Another new member intro...Hi!

TJ88T4R

hi all!

first, thank you to everyone who's contributed to this site so there's actually a good resource for newbies like myself.

I've had an 88 4Runner for about 6 yrs now, and have rebuilt/replaced just about everything in that time. It's my daily driver and my rolling tent when I go up to N. GA mtns.

But I recently became unemployed, and I'm considering buying an RV to stay in when my lease ends. I plan it to be only a temporary housing solution until I'm fully employed again. Just me, no kids or pets.

I love 80's 'Yotas, so I'm considering one of the 22RE powered models. Wow, I had no idea there were so many variations! I cannot make up my mind which floorplan I like best. I also have stood in only ONE so far. But I'm < 6'0" so I think I'll fit ok, and I'm used to livin' with the minimum basic needs as I'm already in "severe cash conserve mode".

So I'll be reading here a LOT, I need to get educated fast if I plan to get a good one and not dump cash into it fixing surprise issues.

I'm pretty nervous...my concerns are:

- which floorplan? I think I've seen 6 different already. What are the pros/cons to each?

- how much is too much? Prices range from $3k to $15k.

- why Toyota class C and not some other mfg. class C, or an older class A?

I'm obviously concerned with getting a good value, because I'll be spending the remainder of my savings (yes, funds are dwindling!) to buy one. Basically "paying up to a year's rent in advance" and betting on a little 25 yr old 'Yota to be my temporary housing for 6-12 mos.

I think $6k would buy a good rig, but I don't want to get stuck with one that looks great with hidden issues because it was well-detailed to "flip" and hasn't been on the road in ages. I am pretty smart about buying used cars, but I don't know much about RV systems (now - but I'll have to change this!)

I welcome any and all feedback from fellow forum members, including links you think are 'must reads'. I've already read the available pdf on the rear axle, and I'm also very familiar with 'Yota 6-lug axles. In fact, ideally I'd like to put a solid front axle and dual t-case in the 4Runner, and swap all of the IFS 4wd gear to an RV. Of course that's a dream for waaaay in the future after I'm gainfully employed again!

Thanks in advance for any opinions and/or advice. Happy camping!

-T.J.

Edited by TJ88T4R

Welcome TJ

I would look at floor plans that make you feel comfortable and gives you the most living space

some toy-homes theirs not a lot of wiggle room

I like having kitchen in the rear especially if your cooking in rv

you also might look at Toy-homes that have remodels done (the right way)

best thing is to go out and look at as many as you can bring a friend to help

right now is a great time to buy since its off season for most.

good luck steve

If your going to live in it bigger is better, as in a 19ft vs 21ft. The driving force behind the Toyota RVs is the MPG. If your not going to be driving a lot, a USA built MH in the 24-28 ft range can be had for Toyota prices.

Where are you going to park your RV house ? RV parks cost $$$, have you factored in that and storage of all your household stuff.

Full timing in a small RV can be done. But it requires thought and a large dose of reality. Heating and cooling are harder in an RV than a house. Factor in utilities in your planning

thank you both (so far) -

I'm planning to view an Escaper Sunday that is rear U-bench seating layout, and very clean with lots of listed repairs. That list does come with a moderately high price tag.

I'm not afraid of custom building an interior myself on a cheaper one though. But obviously I'd like to find a cream puff that's been cared for. I'm now considering the "investment" of flying to California for something that's lived an easy life, and bringing it back to GA.

For the last 3 years I've been in this little apartment, I've NEVER used the oven/stove. I use a little microwave and a very nice toaster oven. I'm hoping to continue using these two appliances. I'm ok with a small fridge, and I've read here it's critical to ensure the propane style is functioning correctly - and level (always??).

I haven't had cable or internet wired in over a year. (my cellphone provides wifi for my laptop.)

All my furniture will go yard sale or good will. Nothing I have is worth keeping, short of clothes and some personal items. My bed is only a memory foam slab on the floor, which I will probably cut down to size and put in any RV I go with.

