We are having a heck of a time trying to find

7x14.5

8ply

Nylon

Radial

MOTORHOME tires

For our 1978 Toyota odyssey. We tried a trailer tire of the same size but it popped off the rim a few hundred miles later. We are in Boston area and no one has these!! Help!

Unless you have a very strange Toyota MH, you NEED to PARK it until you get the tire thing fixed.

1. NORMAL Toyota RV come with 14" rims not 14.5" rims!!! put 14.5 tires on a 14" rim is VERY dangerous as you have found out. The rim will have the size (dia, width and rim style ) stamped into the metal somewhere on it CHECK YOURS.

There should be a warning to this effect on the tire its self.

2. 14.5" tires are trailer tires and should NEVER be used on a automobile.

There should also be a warning on the tire to this effect.

The correct tire for a Toyota RV is a 185/14-LT. A 185/70/14 is a car tire. If the tire guy says there isnt a 185/14-LT and you have to have a middle number find a tire store with smarter staff.

This what you want. http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/tires/hankook/product/submitProductSize.do;jsessionid=BBYFJC8qgFG3ylgLRfEW-g__.dtc105?r=COBINT&pc=11011

Thank you... We are still a tad confused because the other 5 of our tires are the originals and are 14.5s. We've had no trouble with any of them. The one we are having trouble with is the one we replaced....

Yikes. For sure remove a front wheel and find the rim size and inspect the tire for a "trailer only" marking.

i met a guy who has a metel wrist from trying to mount a 16.5 tire on a 16 inch rim blew it off smaching his wrist

We are having a heck of a time trying to find

7x14.5

8ply

Nylon

Radial

MOTORHOME tires

For our 1978 Toyota odyssey. We tried a trailer tire of the same size but it popped off the rim a few hundred miles later. We are in Boston area and no one has these!! Help!

I've got 7 X 14.5" 8 ply rated tires on my equipment trailer. They are bias-ply and made for mobile home axles. Never heard of any Toyota using a 14.5". In fact, I never heard of any passenger vehicle using that size. 14" yes. Not 14.5"

Okay thanks guys. We drove from San Diego to Maine on 4 tires that were exactly that - 7x 14.5 bias ply nylon ... With 14 inch rims.... With no problem until now. We have seen about 9 mechanics and no one mentioned that it was strange. Geeez.

Looking for those 14 inch tires mentioned above now.

We FINALLY got the tires we needed. Here in Canada it was a bit harder, as most of the tire stores carry the exact same tires as each other and don't venture out of the box.

Thanks to Darrel from Oregon, who was visiting us here on Vancouver Island, who chatted up the folks at the Big O Tire store in Ladysmith, we were able to have them ordered from someplace in Edmonton. We had them installed last Thursday at the Big O Tire store in Nanaimo.

They are Nexen, 185 x 14 - 8 ply. Weren't cheap, but nothing is here. We call it the GCRO (Great Canadian Rip Off)

Gotta thank Big O for going that extra mile for us, which none of those other big tire companies would.

Great, thanks for weighing in. Just to clarify these are 8 ply "light truck" tires we are putting on our motorhome, right?

8 ply is an obsolete term. But a lot of people still use it. Load range D or C tires will be what you need. That term is also obsolete too :innocent: The current load rating that you need are 97 (C rating, 6 ply) 1600lb @ 50 psi or 102 (D rating, 8 ply) 1860lb @ 65 psi.

SO.... 8 ply, D range and 102 load rating all mean the same thing.

Some Toys came with C range tires from the factory. To use them you need to weigh your Toy and do some math and see if it would be safe. I always figure on 3 rear tires in the rear just in case you need to drive a bit with a flat. You ain't going any where with a flat front so it doesn't matter.

One more thing you may see a 102 (d range) tire marked something like LT185-14C. Don't worry the C is the European/Asia marking for Commercial, they use it instead of LT (light truck)

we also found it hard to buy proper 185 14LT in Canada, even though CTC carries Hankook brand tires in other sizes the tire guys eyes would glaze over and they said they wouldn't be able to order anything without a profile number.

eventually I ordered Hankook RA08's through Walmart.com (not Walmart.ca) and within a week they were delivered to the nearest US Walmart (Ogdensberg,NY). went down, had them installed, went camping!

Your mobile Walmart session won't come up for me but I can see the full address now that I'm answering and yes those are the right tires and one of the ones people seem to prefer now. All season so better in Mass.

Linda S