck run overloaded its whole life is apt to have more issues then a full-size class C - especially if that Class C is newer.

Lady and gentlemen, thanks very much for your prompt replies - I came to the right place!

Jdemaris your suggestion of a GM or Ford Class C is good food for thought, and actually I started my search yesterday looking at some online - but the ones in my price range were made in the 80's like the Toyota RV's. I figured if I was going to buy a vehicle from the '80's or early '90's it should be run by a Toyota engine, but perhaps that is old prejudice and ignorance speaking on my part.

On a related note, is it desirable to purchase an RV from a dealer if the dealer has a good reputation?

Thanks again, everyone.

One thing worth mentioning is that my wife and I will not be loading down the motorhome with heavy stuff. It will be used pretty much just to transport us from coastal California to North Carolina. We plan to take the southern route, which has less change of elevation. So in other words the rv will not be under a lot of strain.

Shibs - you are suggesting moving cross country in a van with a dog and two cats? A motorhome feels necessary as we don't want to be transferring cats to a hotel room every night.

Lady and gentlemen, thanks very much for your prompt replies - I came to the right place!

Jdemaris your suggestion of a GM or Ford Class C is good food for thought, and actually I started my search yesterday looking at some online - but the ones in my price range were made in the 80's like the Toyota RV's. I figured if I was going to buy a vehicle from the '80's or early '90's it should be run by a Toyota engine, but perhaps that is old prejudice and ignorance speaking on my part.

On a related note, is it desirable to purchase an RV from a dealer if the dealer has a good reputation?

Thanks again, everyone.

I did a quick check for non Toyota's too. All just as old or older in your price range and not as nice as most of the Toyota's available. Resell value will always be better for Toyota's too. I would never buy from a dealer. They will not know what past maintenance has been done and they don't thoroughly check vehicles out. Also have to have a big mark up to cover costs and profit.

Linda S

Linda what you found re: prices of non-Toyotas is what I have been finding as well.

I am about to call about the '91 Toyota Odessey in North Sacramento. There is also a '92 Toyota Winnebago with only 60,000 miles in Stockton, about an hour away from the Odessey. I may drive out to see them both tomorrow (5 hrs drive from where I live). I would like to try to have a mobile mechanic check whatever vehicle I am most interested in to evaluate compression, suspension, etc.

Linda what you found re: prices of non-Toyotas is what I have been finding as well.

I am about to call about the '91 Toyota Odessey in North Sacramento. There is also a '92 Toyota Winnebago with only 60,000 miles in Stockton, about an hour away from the Odessey. I may drive out to see them both tomorrow (5 hrs drive from where I live). I would like to try to have a mobile mechanic check whatever vehicle I am most interested in to evaluate compression, suspension, etc.

The Winnebago looks good too. Just remember about the valve adjustment. Absolutely has to be done at 60,000 miles. Not taking care of it can cause burnt valves and a huge bill. If either of them haven't been done use that a bargaining factor. There was also a special service campaign for the head gaskets. With the vin you can call Toyota and see if either of them had this work done. Information is on this site about it pinned under engine section. Sounds like a lot of work but when taken care of it is an extremely dependable engine

Linda S

For anything in the age-range you're looking at - I'd make an effort to check all non-lubricated moving parts. With a Toyota RV - that means wheel bearings front and back, universal joints, drive-shaft support bearing, engine water pump, alternator bearings, idlers, etc. If you jack all the wheels off the ground, and all spins smoothly with little slop - they are likely fine for a 2500 mile trip. In regard to a dealer? Dealers exist to buy cheaper and sell higher. If your intention is to buy something priced low enough to be able to sell soon after and recover your money - using a dealer is a bad way to go. In regard to full size Class Cs as compared to Toyotas? Keep in mind that Toyotas have been run overloaded since they were new. They are overloaded minitrucks with low power. Full size Class Cs are are built heavier, and therefore more durable. I prefer a Toyota because it's fun to drive and I've been a mechanic most of my life (so don't mind working on it). Neither me or my family are in a hurry either and do not mind driving 55-60 MPH everwhere we go. If I was buying a RV for just one trip across country - and not as a "keeper" - I suspect I'd prefer something that could cruise at 75 MPH and pull a trailer. My 4WD Dodge truck with an 11 foot slide-on camper on the back can do 75 MPH all day long as get 17 MPG doing it. Just not as convenient or fun as a small Toyota when it comes to stop and go travel and camping. No matter what you buy - if you buy on the low end, chances are you can recover your money if no huge repairs are needed in the interim. Doesn't matter if it's a GM, Ford, Dodge, or a Toyota. If priced right now, it's likely you can sell easy later.

