Lp Propane Detector Location?

kayakthecoast

My 87 Sunrader didnt come with a LPG detecter? or last owner yanked it out? I plan on adding one - where do you all have yours? low to the floor, and not near a furnace vent? any suggestions for ease of tapping into the wiring? I just put in a smoke detector too!

sounds about right i don't have that either. the 1970s 80s not two much of those safety things. i have a new smoke alarm and you for sure need a CARBON MONOXIDE DETECTOR i just bought a walmart house one battery type rv units are costly i am on retirement. of course no rv made now would be without these things. but 30years ago was not the case.

Propane is heaver that air close to the floor as possible. I don't think I would put it in an area that had a lot of air flow it would kind of defeat the purpose. You'll need to find a 12 volt source that is hot all the time (no switch) They will kill a battery if left on for a long time like over the winter so just some thing to think about.

Both of my Sunradesr are the same size and floor plan as yours. The LP detector is near the floor, mounted on the bench seat wall between the under sink cabinet and the inside water pump access door behind it. The wires for it should still be there inside somewhere. You probably have to remove the bench seat top to get to them. Just some screws not too difficult.

Linda S

I think some of those gas detectors are date coded as to when they don't work very well after that date so check that out. I might also note that when we had our 4x4 sunrader it was located below one of the bench seats and once in awhile a stray foot would put it in test mode. Ours was original (1986) and seemed to work but not sure. I think it went off once in a while from dog farts. The one I have in our present rig is date coded.

• 3 weeks later...

Got the propane detector installed. Just got back from a road trip, it got bumped by accident several times by heel of my sons foot, when seated at the table, he has never been a sloucher!! I may end up moving it away from under the table. Or maybe he will become self aware of it or I'll force him to slouch! Secretly I think he purposefully heel kicked a few times to get a reaction out of me. We shall give it a trial where it is for now - on the panel closest to the sink but under the table.