Toyota dually

Ok so as an Australian I have been searching for days with no luck on who actually made the toyota dually, as in the later items such as the u haul. I know they are toyota based off the "hilux" yet I have Wikipedia frustration yet again, hi stepho mr.choppers. With Wikipedia "citation needed" and so far all I have done is end up here, can anyone help with information "citation" that can be used such as a simple google of ford gtho will bring up Wikipedia and knowledge about them...

Edited by unknowing aussie

Ok so as an Australian I have been searching for days with no luck on who actually made the toyota dually, as in the later items such as the u haul. I know they are toyota based off the "hilux" yet I have Wikipedia frustration yet again, hi stepho mr.choppers. With Wikipedia "citation needed" and so far all I have done is end up here, can anyone help with information "citation" that can be used such as a simple google of ford gtho will bring up Wikipedia and knowledge about them...

Are you asking who actually manufactured the rear-axle assembly? I guess I cannot say for sure who made anything all the auto-makers have many parts and sub-assembies made for them. The dually rear is made with the same construction practices as the 1/2 ton rear axles so I assume . . . if Toyota made the 1/2 ton rears, they also made the dually full-floaters. One thing notable about all of them is the housing is made from smaller pieces of plate steel welded together and the round sections are NOT made from DOM tubing - like USA axle-housing are. It would not take much work to convert a 1/2 ton rear to a full floater.

As to who made the trucks?? Toyota made the chassis with no box and sold to coach makers who added boxes, flatbeds, utility bodies, or whatever. U-haul was the most prominent but there were others. I just stripped a 1987 dually box truck that was never a U-haul.

Even the camper companies like Chinook made "box trucks" now and then. In 1978, the Toyota Chinook was offered as a "commercial van" with no interior. No dually though.

In the fact the Toyota 1 ton is the only floating rear that does not oil the bearings with gear lube I would have to say it all their's. All the early Toyota trucks came to the US with no rear body they were made in the states and assembled here.

In the fact the Toyota 1 ton is the only floating rear that does not oil the bearings with gear lube I would have to say it all their's. All the early Toyota trucks came to the US with no rear body they were made in the states and assembled here.

Something I noticed on the Toyota rear that I'd never seen before is the round tubes. They have rasied casting-seams on them. Any other rear axles I've worked with in trucks have symetrical round tubes made from DOM (drawn-over-mandrel) thickwall steel tubing. I also found some older Toyota literature from the 1960s that discusses their practice of making rear-axle assemblies from small pieces of plate steel welded together. I had figured it was because they saved money using scraps. NOT according to Toyota. They claim their process results in a stronger housing then the way the USA housings are built. USA housings are usually one-piece stamped steel, some castings, and two sections of DOM tubing stuck on each side.

It's not like they made that axle just for US motorhomes and box trucks. Unknowing Aussie posted that pic of the Dyna with the same axle used on millions of commercial trucks all over the world. When the production is that high manufacturers keep it in-house, they don't shop it out

Linda S

It's not like they made that axle just for US motorhomes and box trucks. Unknowing Aussie posted that pic of the Dyna with the same axle used on millions of commercial trucks all over the world. When the production is that high manufacturers keep it in-house, they don't shop it out

Linda S

I"m aware of those FFs being used for many years in other countries long before they appeared in US motorhomes. They are only "recent' here. But many companies selling many vehicles all over the world are having much made for them by other suppliers. I was discussing this with father-in-law recently. He's a retired engineer for Ford. He tells me that now Ford makes some engines, some transmissions, and some frames -and ust about all else (mechanical components) is made by outside suppliers. In regard to Toyota,, I don't know. I do know they do NOT make their own wheels, brakes, transmissions, charging systems, fuel systems, power steering systems, bearings, etc. Those are from outside manufacturers. In the USA - since Toyota and Nissan are not subject to the silly UAW mandates - I don't know how they source their parts. GM got much from Delphi but since GM went belly-under and addicted to taxpayer bucks - I don't know who is making what. Then there is the other issue of "joint ventures and it all gets very hard to figure out. Volkswagen is selling Dodge Grand-Caravans with their VW name on them right not. Volvo has rebadged Subarus and sold as Volvos. Toyota has been sold as rebadged Chevys or Geos. Fiat of Italy owns what was once American Chrysler. Chevy rebadges Korean Daewoos and sells as Chevys. Chevy has also rebadged Opels from Germany, Isuzus from Japan, Suzuki, etc. Ford uses many Mazda of Japan components and sometimes rebadges entire Mazda vehicles.