I can see where getting a GM / Ford / Dodge C Class and towing a small UHaul trailer makes sense, though I don't need to be able to do 75mph and am fine with 55-60. Plus the thought of driving a vehicle cross country that is about or over 30 feet long feels pretty daunting..

Edited by Lostcoast2014

I can see where getting a GM / Ford / Dodge C Class and towing a small UHaul trailer makes sense, though doing 75mph is not important to me. I am fine with 55-60mph. However the thought of driving a vehicle cross country that is about 30 feet long feels pretty daunting..

I WILL say that driving a 21 foot Toyota RV is about as "undaunting" as an RV can get (in my opinion). Easy to park and maneuver. Sometimes you can almost forget you're driving an RV other then the lack of power.

Yes Sir, a full size ext van will meet your purpose and will be less risky than a toyo. rip out the bench seats or better buy a cargo van.

cabelas sells bunk beds that you can put in the back and sleep like a king. only issue will be shower and potty, just book good camp grounds or truck stop with shower facilities.

even if you idle all night, you will not consume more than 4 gallons (ask me how I know :-))

your van has a/c heat built in, if needed install a hitch carrier or tow a little enclosed trailer behind.

As the toyo guru JD pointed out, a 20 plus year old camper will have issues and needs to be looked over.

I had mine for years and have not been able to take it out camping yet. nearly nobody sells a good camper. be very leery of someone selling any camper without the mention of any issues.

go a chevy dealership and check out the space inside a full size extended cargo van, then go and check out one of the Toyota rv.

I see deals like this almost on a daily basis but I usually don't stop and look close. Today I did. 1990 Ford Winnebago based on a 1 ton E350 chassis. 460 engine, and a 10,000 lbs. GVWR. Probably gets around 8-9 MPG when cruising at 65 MPH. 62K miles, no rust, and six new tires. Clean inside and I bet it's never sat out in the snow, yet. Asking price is $4500 or "best offer" and I'd bet it could be bought in the ballpark of $3800. I'd buy it in a minute at that price if it was just for one trip and then to resell.

post-6578-0-95060800-1413673862_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-64210900-1413673864_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-20163000-1413673866_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-38956500-1413673867_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-39925800-1413673868_thumb.jp

Just not in Northern California. They all cost more here but since there are quite a few Toyota motorhomes compared to the east coast and Midwest they tend to be reasonable. Save about 150 gallons of gas, never worry about stopping at a store or sightseeing area and worry about parking or getting back out. We buy Toyota's for a reason. Actually lots of really good reasons. Hey you did.

Linda S

Just not in Northern California. They all cost more here but since there are quite a few Toyota motorhomes compared to the east coast and Midwest they tend to be reasonable. Save about 150 gallons of gas, never worry about stopping at a store or sightseeing area and worry about parking or getting back out. We buy Toyota's for a reason. Actually lots of really good reasons. Hey you did.

Linda S

Yes, I have not desire to ever own a big motorhome again. I want the convenience that a little Toyota offers for the type of camping that our family does. That being said, if I only wanted an RV to get me across the USA on one trip and then sell - I'd buy whatever looked to be in good shape and was priced low enough that I could sell it easy later. This time of year, I see a lot of RVs for sale in "panic sales" because the owner's know what the winter snow will do to them. I suspect in warmer parts of the USA, that does not happen.