A friend has already offered her back yard to park in. I would probably buy a portable canopy to put over the whole rig and put the frame on jack stands for most of its idle time. I'm not sure how I'd handle black water yet, maybe visit a campground once a month? Or maybe I can access her main waste line in the crawlspace...which sounds crazy but I'm not familiar with "backyard docking" options yet.

The only appliances I'll really miss are washer/dryer, but my friend will certainly let me do my average 2 loads per month.

I am concerned with the trade of space vs. fuel efficiency, for the money I spend. It seems I could get a pretty big Class A gas guzzler for the same price as a nice little - Toyhome. But I KNOW 'Yotas well, so I do prefer one over some US van chassis. I don't know jack about Class A's, never even been in one, ha! But I do want to be able to travel with it, so I'm not really keen on bigger vehicles that will cost a lot to fuel. This is something I've been undecided on for a while.

Also unsure, $6k for a good one now --- or $3k for one needing love, plus $3k expected investment to bring it to my needs? I don't need another money pit. My 4Runner has already taken a significant cash infusion to maintain its daily-driver status.

I've been reading for hours today, and I'll keep at it. Thank you again for additional input from experienced Toy-homeowners!

Just one thought - most toys have small holding tanks - I would plan on more than once a month dumping - if your friend has a sewer cleanout that you can get to (with your camper or a dump wagon) then you are in business.

if you are unemployed, have you ever considered work kamping?

If you're living in a backyard here are a few things you should consider.

You don't need to go to a campground to dump your black water. Actually some campgrounds don't even have a place for your black water just gray water. You can find a dumping station in most towns, that are just specific for dumping. I had figured this out thinking I would camp somewhere to dump the water. Ends up I couldn't dump there anyway. It happened more than once.

Depending how cold, you'll need to prepare your RV for it. If it's cold, you'll need to think about dealing with freezing of your water either in the pipes or in your tanks. You might need to do some winterizing and you can read about full timers who use the RV during the winter. They usually dump windex or RV antifreeze into the toilet after use to prevent freezing. They might also use RV antifreeze in the pipes and go with bottled water source. I dunno guess you can test a few things once you get the RV.

Also if you plug it in, it'll solve a lot of your problems and make your life more convenient. If your in a backyard just run a line in. If you plan to shower or stove and all that then you probably will have to take the RV out to use for the hot water heater, etc. Mine use propane not sure if they have electric versions. But once you get electricity, running toaster and microwave will be simple.

My two cents is Toyotas get good gas mileage if you do plan to drive it around and it has good resale value if you plan to resell it after you get yourself settled down. Getting a large RV might actually be way cheaper in some ways but.. I see 5th wheelers and Dodges, a dime a dozen.. not sure how well they sell....

If you're living in a backyard here are a few things you should consider.

You don't need to go to a campground to dump your black water. Actually some campgrounds don't even have a place for your black water just gray water. You can find a dumping station in most towns, that are just specific for dumping. I had figured this out thinking I would camp somewhere to dump the water. Ends up I couldn't dump there anyway. It happened more than once.

Depending how cold, you'll need to prepare your RV for it. If it's cold, you'll need to think about dealing with freezing of your water either in the pipes or in your tanks. You might need to do some winterizing and you can read about full timers who use the RV during the winter. They usually dump windex or RV antifreeze into the toilet after use to prevent freezing. They might also use RV antifreeze in the pipes and go with bottled water source. I dunno guess you can test a few things once you get the RV.

Also if you plug it in, it'll solve a lot of your problems and make your life more convenient. If your in a backyard just run a line in. If you plan to shower or stove and all that then you probably will have to take the RV out to use for the hot water heater, etc. Mine use propane not sure if they have electric versions. But once you get electricity, running toaster and microwave will be simple.

My two cents is Toyotas get good gas mileage if you do plan to drive it around and it has good resale value if you plan to resell it after you get yourself settled down. Getting a large RV might actually be way cheaper in some ways but.. I see 5th wheelers and Dodges, a dime a dozen.. not sure how well they sell....

THIS is great info and perspective. Thank you!