I do know that some of the most popular cab-over Japanese trucks use HD full-floating rear axles designed and made by NIssan.

Like I already said, I have no idea who makes what but I DO know that making something in high numbers does not necessarily mean the components are made in-house.

Perhaps the 'Aussie' knows if the FF axles in his market require the rear bearings be repacked or are they lubricated by the differential oil?

It's a big guessing game as to who now makes what components 'in-house'. Even harder to guess the same from 30 years ago.

Toyota based pickups were sold in Europe rebadged as VWs.

Toyota (formerly Toyoda) uses many Hino and Daihatsu components. Many Dynas with FF rears were made by Hino for Toyota before Toyota had a controlling interest. I bet the dually rear axles used in Toyota RVs are Hino design and not Toyota. I suspect Hino is where Toyota got all it's heavy duty rear axles from. Hino was making heavy trucks long before Toyota did. That includes small cab-over dually trucks sometimes sold as Dynas. Granted that Toyota now has controlling interest in HIno, just as GM has in Isuzu. So when a Chevy truck comes down the road with a Duramax diesel in it - is it to be considered a Chevy engine or Isuzu? The engine was designed and built by Isuzu but GM has control of Isuzu. Hino built many Land Cruisers with FF rear axles for Toyota - but since Toyota controls HIno since 2001 - ???

interesting thoughts but remember in the 1970s or the 1980s the toyotas came to the us from japan i had heard the pickup beds were put on here don't know about made here . my 1988 4wd says on it made in japan. i am sure but haven't looked at my dolphin which is a late 1986 date six lug front and rear f f 1 ton chassis next time i go out to it i will look

to our frend from down under do you know the lub set up on those aussie full floaters. for the u s the f f rear axle was somthing we should of had avalable much sooner was around else ware for a long time.

interesting thoughts but remember in the 1970s or the 1980s the toyotas came to the us from japan i had heard the pickup beds were put on here don't know about made here . my 1988 4wd says on it made in japan. i am sure but haven't looked at my dolphin which is a late 1986 date six lug front and rear f f 1 ton chassis next time i go out to it i will look

Yeah the rear beds were made in CA there was a sticker on the front of the bed behind the truck cab. Strangely they were the first thing to rust out.

I"m aware of those FFs being used for many years in other countries long before they appeared in US motorhomes. They are only "recent' here. But many companies selling many vehicles all over the world are having much made for them by other suppliers. I was discussing this with father-in-law recently. He's a retired engineer for Ford. He tells me that now Ford makes some engines, some transmissions, and some frames -and ust about all else (mechanical components) is made by outside suppliers. In regard to Toyota,, I don't know. I do know they do NOT make their own wheels, brakes, transmissions, charging systems, fuel systems, power steering systems, bearings, etc. Those are from outside manufacturers. In the USA - since Toyota and Nissan are not subject to the silly UAW mandates - I don't know how they source their parts. GM got much from Delphi but since GM went belly-under and addicted to taxpayer bucks - I don't know who is making what. Then there is the other issue of "joint ventures and it all gets very hard to figure out. Volkswagen is selling Dodge Grand-Caravans with their VW name on them right not. Volvo has rebadged Subarus and sold as Volvos. Toyota has been sold as rebadged Chevys or Geos. Fiat of Italy owns what was once American Chrysler. Chevy rebadges Korean Daewoos and sells as Chevys. Chevy has also rebadged Opels from Germany, Isuzus from Japan, Suzuki, etc. Ford uses many Mazda of Japan components and sometimes rebadges entire Mazda vehicles.