I have had both an 87 Dolphin with 4 cyl 22RE and 90 Dolphin with 6 cyl. The 6 cyl for me is getting better gas mileage, av 13.2 vs 12.4 for the 4 cyl. The 6 also rides better and is quieter. This is only one man's experience but gas mileage reported on this site over the last 2 or 3 years seems to favor the 6 cyl by about a half gallon on average. Also a newer toyhouse will likely bring a better resale provided it is in decent shape and really really clean inside and out when you sell.

Sorry, above post shoud be half a mpg not half a gallon. My error.

I see deals like this almost on a daily basis but I usually don't stop and look close. Today I did. 1990 Ford Winnebago based on a 1 ton E350 chassis. 460 engine, and a 10,000 lbs. GVWR. Probably gets around 8-9 MPG when cruising at 65 MPH. 62K miles, no rust, and six new tires. Clean inside and I bet it's never sat out in the snow, yet. Asking price is $4500 or "best offer" and I'd bet it could be bought in the ballpark of $3800. I'd buy it in a minute at that price if it was just for one trip and then to resell.

Here is my apprehension for the OP, this "looks" like a turn key camper that the op and his family can jump on board and drive across the states.

Most likely the other systems in the vehicle has been neglected and needs attention. The exhaust system is probably shot.

No offense but those thick layers of fiberglass and insulation can hide a lot of latent problems.

I would only get something like this if I had a month to drive it around and take my time and fix all the issues and service all the system in the vehicle before embarking on a long trip.

Thanks everyone for your helpful input - I really appreciate it. My father-in-law who is very mechanically savvy expressed some concerns about the Toyota V6 engine so I have started to lean in the direction of one of the smaller Minnie Winnie's. I found a 21' Minnie in Oregon with low-ish miles that looks great and the owner has happily agreed to let me take it to a mechanic for a thorough check-out. He claims that it gets 11-12 mpg which is not too different than the Toyota V6. At 21 ft I would have the same ease of parking as I would with the Toyota, plus with the Minnie there would be more interior space. I do have a soft spot for the Toyomotorhomes, maybe because I have had such good experiences with Japanese cars (except Subarus), but I may decide to go with a Minnie Winnie this time around.

Edited by Lostcoast2014

Alright now I'm vacillating because I found what looks online like a very clean 1992 Toyota Winnebago Warrior, in southern Oregon. Not many miles, clean in and out. Trick is that the contact person is the daughter of the elderly parents who owned it and all she knows about the vehicle is that "It runs great! Come and see it!" This thing is priced such that I could contemplate actually keeping it rather than reselling after our cross-country move, like I would the Minnie Winnie, which is several thousand dollars more expensive.

So I may drive to see it and if I like it will take it to a mechanic to have it looked into and over. Are there particular things I should have the mechanic check out?

As mentioned before my father-in-law had nothing good to say about the Toyota V6 3.0. He said they were underpowered and not fuel efficient. Is this true? Are these engines still known for lasting a long time with proper care?

Anyone out there have the '92 Warrior who can comment on what it has been / was like for you?

With thanks,
Kevin

Edited by Lostcoast2014

I don't see any such listings on craigslist but your father in law is wrong. Do you honestly think that this site and the Yahoo site about the same motorhomes would exist if they weren't well loved motorhomes that last a long time. Somewhere between 5 to 10 thousand members between the 2 sites. All the vehicle's 20 plus years old but still running and giving lots of enjoyment. Every year we have several members go to Alaska or central America. Hello!.

Linda S

I know - I said the same thing as you said to my f-i-l. I also know that the Toyota motorhomes are lovable things and sometimes people put up with all kinds of stuff for the things they love. To be fair to my wife's father I did find posts online about folks having head gasket trouble with the V6 and folks complaining about it being underpowered and getting poor gas mileage. The internet, right? - where you can find all sides of an argument, right or wrong. I respect my father-in-law's mechanical knowledge but it sounds like in this case he is incorrect...

