78 Hi Lux Or Earlier Horn Contact In The Column Needed

Donnie

Hello all, this is really a long shot but I am wondering if anyone on here may have a parts truck that would be willing to sell me a small but needed part....I need the horn contact spring that connects to the headlamp switch with 1 small screw & levers over to contact the wiper ring on the underside of the steering wheel.. The PO installed a push button on the side of the steering column & I would like to put the correct contact in place to eliminate this contraption.

I have exhausted the local scrap yards & would be willing to send 20 bux to anyone that can help me

Thanks for reading this pitiful plea, but I am lost as to where to locate this part.....been thru vintage & obsolete Toy parts on line........................Donnie

The easiest solution is to mount a momentary push button on the dash. My '86 1 Ton dually Toyota truck had the same problem and I mounted a big red button on the dash, then connect the wire that power the horn to it.

Good luck,

Hello, perhaps you mis-read my query...I already HAVE a remote horn button that the previous owner installed on the side of the steering column.

I am trying to get the original horn buttons on the steering wheel to operate, but the contact that goes from the turn signal switch to the slip ring is broken.

This part seems to be un available.....

Although you have provided some useful information by posting the info that your 1986 1 ton dually had the same problem..

Does ANYONE know what years & vehicles had this "lever" type contact...NOT THE COIL SPRING & BRUSH TYPE...

This information will widen my search & help me find the part that I am looking for....ANY DEALER TECHS ON HERE?

Thanks for reading this & for any information that you can provide.................Donnie

1. Assuming a condescending stance with members of this forum can almost guarantee a future of no responses to your questions.

2. There are only a handful of members who own 1970's era motorhomes. (I'm one of them)

3. Your question makes no sense to me. My chassis (1978) has a very simple horn arrangement. There is nothing tied into the light switch or turn signal.

4. Remove the two screws holding the steering/horn cover and remove the top section. You will have 2 wires feeding through the steering shaft. Green with a black stripe. One goes to each horn button. The buttons are attached to flat spring plates that when pushed down contact another plate which in turn is grounded to the steel core of the steering wheel. This completes the ground, making the horn work.

5. Clean all the metal contact points and pay special attention to the two screws that hold the top to the steering wheel. They have to be tight or you won't make the necessary contact.

The system is really pretty simple.

3. Your question makes no sense to me. My chassis (1978) has a very simple horn arrangement. There is nothing tied into the light switch or turn signal.

Excuse me Fred.........I will overlook your CONDESCENDING attitude...How do you think the steering wheel is able to rotate & the ground wire is able to complete the circuit, if there is no connection with the wire coming up the column? The horn ground wire terminates at the turn signal switch & a small spring contact contacts the slip ring on the UNDERSIDE of the steering wheel..PLEASE READ THIS CAREFULLY or see MY ORIGINAL post..

Every thing you are saying above the steering wheel is correct...I will give you credit for that.

BUT, you need to go BENEATH the steering wheel to see what I am looking for..most manufactures call it a "horn brush"..in this truck it is a "leaf" spring

It is obvious to me that you have never pulled a steering wheel of of any automobile, truck or car or you would understand what I am talking about.

Perhaps you do not wish to pull your steering wheel to qualify this, so if you take a small penlight & look between your steering wheel & the plastic column cover on the right side, that would be the passenger side, there is a small gap about 1/8" between the steering wheel & the plastic column cover....

If you look in there you should be able to see the connection that I am speaking of..

I DON'T KNOW HOW TO MAKE THIS ANY EASIER TO UNDERSTAND>>> I'm sure that you don't think that the ground wire rotates with the steering wheel as it rotates , do you?......my friend sitting here beside me thinks that I should just delete this & not bother, but I think that my post may educate you or any others that do not understand how the contact gets from the wire harness to the rotating wheel....Please re-read & WONDER???

thanks for trying, Donnie.

You weren't that specific in your original post.

I now know what you were looking for.

When members try to help you, instead of jumping all over them, try to be a bit more specific.

Your attitude definitely needs some work.

The part I think you need is called the "horn lead spring seat". Rock Auto used to carry. Haven't checked lately.

Hey John, good to see you didn't leave the forum when you left your toyhome!

Yes, I am. Back in Moab right now for another couple nights, then on to New Mexico. Been in Utah basically for my whole trip so far. All of April. Time to move on. But I have a lot of friends here so it's been nice.

Donnie:

I can't visualize what you're talking about (and don't feel like pulling the steering wheel on my 78 for someone with so much impatience), but I know in my 83, the actual horn buttons had a common problem of wearing down through the years, so you just needed to stack a washer or two in there to make them stick out enough to contact the..."contact" again. Not sure if the same trick would work here if you can't find the actual part?

Miscommunication happens all the time, and even more so on the internet. To treat people as though they are dumb, can't read well, or just have general impatience when people don't get what you're after right away is a bad way to reach out for help. These things take a lot of articulation on your part, and imagination on our part to visualize, especially when you aren't willing to take the time to post a simple photo and take all the guess work out of it.

Good luck with your search.

No Derek, you didn't seem to be having a bad day. Was just the fastest way I could think of to make a point :)

Donnie has been battling this problem for a while and I guess it's getting to him. I originally sent him some links to a Toyota site I thought might have some of the parts he needs. Guess not and I can see it might be a pain to not have standard buttons for this kind of thing. Please remind us what and where and show some diagrams. I know I found it before but I can't seem to remember where. What tools are required to get it out. How hard is it. List every part with details. Never know. I look at a lot of junk. I just might find one

Linda S

If it only requires steering wheel removal, then just a socket wrench, is my guess. My 83 was just one large nut in the center of the wheel. Probably somewhere between 14-16mm.

Maybe a screwdriver, too.

Best way to get the wheel off is to unscrew the bolt almost all the way, but leave it on a few threads. Then yank the steering wheel towards you. When it breaks free it'll come at you fast, which is why you left the bolt on a couple threads. It'll hit the bolt and stop instead of hitting you in the face...

If this is similar to the contacts I'm thinking of in my 83, all the ones you find used are going to be in the same shape, needing the same fix. Which in my 83 was just a matter of building up a little height so the two parts make contact again.

Although now that I think about it, the horn in my 78 works fine, so you may actually have some luck with used ones...

I haven't yet seen a picture of the sliding contact that's being sought, but maybe it would be possible to fabricate one? Spring steel? Copper? Brass?

Yes to leaving a few threads engaged on the fastener when removing a steering wheel unless you want an excuse to visit the orthodontist. In my experience, it's a nut holding the wheel and the wheel fits on a splined shaft. Before fully tightening the nut (when replacing), check to make the steering wheel is properly aligned with the wheels.

Hello all, I think that I need to apologize to everyone that I annoyed in my previous posts concerning the horn contact...I'm sorry for the way I came across to some of you....YES, I should have sent a picture, and yes I need to realize that everyone is not in the auto service field.

I have been in the service industry most of my adult life & sometime I just forget that others are not....please forgive me.

I have also been corrected for the way I address others on the transmission forums, where I spend most of my computer time...

I am now retired from 25 years in my own shop, building transmissions & torque converters & try to help as many others as I can, but then too, I am helping others that are having problems with their units.& most of the questions are submitted by other techs.

Asking for help is rather new to me & I'll admit---I have never been accused of being tactful;...:-) thanks for allowing me to explain myself.

And YES Derek, I am going to fabricate one myself using spring steel from an old clock..

I should have done this in the first place.....again I'm sorry & would still like to be welcome on this board......Donnie

Hi Donnie, I don't think anyone around here will hold anything against you. We welcome your expertise in trannies.