I do know that some of the most popular cab-over Japanese trucks use HD full-floating rear axles designed and made by NIssan.

Like I already said, I have no idea who makes what but I DO know that making something in high numbers does not necessarily mean the components are made in-house.

Delphi supplies parts to every one, there are tons of Delphi parts in my new Tacoma. At this point the Tacoma/Tundra's have more US made parts and assemblies then Chevy or Ford. The Duromax is Isuzus design GM has owned Opel for decades and a big portion of Daewoo and Suzki. As far as a gov bail out this is a motor home forum there are other forums for that stuff.

Delphi supplies parts to every one, there are tons of Delphi parts in my new Tacoma. At this point the Tacoma/Tundra's have more US made parts and assemblies then Chevy or Ford. The Duromax is Isuzus design GM has owned Opel for decades and a big portion of Daewoo and Suzki. As far as a gov bail out this is a motor home forum there are other forums for that stuff.

The Delphi that I made reference too - that supplied GM, et. al. went bankrupt in 2009 and no longer exists. The company that now owns the brand-name has little to do with the original Delphi Automotive I was referring to - although they both service the auto parts industry.

Am I now in trouble because I dare mentioned GM sucking up our tax dollars? Good grief. It that is the case. let the relevance-police ban me from this forum and I will lose no sleep over it. To me, it IS relevant. Well run companies e.g. Ford, Nissan, Toyota, etc., &c. would of picked up any "slack" left from any other auto makers disappearing. So I regard siphoning billiions of borrowed money to GM and Fiat-Chrysler a huge waste. And . . I just wasted two at least two sentences saying it. So what?

The aussie version can be found Google YN85R of similar years, any help there on chassis/frame id as I assume they would be a RN...?or VN...? "V6" with the 3.0l 3VZ-FE.

Have the chassis/frame been cut and extended, or are they a factory extra long wheel base and the front wheel hub is of curiosity to me as well as toyota have nothing I have seen like such as everything has large drum brakes.

With the FF they are a grease pack bearing with an oil seal on the axle same as the FF in the landcruiser "pickups" ute/utility and wagons and I do know of a 100 series landcruiser that spat an axle at speed and he just put it in 4wd, went back found the axle and kept driving it for about a week.

The aussie version can be found Google YN85R of similar years, any help there on chassis/frame id as I assume they would be a RN...?or VN...? "V6" with the 3.0l 3VZ-FE. Have the chassis/frame been cut and extended, or are they a factory extra long wheel base and the front wheel hub is of curiosity to me as well as toyota have nothing I have seen like such as everything has large drum brakes. With the FF they are a grease pack bearing with an oil seal on the axle same as the FF in the landcruiser "pickups" ute/utility and wagons and I do know of a 100 series landcruiser that spat an axle at speed and he just put it in 4wd, went back found the axle and kept driving it for about a week.

I have a 1987 1 ton dually that I stripped and is waiting for the snow to melt so I can junk it. The frame is obviously one piece with no extensions welded in.

In regard to front drum brakes? I haven't seen anyone use them in many years in any car or consumer-level truck. In the USA, front drum brakes pretty much disappeared in the late 1960s to mid 70s, along with single master cylinders. I suspect Japanese vehicles may have been one of the last to use them since they are often late with many changes when sold in the US. I know my 89 or 90 Subaru was the last car sold in the USA with a carburetor, 5 years later then most other auto makers.

Disk brakes have been available on cars for over 100 years. They did not become easily available in the USA until the later 1940s, early 1950s. I still have a 1950 Crosley that was one of the first in the US. They weren't standard until the mid 1970s. In the US, drum brakes in the front of some heavy big-rig trucks are still available as "cheap" options. Not preferred though. I'm kind of wondering if Mack now only has disks in front since they got bought out by Volvo. In most of Europe, disk brakes are required by law on big rigs (from what I've read).

My 1978 Toyota truck came with stationary "fixed mount" disk brake calipers with dual pistons. My 87 one-tonner came with floating mount calipers with single pistons.

Have the chassis/frame been cut and extended, or are they a factory extra long wheel base ...

