First Trip on 93 Winnie, small issue

Kite mobile

Finally, after buying the MH in February, we went on our first 2 day test trip. This was great experience and we were surprised that everything worked. My wifey even said that this was the best family investment I have ever purchased. However, we did have one small issue that gave me some headache. On our first morning, I discovered that shower was filled with water and it started leaking to the bathroom floor. No biggie, I drained both grey and black water tanks and water in the shower disappeared. The very same day the same thing happened again, water in shower coming out of the drain, so I pulled the valve for grey water and water in the shower drained out. What is going on? According to Winnebago manual, the grey tank should hold 12 gallons or same as black tank as well as fresh tank. Am I forgetting something? This is our first MH and I am very new to this. I checked the two ring valves near fresh water tank and they are both pushed in. Please advise. We are planning a long kiteboarding trip to Vancouver Island and with two small children I need that grey tank to work. Thank you very much for any input. Much appreciated.

Hi--congrats on you maiden voyage! We have a '92 Itasca in which we full-time. The obvious answer to your problem is water volume in and water volume out. Don't know how you are using the water, but if you or DW are using it like you are at home, with the dump valves closed, you will be surprised how fast both tanks fill up. Although the manual says 12 gallons, I have personally measured input and output on my tanks, and neither one is near specs. Try hooking up to a sewer outlet, and using it as you did, and I'll bet you will have not more problem. If that is the case, you will just have to be aware of how much water you are putting into those tiny tanks when your dump valves are closed. Hope this helps.

Hook up to a proper RV drain, empty the tanks and using a couple of 1 gallon jugs measure how much it takes to fill them.

P.S. IF the tank topside vent is plugged the tanks won't fill to capacity due to trapped air.

WME

Thanks for prompt replies, I'll check with 23 liter canister how much exactly does the grey tank hold, I am sure its nowhere near factory 45 liters.

Hook up to a proper RV drain, empty the tanks and using a couple of 1 gallon jugs measure how much it takes to fill them.

P.S. IF the tank topside vent is plugged the tanks won't fill to capacity due to trapped air.

WME

Is there a way to check that topside vent?

Thanks for prompt replies, I'll check with 23 liter canister how much exactly does the grey tank hold, I am sure its nowhere near factory 45 liters.

Is there a way to check that topside vent?

Crawl up on the roof, unhook the vent cap. Make sure there is a gap between the vent stack pipe coming up and the top of the cap. If that pipe hits the top of the cap then air can't escape which could be one possible cause of a backed up drain. If you don't know how to take the cap off then goodle on these keywords "rv vent cap plumbing" match the style you have and look at the installation instructions for it. Those instructions will also tell you the height the pipe coming up out of the rig should be.

You can run a plumbers snake down the vent tube to clear possible blockages. If you have a sink on the same vent stack maybe that is where there is a vent blockage has occured.

Remember its just a bunch of tubes with a big storage box at the bottom.

Crawl up on the roof, unhook the vent cap. Make sure there is a gap between the vent stack pipe coming up and the top of the cap. If that pipe hits the top of the cap then air can't escape which could be one possible cause of a backed up drain. If you don't know how to take the cap off then goodle on these keywords "rv vent cap plumbing" match the style you have and look at the installation instructions for it. Those instructions will also tell you the height the pipe coming up out of the rig should be.

You can run a plumbers snake down the vent tube to clear possible blockages. If you have a sink on the same vent stack maybe that is where there is a vent blockage has occured.

Remember its just a bunch of tubes with a big storage box at the bottom.

I thought you were joking at first, I was imagining that this vent would be on the tank itself. I haven't actually been on the roof yet, I am 90kg and was scared to dent the roof, however, my 2.5 year old son has already been there, scared the s**t out of me...haha.

I thought you were joking at first, I was imagining that this vent would be on the tank itself. I haven't actually been on the roof yet, I am 90kg and was scared to dent the roof, however, my 2.5 year old son has already been there, scared the s**t out of me...haha.

You are in for a bit of education into many new and not always pleasant things to deal with. Of course you could call a plumber if you don't want to mess with this stuff.

Just use a sturdy step ladder, you don't actually have to crawl onto the roof as most times the vents are over towards the edge.

Some showers drained into the gray tank some drained into the black. The gray will fill faster (doing dishes,shower and bath sink). When you empty the gray tank leave the valve open and run the shower if water comes out you'll know how it drains. There is not a lot of room in the drain tanks and the water supply is greater then a single tank. Some people have managed to swap the shower to the black tank but there is not a lot of room to deal with plumbing.

the roof vent is on a stack- just like a house.

Get some gallon jugs & do the calibration - won't take long & then you will know. A clogged vent seems unlikely to me but it is possible. My camper has 12 gallon g & b & 14 gallon fresh. If we shower/ use kitchen sink exclusivelly water will backup in the shower. If that happens I just let a few out into a bucket.

Generally while hooked up to sewer you leave the g open & the B closed. Then when the b fills up you dump it. If you leave the b open solids will clog it up. If that has happened to you put a few gallons in it & drive around, dump & repeat.

if you find you need more waste storage i expanded or doubled my black tank with an 18 gallon thetford smart tote portable waste tank very nice desinged unit

• 3 weeks later...

To my big disappointment, there is no grey water tank on this MH! After the grey water dump valve the piping goes straight to t-joint under the shower and then towards the kitchen sink :( :( :(. The piping does not look stock in this junction, so I guess it has been replaced by previous owners where Grey Tank has been taken out completely for some reason. Oh well, bucket under the grey valve it is when boondocking.

wow! must have broken the tank & ditched it. It should be just in front of the dump valve - looks a lot like the black tank which is located under the toilet (I have a 93 winnie warrior 321rb rear bath, I have had a 92 itasca spirit which is the same thing.

you might check around for a tank at junkyards - where ever rv's go to die. it is very accessible.

of course if you always stop where you can dump gray on the ground it does not matter. most rv parks & many states do not allow it === but many folks do it.

Guess if you take a shower or run sink water with the drain closed water will back up pretty quick.

• 4 weeks later...

my dolphon has an 18 gallon black tank. i ext that with an 18 gallon thetferd smart tote portable black tank