Roof vent size

Scottybuck

Most are 14"x14".

But not my Chinook. It's more like 24"x16".

Any regular old vent you buy will be 14"x14", so in that sense they're a standard size. But in actual RVs...I wouldn't assume yours is standard. You can find other sizes, but there isn't much choice.

It would be easy to find out. Step one: Go to your tool box. Step two: Get out a measuring tape. Step three climb the ladder on your rig. Step four Take your measuring tape out and measure. Wall-la you have your measurements! :innocent:

Then you take your measurements down to the local store...But first... look at how the thing is screwed together. I mean How do you take it apart. There are several different standard vents. Some come with screws and some with the one the pin goes through. There is nothing like going to the rv store just to find out you need to know what your rv takes. Then having to drive home again to find out. If they don't sell your size, you might need to custom order on which can be pricey.

I can measure it, I know that.....the RV is at my parents house, and I was going to order a vent cover on line today. I don't have a place close to me to go buy one, and didn't know if it was a generic size, but thanks for the post.

Thanks.

Scott

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.dyersonline.com/media/cms/guides/Hinge_Styles2.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.dyersonline.com/hardware/roof-vents/roof-vent-replacement-parts.html&h=303&w=375&sz=37&tbnid These are the types of hinges they are all 14X14 the monkey wrench is what they call an escape hatch generally above the bed over the cab it is not a standard size it's much larger and 4 times as expensive.

Maineah

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.dyersonline.com/media/cms/guides/Hinge_Styles2.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.dyersonline.com/hardware/roof-vents/roof-vent-replacement-parts.html&h=303&w=375&sz=37&tbnid These are the types of hinges they are all 14X14 the monkey wrench is what they call an escape hatch generally above the bed over the cab it is not a standard size it's much larger and 4 times as expensive.

That link doesn't work for me, neither does copying and pasting it on googles front page. ???

• 2 weeks later...

Most are standard 14x14. I think Winnebago uses a weird size and then there is the one like Zach has on the Chinook.

I would recommend looking at all your roof vents. From the inside of the coach, remove the screen and the inside trim piece, you can then measure the opening and inspect the frame for cracks, if they have plastic frames, consider replacing them all. New vents run about $35 each. TYPICAL ROOF VENT You may also consider installing a MaxxAire cover on one or two of them.

Look at this link to see how I replaced mine.

REPLACE ROOF VENTS

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

At John Mc, where did you buy the self leveling sealant? Is the picture one or two different sealants? I am installing a new fan vent this week and need to buy a good sealant.

if your replacising the roof vents i would buy the metel frame type wont crack. I dont know what others use i use DICOR OVER THE VENT FLANGE SCREWS etc.

At John Mc, where did you buy the self leveling sealant? Is the picture one or two different sealants? I am installing a new fan vent this week and need to buy a good sealant.

I use only butyl tape just like my windows. Seals around the screws when you tighen them down. No leaks at all.

Linda S

I use Butyl tape, then use the sealant around the entire fixture. You can buy the sealant at any RV place. There are two different brand names in the photo, either will work. I squirt it on, then used a paint brush to spread around into all the nooks and crannies. (cut the bristles so they are only about 1 inch long)

JOhn Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

• 1 month later...

I am looking at several leaking repairs and have been reading all the posts and the web for ideas. Has anyone used the EternaBond tape product? If so, what has your experience been? They make it sound too good to be true? That always makes me skeptical.

Butyl rubber tape is a wiser choice. The reason being that RV roofs and walls and even the rim around the vent itself are not generally true flat. With putty tape you can easily build up extra thickness to compensate for wider areas. You can't do that with Eternabond tape as it has a foam type center to it so that while it will compress it will only do so for a small fractional amount of change to adapt to surface irregularities. Under stress such as materials expanding and contracting due to changes in temperature that foam layer can split apart. That means you might end up with a bigger leak than you had before. While it might not have happened to everyone there is a potential for it to happen.

But Butyl tape does stay flexible and much like chewing gum it will take the movement of expansion and contraction changes. Or of course the flexing that could occur from someone walking on the roof. Go with what is known and well proven to work.

do those maxxair vent covers fit over your existing roof vent or is it an either or thing? just ordered 2 new vents online and maybe a maxxair style vent might be better for me... I am also posting a new thread giving away a few items and appliances in exchange for a little help and advice, a duo therm brisk air AC unit included amongst them...not trying to hijack thread PM me for more info