As far as I know, the MH manufacturers didn't extend the wheelbase. I've seen them listed as long as 143". Another common LWB is 137".

A (sort of) exception to this 'no cut' would be the few that tried adding a 'tag axle' ('79 -'81). But I don't think the distance between axle #1 and #2 was changed.i

My 86 Escaper had an extended frame. 147"WB. EZ Ryders have an even longer extended frame (151"??). They are 23ft long

My 86 Escaper had an extended frame. 147"WB. EZ Ryders have an even longer extended frame. They are 23ft long

Extended between the front and rear axles or just beyond the rear?

The Delphi that I made reference too - that supplied GM, et. al. went bankrupt in 2009 and no longer exists. The company that now owns the brand-name has little to do with the original Delphi Automotive I was referring to - although they both service the auto parts industry.

Am I now in trouble because I dare mentioned GM sucking up our tax dollars? Good grief. It that is the case. let the relevance-police ban me from this forum and I will lose no sleep over it. To me, it IS relevant. Well run companies e.g. Ford, Nissan, Toyota, etc., &c. would of picked up any "slack" left from any other auto makers disappearing. So I regard siphoning billiions of borrowed money to GM and Fiat-Chrysler a huge waste. And . . I just wasted two at least two sentences saying it. So what?

. It just starts arguments that's all. My new Toyota is full of Delphi parts havac,plastic stuff and controls and who knows what else oh it was also made in Texas. Delphi is about the biggest tangled web I know of I have no ideal who is making the auto parts branded Delphi Gm is still involved with some of it.

. It just starts arguments that's all. My new Toyota is full of Delphi parts havac,plastic stuff and controls and who knows what else oh it was also made in Texas.

I used to buy a lot of fuel injection parts (diesel) from Delphl. That's when it was a GM created company. Since they went bankrupt and went under new ownership, many things changed. Not necessarily better or worse . . . just different. There are many things I can no longer get from Delphi. Same goes for AC Delco.

so i was in at the bundaberg markets and took a few photos, they are extremely quiet after the recent floods.

20130310_084331_zpsd5d7d30e.jpg

this is the only style of dyna i have seen with front disc brakes on I beam axle, i assume that the current model hiace van 2004- could be similar but on IFS independent front suspension.

14" up front 12" down back 1.5 ton and the white one in the back is a isuzu "ELF" nkr 2ton single rear 15" wheels FF

this photo is just because it is different, an ex mine unit and now toyota makes a factory dual/crew cab V8 diesel http://www.carsguide.com.au/news-and-reviews/car-news/toyota_landcruiser_crew_cab_misses_crash_stars

20130310_085346_zps48c4fde2.jpg

20130310_085629_zps65077770.jpg

so this the back wheels, the lug/stud pattern is standard between the 12", 14" and 16" rims and thus i would also assume is the full floating hub.

2013-03-10094631_zps6f60566a.png

This is not correct. My Nissan Motorhome does not oil the bearings with gear oil either. Nissan had a full float axle available 2 years before Toyota. Looks very similar to the Toyota but different lug pattern.

Linda S

This is not correct. My Nissan Motorhome does not oil the bearings with gear oil either. Nissan had a full float axle available 2 years before Toyota. Looks very similar to the Toyota but different lug pattern.

Linda S

Ford and Jeep also had a full floating rear made by Dana that had a sealed wheel bearings, i.e. no gear oil to the wheel bearings. 1941-1945. Dana full floating axle model 23-2. There are probably others I've forgotten about.

Good luck figuring who makes what and when. Nihon (UD) made heavy trucks, engines, and rear axles since before WWII. Nissan took control of UD as "Nissan Diesel." Nissan Diesel is a different company then Nissan Motors and I suspect the full-floaters found in Nissan RVs are from Nissan Diesel/UD. Now? There is no more self-owned Nissan of any sort. Volvo owns Nissan-Diesel (and also Mack Trucks). Nissan Motors is controlled by Renault of France. So it seems to me that Nissan was sourcing UD FF axles, and Toyota was sourcing Hino axles and both were around for a very long time. Toyota has some vehicles in the USA in the 1960s made by Hino - that much I'm sure of.

