What can be used to prevent mold under the over-cab mattress?

Stevo

In most cases the moisture goes through the mattress from perspiration or condensation. If you determine the moisture is not from a leak I've seen people place fiberglass corrugated roof panels under their mattress. It allows it to breath, can be cut to size and provides a firm base. It can easily be removed for maintenance.

There is also a roofing product called "Cobra Vent". It comes in a roll that can be cut to size. This would work if height is an issue.

go sleep in those sunraders with 2 kids spouse and a dog for 3 nights with a towel under the bed(s).... you will be able to wring at least a full glass.

I think the floor of the cabover bed is colder from being chilled by the truck frame; it sweats the moisture from the air right against it. Opening windows helps but this is like a morning dew effect. Only for sure way to keep good is a routine which in volves takeing cushions off bed putting them vertical for a bit to dry. I like stacking them against rig in sun if possible. In winter use dehumidifier with them up. Store the rig with cushion stacked vertical in the hallway

nope; its under the bed cushion; no light wet and the bottom of the cushion doesnt let it breath as its plastic (probably because they KNEW it gets wet there; think about that for just a sec; why is the bottoms of the cab over bed have a plastic liner>?

nope it will mold up fierce and if left to rot will make hudson bay at low tide smell good by comparison

Because the temp difference is part of the cause of the condensation problem. I laid a couple layers of reflextix on the cab over bottom and it seemed to help. There may be some breathing effect with all the bubbles too. On cold nights it helps keep you warmer.

I don't take my bed apart when traveling.

would putting some thin 1/4 ply board trim strips spaced out 6" or more help bed breath?

keeping bed off cabover frame?

I don't think the 1/4" would give enough clearance. Next time your in a big chain store check out the "Cobra Vent" in the roofing aisle. I've never used it for a bed but it's strong, lightweight and pretty reasonable.

I've been surprised that my cab over gets condensation. Even gutted. There was enough to send a little run of water rolling down a slant in it. I was camping, and it was 90 during the day 50's at night. No one sleeping there, no mattress, dry Montana air, and there was condensation in just the cab over.

Hopefully the roof vent I just installed, which actually opens unlike my old one, will help with this...

I don't think the 1/4" would give enough clearance. Next time your in a big chain store check out the "Cobra Vent" in the roofing aisle. I've never used it for a bed but it's strong, lightweight and pretty reasonable.

Just took a look at this stuff and it looks perfect. Cheap too.

Linda S

I've been surprised that my cab over gets condensation. Even gutted. There was enough to send a little run of water rolling down a slant in it. I was camping, and it was 90 during the day 50's at night. No one sleeping there, no mattress, dry Montana air, and there was condensation in just the cab over.

Hopefully the roof vent I just installed, which actually opens unlike my old one, will help with this...

This is also what I observed this winter. I completely removed all cushions to the house; and there was still condensation. I literally had to put on a dehumidifier (with the furnace on) to pull a couple gallons of water out of the rig. Im telling ya; they are big terrariums; putting a mesh under the bed aint gonna stop the condensation from temperature difference just as WME stated; might let it dry out better though. Reality is that that cab over area will be warmer than the cold truck frame/roof and thus the evaporated air will seek the cool bed floor in cab over bed area like moisture to a cold beer. Gotta remove the moisture.

would putting some thin 1/4 ply board trim strips spaced out 6" or more help bed breath?

keeping bed off cabover frame?

That and a cut to size piece of peg board laid on top of the strips might to the trick.

But at night my butt still likes the added warmth from the Reflextix

That and a cut to size piece of peg board laid on top of the strips might to the trick.

But at night my butt still likes the added warmth from the Reflextix

dont forget to add a blower to it. its still going to get wet.

Based on the older thread about this subject it looks like that Hypervent stuff didn't work. Good to know. I'll look at the Cobra Vent next time I'm at Home Depot. I wonder if its the same thing?

Thanks everyone.

I still say if you have 4 people in your rig you wont be "drying out by noon' Lattice, gable vent mesh or any other under the mattress product... its gotta air dry. periodically pull em and sun em or ar least pull em verticle and let a fan hit em. (mattresses).

Mildew smell wont just go away.