Actually, I'm pretty sure I can access the cleanout, and it's pretty close to where I'd be allowed to park. I'd have to figure out how to pump it in there. I assume there's equipment for this in the RV marketplace. I'll look into it. It may be worth the service fee for a portable toilet co. to come service it. There's plenty of those in this area.

Here in metro ATL it will get into mid 20's at night, like it's supposed to tonight in fact, but only a couple nights at at time usually; not months below freezing. I wonder how much winterizing it will need. I think of winterizing as prepping for long term cold storage out of use. If I'm going to stay in it through the winter, how much of a pain will it be to maintain functionality.

Being I need temporary housing, it may be a much smarter choice to get a 28' trailer like suggested. Then trade that for a Toyota when I no longer need it as a home. I just don't know yet what I'll do. But I have 'til March to figure it out. ugh.

Work kamping? That I have not heard of, but I see it has a wikipage, haha, so I guess I'll be reading up on that. Thank you for that suggestion too. Y'never know what bit of advice is going to trigger the light bulb over your head and light a path in a new direction.

The rig I went to see was an ok one; had a good amount of repairs to it already; but no modern RV upgrades yet, like the other one I've seen here for sale in the same price range. But a good learning experience, as it's the 2nd one I've actually stepped into.

I'll keep reading.

I've been full timing for over a year now. It does take a major adjustment in lifestyle. The following suggestions are offered:

As WME stated, RV parks cost money. I'm located in Raleigh NC. I found a gated and secure storage area that allows me to dock my MH for $100.00 per month. This includes a 120 volt plug in. I rented a 5x10 storage unit for $60.00 per month (same complex) to store personal items that would take up too much space in the MH. Total cost: $160.00 per month. I also use a small electric heater to conserve propane. A warning note. Many of these facilities also rent to bands for practice space. You do not want to be near a practicing band if you like your sleep.

As my MH has no toilet facilities, I purchased a Planet Fitness membership for $20.00 per month. You can get for $10.00 per month but it limits you to your home club and no others. I do my workout, shower etc. there.

Fast food expense can add up fast. Try to cook or prepare as much as possible in your MH.

I found an area that has all the services I need within 1 mile of my dock. (Groceries, gas etc).

It's a change in lifestyle, but after an adjustment period I really enjoy it.

As my electric is included in my rent, I can run my AC, coffee pot, hotplate and space heater as much as I want. I only use propane now when I travel.

i had a pretty cushy scene in beaverton for about a year just parking next to the 24 hour fitnessbut thats done, now im trying to adapt to san jose where parking in general is much more congested

as far as floorplans well the different floorplans were popular at different years.

so you dont really have too much of a choice i wouldnt worry about that. worry about getting a good deal.

the newer your toyhome is the more likely it is to have that rear bath and the older it is the more likely it is to have the rear like c dining with the big rear window.

I much prefer the rear dining. I hate rear bathroom actually. mostly because i never use the bathroom its just storage and waste to me. but getting a newer one is way better.

also almost all 22res are automatic. you dont have a choice.

even though you can call it many type of layouts they are really broken down into two is the cab door in the middle or is it in the back?

from there they can arrange the interior differently but the sleeping area is always away from the door. door in the back sleep in the middle. door in the middle sleep in the back.

over the years they all became door in the back sleep in the middle.

bathroom whereever you dont sleep. so in the back, or in the middle.

there are certain advantages either way. the bathroom in the middle small is super nice except for one thing the drivers seat cant recline.

I like 85 through 89 the best. not necessarily because mine is an 85 but before i had this i had a 79 and dont want to go back.

85 is the first year of the 22re in motorhomes. theoretically can be 84 but i dont think there are any. nice to make the speed limit.

85 is the first year dolphins came with firestone airbags, so the back doesnt scrape the ground over bumps. other makes maybe different years. after 89 they are all v6s.

even though i prefer the 4 cyl id trade for a newer one any day. trade my 21 foot dolphin for a 22 foot oddyssey or what a 21 foot v6 dolphin.