And Nihon and Hino might have been 'inspired' by the WWII era Dana axle, as they were apt to do.

You may be on to something the Japanese were fantastic copiers. An old Army Vet told me years ago that intelligence used to make pretty much useless stuff and leave it somewhere and later capture what they had made it is was perfect to the letter.

And Nihon and Hino might have been 'inspired' by the WWII era Dana axle, as they were apt to do.

Yes, the Japanese were known for excelling at copying designs from all over the world and often improving them. And yes - just about all the US companies did it too. But unlike Japan, we (the USA) won two World Wars and seized many designs and patents from foreign companies. Especially from Germany.

My father-in-law was a Ford Motors engineer and was active in a sort-of secret "Robustness" program in the 1970s. It's goal was to copy Datsun and Toyota and try to replicate their durability.

I hate to say it but many if not most major auto innovations started in France. Then the rest of the world built on it. I AM French so feel qualified to pick on them. My matrilineal line in southern France has the name "Bielle" (my g-g-grandma). Translated from southern-peasant French into English that means "connecting rod." Originally I assume a connecting rod on an "up and down" water-powered saw that later got adopted for use on car and truck engines.

I got researching my Datsun 240Z one time and was amazed at how many portions of cars from all over the world were copied by Nissan/Datsun to build the sports car first named "Fair Lady" in the USA - and then quickly changed to 240Z. Corvette, Porsche, Mercedes, BMW, etc. were all contributors to the 240Z design.

Toyota with the export success of the stout in 1963 started to get hino to do certain parts of production, by 1965 toyota had hino and diahatsu under there thumb and by 1967 toyota was hino and a key factor of diahatsu and now owns both.

Yes toyota was extremely good at taking a design and improving it as there own although nissan datsan were better at copying and one of the small datsan engines were so close a copy of a British Morris engine that the datsan head could bolt on the morris block and the same series datsan engine could near bolt in the such morris without much issue apart from the metric imperial thread thing.(as the story is told)

Now back to topic is it possible to get VIN on theses extra long factory wheel base toyota so I can search parts lists and so on to try and find out more about them

ok so

the 3VZ-FE V6 3.0L

in two specs extra long and super long

http://toyotamarket.ru/us/672450/070/

on the link are the part numbers for every piece of the toyota termed "U-Haul model" and with a play on the site i am sure you will also be able to find the four cylinder 22R version as well, note this site is not "official" and has no link to toyota as such.

thanks yet again for your time and i hope i can persuade the boys in the know to add these models to wikipedia VZN85L and VZN95L, as well the four cylinder version RN85L.

Edited by unknowing aussie

on the link are the part numbers for every piece of the toyota termed "U-Haul model" and with a play on the site i am sure you will also be able to find the four cylinder 22R version as well, note this site is not "official" and has no link to toyota as such.

thanks yet again for your time and i hope i can persuade the boys in the know to add these models to wikipedia VZN85L and VZN95L, as well the four cylinder version RN85L.

The dually 1 ton I have here is a four cylinder. Model year 1987 and made in 86. Here's the info from the ID tags:

1987 model-year, 2.4 fuel injected engine and an auto trans. VIN: RN75L-SDIEA3W 033L041G292A43D

Manufactured in November, 1986

so all the factory toyota dual rear wheel models "WT" of USA and canada

RN55L-KRTEA3W

1985/08-1988/08 | 22REC T1 STD MTM 4F RCB W HVY WT USA EFI IV

http://toyotamarket.ru/us/671440/035/

RN55L-SRTEA3W

1985/08-1988/08 | 22REC T1 STD ATM 4HC RCB HVY WT USA EFI IV

http://toyotamarket.ru/us/671440/088/

RN75L-KRTEA3W

1985/08-1988/08 | 22REC T1 STD MTM 4F RCB W HVY WT USA EFI IV

http://toyotamarket.ru/us/671440/200/

RN75L-PDTEA3W