Edited by Lostcoast2014

I had a 90 v6 camry and it had valve cover gaskets leaking, rad failed, pulsation damper failed, battery cable corroded, exhaust. but that sucker ran and ran and ran. it is still running today.

under powered, yes a bit, fuel efficient? I think for the weight and shape, you are getting plenty.

I know - I said the same thing as you said to my f-i-l. I also know that the Toyota motorhomes are lovable things and sometimes people put up with all kinds of stuff for the things they love. To be fair to my wife's father I did find posts online about folks having head gasket trouble with the V6 and folks complaining about it being underpowered and getting poor gas mileage. The internet, right? - where you can find all sides of an argument, right or wrong. I respect my father-in-law's mechanical knowledge but it sounds like in this case he is incorrect...

Not sure I'd call your father-in-law incorrect. You'd have to ask him to define some of the negative adjectives he used. Just because there are a few forums around with Toyota RV owners and lovers - it means little on a broader spectrum. The people on these forums probably represent a very small percentage of people who have actually owned these things. I've met many Toyota RV owners over the years and have yet to meet even one who has used this forum - or the other ban-crazy place on Yahoo. I am also involved in several esoteric forums for antique diesels, post and beam hand-hewn construction, antique farm tractors, alternative energy, antique kitchen equipment, etc. One common denominator is that many on those forums think their field of interest is the "best." Terms like "under-powered" or "unreliable" have little meaning without context and "compared to what?" Same goes with "fuel mileage."

Power? Any Toyota RV, regardless if a 2.2, 2.4, or 3 liter engine is "under-powered" when compared to just about any standard car or truck. Also when compared to most other RVs. It is an overloaded mini-truck with a small, low power engine. That doesn't mean it can't be a pleasure to drive and camp with. A Toyota RV cannot maintain all the posted highway speeds in the USA when there are hills involved. To many people - that meets the working definition of "under-powered."

Fuel mileage? It's a shame so many people have either lied or fantasized for years about mini-truck-based RVs. I still hear, or read about 21 foot Toyota RVs getting over 20 MPG at highway speeds. Even by one alleged Toyota "guru" over at Yahoo. In the real world - 13-15 MPG, on average, at 55-60 MPH is a reasonable expectation. Push it faster and MPGs come down to 12 MPG pretty quick. Not any different in Europe/Australia now with the new ones still being built.

Here's some context. My first large RV was a small 21' Champion Class A with what I regarded as a small 318 cubic inch V8. Top speed was 65 MPH and it got a best of 6 MPG!! I spent a year rebuilding it, took it on one trip, and got rid of it. That makes a little Toyota getting 14 MPG @ 55 MPH look good, right? On the other end of the argument, my 1992 Dodge 4WD diesel truck will cruise all day long at 75 MPH with a large slide-on camper on the back and get 17 MPG. Yes, diesel fuel cost more then gasoline, but it still makes the Toyota look like a slow-gas-hog.

Reliability? As compared to other Toyota engines of the 80s-90s, the 3 liter six is poor design. As compared to other engines from other auto makers of the time? I'd call it "average." The plain fact is that large RVs with truly HD design do more work and last longer then a small Toyota before big repairs are needed. The Toyotas though, in my opinion, are more fun to camp with and drive on back-roads with. I was working as an auto mechanic in the late 60s when the "mini-truck" rage hit the USA. People were buying Datsuns, Mazdas, and Toyotas, beating the heck out of them, and they took the abuse amazingly well. That longevity though does not carry-over 100% when you make a 5000 lb. RV out of one of these mini-trucks and then make it 20 plus years old.

One other factor I didn't mention. If you are not a mechanic well versed in your own rig, you're apt to find it more difficult to find competent people to work on an older Toyota RV as compared to bigger USA designed rigs. Same goes for identifying proper parts and getting them quick during a breakdown.