Cold weather camping

Tressa

Living and sleeping in a small rv can be challenging in cold weather.

If you have ever woke up in the middle of the night with your hips frozen, your body shivering and your teeth chattering,

You know you are living in an uninsulated, very unpleasant environment.

I didn't know what to do. So first I bought a sleeping pad for sleeping on the ground. I put that under the mattress but still woke up shivering, with my hips frozen and my teeth chattering. I then went out and bought a very warm arctic sleeping bag. To heck with blankets! Okay I do have one of those thick lap throws that I use when the sleeping bag is too hot.

Well the sleeping bag and the camping pad worked some but when it is 35 degrees out side it seems that the cab underneath your mattress is like a refrigerator and you end up in the freezer.

There had to be a better way! I took a 4 x 8 styrofoam piece of insulation and put that under my mattress and it is the difference between sleeping in heaven and sleeping in the other place.

The other thing I did was make a 2 piece sliding wall for the bedroom area. Once I enclosed the cabover I put a little space heater in there on a small shelf, turn that puppy on for a few minutes let it heat up and I am sleeping in luxury!

Dream on!

Tressa

I too have a small camper (16') and there's no way I could fit in much less sleep over the cab area. Do you have a regular futon style sofa/bed in the main coach? Seems to me it would make for a more comfy sleep.

Does your unit have a gas furnace? I think I would use that first before locking myself away in a cubby with an electric heat generating appliance.

Hmmm putting foam insulation on the wall isn't such a bad idea. I am going to have to try it next weekend. I am tired of being cold. I am willing to try anything. and winter here hasn't really started.

Dan, are you talking about having the car running and the heater on in front of cab because my car heater works great when I am driving. it is when we are parked that she gets cold. When I replaced the wood over the cab area there is no, I repeat, no insulation in there. It is made out of Fiber glass only.

Fred, I have a 21 foot toyota New horizon. the cabover fits a twin matress. it is comfortable for one. the couch is extremely uncomfortable. it needs new foam!I dont even sit on it because the butt becomes sore because it is so hard. I bought a twin foam matress from Ikea. It is sort of hard with a secondary foam mattress to make it softer. if that makes sense. it is very light weight and very comfortable.

Also I am full timing and I like to have seprate rooms. I have a kitchen, a living room, and a bedroom. I have an acordian door between the kitchen and living room, when I shut that door turn on the electric heater, I stay warm. Same with bedroom area.

I don't fall asleep with my electic heater on. I just turn it on to warm up the area, crawl under my artic sleeping. bag and i am toasty!

Yes the furnace works but uses alot of propane if I am boondocking I use it.but when in civilization/ie rv park I have electric heater.

here is what my sliding bedroom wall and accordian door look like

post-4165-12831318713244_thumb.jpg
post-4165-12831331882516_thumb.jpg

If I bought a bigger heater then I would worry about the extra weight! And then the question becomes where do I put it to leave it run all day. Not much space in my little guy to store it. No, I think I will stay with the little space heater and use my artic sleeping bag for now. I don't run it all night because it drys out my nose.

Putting foam under the mattress cut the cold by at least 90%!!! The difference is amazing.

I will be putting foam up on the walls soon! I think it will make a difference there too.

I just purchased a Mr. Heater Big Buddy. Huge? Yes. But it's 99% efficient and cranks out 18,000 BTUs. I'm going to haul an extra 20lb propane tank on the back of my Dolphin exclusively for this reason. Hoping that will keep me toasty warm on long ski weekends.

Here is my complete package:

http://www.amazon.com/Mr-Heater-MH18B-Portable-Propane/dp/B0002WRHE8

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000UC7966/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005DGG1SG/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

What youre doing doesnt make any sense,an uninsulated rv is not meant to be used as a dwelling in a winter climate.Just saying youre going to put foam on the walls? How? Adhesive ? Fasteners? You'll kill any resale value as you ruin the interior finish.Rigid foam panels used in construction are generally flammable,and the smoke produced is toxic .building codes require a flame resistant covering such as sheetrock.I would use a larger electric heater .set on the cooktop ,the weight is not a factor.Get a heater with a tip switch built in for safety,use smoke and CO detectors,whats your life worth?I could be a cheerleader and encourage you,but I dont believe in what you are doing...however Im not in your shoes....good luck ....Bill

I've been looking at the Mr. Buddy model for my 18'. What size are you heating with the Big Buddy?

i was about to spend a minute explaining to this person that if you were to be an rver for a month youd save 500-1000 in rent just for that month.

I guess even two weeks 250-500...

that will cover sealing up some staples on the fake wood finish of your 30 year old motor home.

You can probably hire KISS to do it for you. In make up.

What about a year?

Another toyhome. drive this one off the cliff, go get another overpriced one on ebay.

its retarded to try to save 50$ by spending 10 thousand.

Remember those heater are pretty safe as far as bi products but they use oxygen the bigger they are the more they use. Yes they have low oxygen sensors how well do you trust them sitting on the floor? Just about every one made says "not for sleeping areas" The RV heaters pull in combustion air from the outside the pipe is coaxial so one is exhaust the other pulls in air that's how they can be used for sleeping areas. I'm sure there are thousands out there in use just be careful and give it plenty of make up air. The MH18B requires 18 square inch's of vent area that's a fair sized hole.

Non starter subject... There plenty fire retardent paints for use on coated foam boards. Painted foam will be safer than paneling.

I've been looking at the Mr. Buddy model for my 18'. What size are you heating with the Big Buddy?

It's a Dolphin 900, so 21 feet. I tried it out yesterday. It's like a blast furnace. Can't recommend it enough. I have a storage cage welded to the back of my Dolphin, so I'll be hauling an extra propane tank and running the line from there to the Big Buddy externally. The 12 foot extension hose gave me just enough length to run it through a side window.

Paul, I have the small Mr Buddy (3,000 / 9,000 btu) On 9,000 it does a good job of keeping the coach warm, even down to zero.

I bought a roll of that insulation that looks like aluminized bubble wrap, and made covers for all my windows, roof vents, including the driver and passenger doors, and the windshield.

It only takes a minute to put these covers in place when I stop for the night (winter or summer) and these seem to help a lot. (Also make it darker inside).

I have a lot of frost on the windows when I wake up. Leave one of the roof vents open 1/2 inch, Be vary careful where you set the heater, make sure nothing can fall on it.

I set the furnace at 55, make sure that it does not blow against the Mr Buddy.

Buy a Carbon Monozide alarm, get the kind that has a digital readout, they are about $20 - $25. Test it before your trip to make sure it sounds.

JOhn Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto (For Sale)