http://www.gotpropane.com/p4.html

I gave it some thought when i saw the last diesel conversion

Well for literally a fraction of that cost you can get gas mileage equivalent to 40 mpg or more depending o what propane goes for in your area.

This is something from the 4x4 forum but i seriously think it makes more sense for a toyhome.

In mexico the main taxi fleets use nissan sentras with propane conversion kits and basically run them 24 7

Propane is a actually in a shortage at the moment

Here on the west coast its normally under 2 a gallon. Actually 150 around portland

The best kit on that page is the 22r dual fuel kit

Now for a strAight conversion you can make your own for much cheaper

Propane conversion is actually common in older class c motorhomes not suprisingly

I wonder if someone with a toyhome will try it out

E-bay has propane conversion kits in the $800 range, sure would have to drive a bunch to break even on costs.

In portland its under 2dollars but in cali sometimes i see three.

But thats just a high retail price if you have a propane car you buy it from the people selling it to homez

Well if youre paying half as much you have twice thd miles per dollar. Its not actually any more per gallon . I dont think anyone else was confused but you.

No one else is confused derrick.

If your toyhome gets 15 mpg at 3.50

it gets the equivalent of 40 mpg at 1.25 a gallon

Its the cost.

Please stop posting for a few days you are wasting our time.

Miles per dollar.

Its actually how the epa rates electric and propane vehicles.

Buy it from amerigas or whoever sells it to homes.

more commonly seen in rural areas but probably within 10 miles of your house

Here i san josr i see gas stations charge 3 a gallon. Not at gas stations.

Recent prices for large propane deliveries in California. Mind you the supplier leased prices are always lower cause they are also making money on the tanks. Also I would expect large purchases to be cheaper. That all adds up to a small fuel tank size purchase in California to be more expensive or close to the same as gas

http://www.checkpropaneprices.com/?field_state_value_many_to_one=CA

Linda S

Hey i filled my tank for i believe 1.75 a gallon and thats at a gas station.

But if your area is expensive it might be. I doubt it. In an urban area they can fix the price

In humboldt its still below 2 dollars retail. Previous to the recent spike in price

That's quite a variation. From $2.34 to $4.31 on page 1. I guess you should find out where it's available for $1.25! :)

If you click on last page on that link it goes back to 2010. Prices are a little cheaper but none at a buck fifty or even close. I have purchased propane at Amerigas before and it wasn't any cheaper than the gas station next to my house. A few cents difference at most. You can change the state on that link too. Oregon is only a little cheaper than Cal and some people there paid more.

Linda S

On that list in orego n i see many deliveries for 1.99 a gallon in wasbington county wherd i lived.e

But i know it cost 1.75 at full retail in 2013

It says some cost 5.91 too.

i dont think that list is any help or even useful.

Here in downtown san jose the price is 2.99 today at uhaul 50 c below regular gas up almost 1.50 this month

I wouldnt convert a car to propane unless its in the 2.00 range.

If you live i a place with no cheap propane i recomend against propane conversion.

Lol

Ya well the list shows basically a delivery a year. Its actually almost comPletely useless i wont waste more time on it.

I lived there i bought it for 1.75 meaning that list has no indicator of what it sells for

PIn eureka ca at uhaul it was 1.99 in december. Now its 2.99

overall i would suspect it to be 1.99 again in few months. But i dont care. Propane cOnversion is something for people with cheap propane. I recomend against conversion if propane is more expensive than gas.

But i strongly recomend against responding to dotn assinine and uneducated posts im actually done for this week

I have had lots of propane conversions, 1944 school bus (my first “motor home”), 1951 GMC 16' flatbed, 1972 Datsun pickup, 1970 Datsun 510 wagon, 1988 Toyota pickup w 22R.
All of them are straight, not dual fuel, and were optimized for the higher octane of propane. Every one of them got fewer miles per gallon, but ran better. The school bus fell from 12 to 10 MPG, GMC from 10 to 8, 72 Datsun from 25 to 18, Datsun 510 wagon from 35 to 10, I fought that thing for a year trying every trick in the book and finally put it back on gasoline, the 88 toyo pickup from 25 to 18. In the end when propane costs went up towards 2/3rds the cost of gas, and it was getting harder to find places that would pump propane into a motor vehicle (as fuel not for appliances) I gave it up. Back in the 70's & 80's it was a good deal, right now locally it is not. But it is possible to get more power due to the 110 octane rating you can boost compression, advance timing, cool the intake tract. Your oil will stay clean for 20,000 miles and the engine internal wear almost stops. But you have to find a place for cylindrical tanks (there are no rectangular ones) with at least 50% more gallon capacity (20% of the tank can not be filled with liquid propane). The tank in my pickup takes up 18” of my 72” bed, ¼ of the bed.

i can recal a lot of interest a few years ago even seeing quite a few propane rigs but i have not seen any in a while . kind of like the gas turbine and the wankel rotary eng both gone to the museum and the junk yard.

Last summer I paid $1.79/gal and it is now $6/gal here in Wisconsin. They claim that extreme demand is the reason. I think that greed is the reason. I can get delivery tomorrow if I wanted so they have the LP. They are just ripping the people off because they can. Some people are jumping from dealer to dealer to get a better price and they are told that they will have to wait 3 or 4 days for delivery and it will be cash only. I have bought LP from the same company for 25 years and can get it now.

Back when gasoline hit $4/gal a couple of years ago, the head of Mobil/Exxon made a really stupid statement to Congress and not one Congressman had the balls to call him on it. The statement (not an exact quote, but close) "Our profit margin has nothing to do with the high cost of gasoline."

When was the last time you went to a gasoline station that was out of fuel? Yet they claim a shortage of gas. Gas inventories are very high right now but you can bet that in another 30 days the price will go up because they claim another shortage because they are switching refineries over to summer blend gas . They do it every year. 3

Enough of my venting, sorry.

A couple of things combined to take all the fun out of propane, First the truck stops that alway used to have propane 24 hours a day for the refers in trucks started pulling their tanks so I would pull into my "known" place and there would be no propane, really bad on a weekend when propane distributors are closed. Second the Chinese & India were in a big buying mode and sucked up world suppies driving price up. You really have a hard time getting a regular service station to pump propane into a motor vehicle as it take another licence/ training to put it in cars VS cans or motorhome heating cooking tanks. After chasing around almost out of fuel looking for someplace that would fill my truck for an increasingly expensive fuel for a few years, I gave it up. But from 1972 to about 2000, propane was the way to go.

Propane price is very volatile.

But my entire life it has been way below gas everywhere ive lived

At todays price here in san jose which is horrible do to a spike at 2.99 a gallon full retail vs 3.49 a gallon full retail for gasoline

A propane conversion get better miles per dollar than any diesel conversion for a small fraction of the investment.

On the other hand dual fuel would be way wiser obviously.

Propane from industrial sources is dirt cheap but I cant connect you to them.

It was very popular in the 90s I had a friend who did it to his econoline camper van when propane in our area was more like half the price of gas.

If its always more expensive in your area I wouldnt do it lol. They can price fix propane because its not a motor fuel.

Meaning they can let it never go down.

I would not want a propane only motorhome because I would not want the possibility of running out and carrying a tank. Dual fuel on the other hand sounds dreamy as our gas tanks are too small anyway.

i can recal a lot of interest a few years ago even seeing quite a few propane rigs but i have not seen any in a while . kind of like the gas turbine and the wankel rotary eng both gone to the museum and the junk yard.

Mazda still makes rotary rx7

rotary is always the wAy to go for e gine size vs power. But thats just not what thd consumer wants