Dinner Set

MontanaChinook

What do people here use for plates & bowls? I wanted to get melamine dishes, but the only ones I've found that don't have designs on them or are bad colors or shapes, are out of stock. Amazon has exactly what I want in a bamboo melamine set, but it's been out of stock in all colors for months.

So maybe I should look at different materials..? I hate the enameled metal that gets so hot you can't hold it. But I'm afraid that's the direction I might need to go.

I just noticed those a little after I posted. I avoid walmart like the plague, is why I hadn't looked at them before :)

I was hoping for square not round, since I'm not sure the round ones will fit in my cupboards, but if I can only get round, that'll work and I'll just store them somewhere else.

I was hoping for these: http://www.amazon.com/GHP-Melamine-Rounded-12-Piece-Natural/dp/B00EO0DV3K/ref=sr_1_38?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1388712939&sr=1-38

Or if this was a solid color:http://www.amazon.com/Brown-Hibiscus-Melamine-Dinnerware-Pieces/dp/B00CNIKTBC/ref=sr_1_100?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1388712989&sr=1-100

Thanks!

I guess I'll wait another month or so to see if the out of stock ones come in. If not, those Coleman plates will do!

PAPER plates (cheap ones) and these http://www.amazon.com/Plastic-Paper-Holders-Maryland-Plastics/dp/B0044U571E

Reason you have limited water cheap plates are biodegradeable or burn able. Use your water for more important things.

WME i like to use those plastic paper plate support trays . or i take my round blue metal plate and put a paper plate on top. makes for way easer clean up. you can use same plate again with out washing.

It's a reasonable idea, but we'll see.

If I were just camping, I might not mind. But if I live out of my camper for any period, I'll want real plates. What if I have a date?? :)

I'll be doing dishes either way, to clean pots & pans, and I'm sure I'll learn how to do them with the least amount of water possible.

You make a good point...

But as I'm getting the thing nicer and nicer, can you imagine some nice woman stepping into it for the first time and seeing how nice it is? Then some good food on respectable dinnerware?

It's all about exceeding expectations :)

Well if you really want it to look nice try looking at Corelle. It's real dinnerware but extremely durable. Pretty light too so won't weigh down your cabinets. Just stack it with some thin self liner between the plates to keep it from making too much noise clinking together when your driving. Some nice square sets too. How do you feel about Target

http://www.target.com/bp/corelle#navigation=true&minPrice=from&maxPrice=to&facetedValue=/-/N-5xrj9&isDbp=true

Linda S

Zach, I too avoid wallmart, I live near a small town that supported me for many years so I try to buy local as much as possible, or if not local, USED items of quality. Melmac - etc....Is pricey in some areas of the country as the 50's collectable crowd is grabbing it up...

But if you search Ebay for Boontonware or Melmac, there are some pretty nice sets up for grabs.

You may also check swap meets & 2nd hand stores for a nice used set...I have a NICE set of Boontonware, made in the U.S.A. in the 1950's that I just love.. It is actually VERY close in color to the blue stripes on my new paint job.... happy hunting...Donnie :-)

Zach: I found the square-type melmac dishes in white at the local Dollar Store (I think that the large plates were $1 each and the smaller ones and bowls 2/$1 ) and round white melmac at KMart. KMart seems to have a more reliable stock. None of the melmac dishes are microwave safe, if you use a microwave. I like Corelle, but the caution is that if you drop it, it does not break---it shatters into billions of pieces that seem to go everywhere and it takes (what seems like) weeks to clean up. I will drink morning coffee out of anything, but I enjoy it most in glass or china cups (fussy, huh?) so I've looked long and hard to no avail for light-weight stackable cups (to save space)---always something. Sue

Thanks. Definitely looking at melamine because of its strength. I don't want shattered pieces.

I will be bringing a couple pint glasses with me. They're what I've gotten used to drinking tea out of, and metal or plastic doesn't do it for me when it comes to beverages, hot or cold. I have ideas for how to store them (use a circular cut-out bit on my drill and cut holes in a board big enough to let the pint glasses in about half way, then maybe some kind of fabric for cushion), and I'm pretty careful, so I'm not worried about them breaking.

Well, no huge rush right now so keep the ideas coming and hopefully I'll have it figured out by the end of next month!

You think Montana will be thawed out sufficiently to go anywhere the end of February? That's a good idea about cutting your own cup holders. s

I agree, you want to set a classy table! I really like nice dishes too, and I've been wondering if Corelle ware is tough enough. It is quite elegant.

My Corelle was intact and perfect for 10 years. After that they did start to break but as I understand it repeated heating and washing in an automatic dishwasher is the culpret. The repeated baking on the dry cycle interferes with the tempering in the dishes.

Linda S

Just word of caution about buying " melmac " made in china...I don't think that there is much in common with the chinese melmac & the dinner ware that was produced in the U.S.A. .........AS I recall a couple of years ago they were adding it to dog food as a protein supplement, & it was responsible for a lot of dog's getting sick or passing away.

American Cyanamid developed this product, & although they did have problems, I don't think their dinner ware was one of them.

I believe their medical research had something to do with the polio vaccine & some antibiotics... not sure of this ( memory)???

Their downfall was their pollution problems & they finally came apart as we got more aware of our enviroment..

Russell Wright designed a beautiful line of melmac dinnerware.........hard to find, but I can sell every piece of it that I can find......

somewhere between Deco & Modern'.......even odd pieces sell, to find a set..............bliss, just my 2 cent opinion......Donnie

• 2 weeks later...

My "12 piece" dinner set showed up yesterday...More like a lifetime supply! I'm finding out what went wrong right now...

:)

You can't even see all of them. It's a huge box, and they're just stacked on top of each other in there. Probably 100 pieces..

post-6535-0-08299400-1389797626_thumb.jp

:)

I had to get the set for four people. I've already had that many for a dinner in the Chinook. That's the capacity for sitting at the table, so I figured a dinner set for four is perfect. Candles are a good idea though! And probably a string of small LED lights.

Now...I am only sort of serious about this...

But of course the thought is in my mind that having a decent set of dishes that sort of thing, just in case, isn't a bad idea. The Chinook gets a lot of attention!

Yeah what's that? :)

I guess I qualify as a bachelor, but I cook (a lot), eat off plates, do the dishes. Keep my house clean, do laundry. I'm not incomplete without a female around the house. Doesn't mean I'm opposed to having one around... :) But I do just fine.

Aaaannyway...

12 "piece" or 12 "place" there is a bit of a difference ya know.

Better check the invoice and see what quantity they have you down for :omg:

I did everything right, it looks like. The only mistake was the shipping.

They were back ordered for months. I'm assuming that the entire back order was sent directly to me, rather than split up amongst everyone on the waiting list...

They sent me a return shipping label to send the rest back. I took out what I ordered.