Favorite Creature Comforts

Debbit

When we bought our dolphin, we didn't know what worked and what didn't.

What we found was:

Electric wiring was ok

Water pump worked, but needed to be manually shut off

Shower worked but leaked

Plumbing had many leaks

Toilet leaked

Air conditioner works

Stove and oven work

Furnace worked, but fan squealed

Refrigerator lit and ran but didn't cool

Water heater works

Grey/black water leaked

There were seams and windows that needed to be sealed, and some leaking and rot in the upper corner of cab over bunk. This is fixed, ceiling is painted walls re-papered or painted both to cover stains and to spiff up the interior.

We are lucky in that the mechanical condition of the truck is very good.

When I look at campers for sale, especially old ones, I wonder what needs work!

So I was thinking about what I like best about the things that work.

I don't really mind not having a furnace, because we don't often plug in and I don't want to use that much electricity. I like the mr buddy as a heater.

I love running water, and running HOT water, so I'm happy the leaks are all fixed and we have a new water pump and bathroom faucet.

I know I will appreciate the AC in the summer, although we seldom will plug in. Maybe a generator will be in our future, but I doubt it.

I don't mind that we replaced the toilet with a porta potty. More room and no worry about black water

Like the cabinet space and closet...oh and the little private bathroom.

I'll be glad when we have a waste water tank again, but the portable one works for now

Looking forward to having a fridge too.

Really, I like it all, i guess

I used my Toy as a portable Hotel room. 99% of the time it was dry camping in 95+ deg weather. So for me the important stuff,
1. HOT water
2. A/C- generator
Although the time I got a bad weather report and ended up camping in -20 degs then the heater assumed renewed importance

hot water.. a must

furnace.. a must

toilet, shower, sink, tanks...must

awning.. a must

cab air and heat.. a must

overdrive bypass cancel switch... a must

now needing to up grade overcab mattress...been sleeping on stock surface, but these old bones will appreciate something a little softer.

we do most of our camping in the high desert so AC not so nec. Now that we have the battery bank we will experiment with different evaporative cooling strategies...last summer we just parked under a tree next to a creek..but it was still HOT!

Having a soft bed and a roof that doesn't leak is about my only requirement. Having a working furnace is nice but not a necessity. I have never even hauled water in the tanks so I know I can do without the plumbing.

The truck has got to be reliable no matter what it is carrying.

I did all of my travelling on a motorcycle before I met the woman of my dreams and convinced her that she wanted to marry me. Compared to that, having my RV is like having a palace.

I will be the proud owner of a 1985 Dolphin rear bench seat/bed RV come Feb. It has a full RVc cover and I got to drive it and fill it up in Stockton,Calif. $34! Does it have a 12 gallon tank? I am a tent camper but realize with wife and 3 kids this might be easier and fun! I have no idea (nor did the owner as she never did use it, was a dream not come true) how any of the systems work and all the manuals just confuse me so I'm looking at you tube videos. Anyone have ideas? It has only 43,000 miles, a 5 speed and in good shape. I did see that it has the upgraded 1 ton rear with big axle hub between wheels, I knew that much. Bought it for $6,500 and researched for 6 months looking at Calif. Craigslist till I found this one. Low mileage is hard to find. We are traveling all over Calif.,Or, Wa and Idaho this coming summer so I have the spring to get her ready. Any tips on how figure it all out, to avoid problems or make RV life easier with this baby would be appreciated.

Thanks, Tom

Welcome Sailfritz. Look around this site for anything you need to know. The people on here are very knowledgeable and always ready to help. Without this site, I would have made a terrible choice and purchased something that would have been a money pit. I have been able to complete all of my own upgrades and repairs with the help of everyone here.

Your gas tank is 17 gallons. They just hit empty at 12 or 13. Big reserve. Unless they switched gas tanks at some time. Yours has other upgrades that did not come with it. No 5 speed on the 85 cab and chassis which your rig is built on. You say Feb. Did you not pick it up yet? I don't remember seeing this one on craigslist. I keep a pretty close eye on whats available near me. 6500 is top dollar for the year so I hope all your appliances work. What were you able to check.

Linda S

I did all of my travelling on a motorcycle before I met the woman of my dreams and convinced her that she wanted to marry me. Compared to that, having my RV is like having a palace.

Upon completion of a 5000 mile MC trip, and camping in a tent all the way, I bought my toyohome three days later. It sure is nice to eat, sleep and pee anytime you want!

Welcome Sailfritz. Look around this site for anything you need to know. The people on here are very knowledgeable and always ready to help. Without this site, I would have made a terrible choice and purchased something that would have been a money pit. I have been able to complete all of my own upgrades and repairs with the help of everyone here.

Thanks Bob, I have been feasting on all the topics in the forums, so much great info and links to find fans and other parts for all problems, fantastic resource as you guys have learned through the hardships so we newbees can do it right! THANKS!

Two new favorite creature comforts: First, the Bose SoundLink Mini. You won't believe how much sound that little speaker can crank out for 8 hours. I use it in the cabin, but also when I'm outside next to my second recent creature comfort, the Little Red Campfire.

http://amzn.com/B00D5Q75RC

http://amzn.com/B000O51VJ0