Should i sell my Onan?? getting solar panels....please help..

Marco1503

I try to ignore you, both of you really. Its way past the point where I know you have nothing to add.

Theres no way I can compete with someone retired as far as wasting time. I get a few messages a day from both of my geriatric admirers here because they found someone who messages back.

Just a bad habit I have in message forums of responding that brings me crazy stalkers once in a while.

Im new to rving but extremely thorough in research. If theres something relevant anyone has to add to the subject I definitely make a note of it so it can be an organized productive discussion that comes up with everyones best answer.

Sometimes theres disagreement and there is no answer.

I think what makes any discussion impossible is just bs lol making up figures that have no link to reality so Id personally rather exclude or ignore a regular bser.

In fact whatever it is you know about rving and have had the ability to communicate I know it. Im a fast learner and a comprehensive one.

Its just unfortunately you know nothing relevant to anything that im trying to work on.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats awesome my wife and I are looking to get something for around $10,000.

and do something very similar towich you did.

sounds like you know what your doing both rv and property.

I'm no expert on real estate but have been lucky a few times. Good thing since my wife got laid off 3 years ago from her museum job and never found another place to work. She's an expert in living history museums, alternative cooking, water powered, historic clothing, grist mills,etc. Not a lot of local work in that department and we don't want to move just for a job. I work for myself but not 8-10 hours a day like I used to. My only 100% steady income is Social Security. Been buying foreclosed homes and reselling for other income along with doing diesel repairs in my shop here. Health insurance is our biggest expense. No loans or debt. Just have to pay for insurance, food, taxes, etc. Also home-schooling our last kid and that is getting to cost a few bucks (buying a lot of books and such).

When my wife and I got married around 18 years ago (2nd time for me, 1st for her) - we decided not to spend money on a wedding and got married in our unfinished barn instead. When her parents showed up they handed us a wedding present of $9,999 cash. They said it was saved for their daughter's wedding and since we spent no money getting married - we could have the cash instead. So, we decided to invest it in something that would last awhile. Searched around NY and found land in the most rural area of NY - called the Tug Hill Plateau near Lake Ontario. Got 50 acres of woods and beaver ponds for $10,000. Hung on to it for many years. Then one day we get a phone call - totally out of the blue and some guy offers us $50,000 for the land. I was stunned and figured it was some kind of scam. Ended up not. The land is 25 miles from a miltary base (Ford Drum) that was getting expanded. Land values up there climbed. So, we took them money and started invested in other lands. Had another similar deal follow where we tripled out money more or less by accident. Now we have more land then brains and will be broke from taxes if we don't get rid of some. We've to two houses and a small farm in Michigan and 4-5 places here in NY. With the new gun laws that just came out - maybe we'll finally sell out of NY. We'll see.

Good luck on your search. Land is not getting any cheaper. Foreclosed homes, yes. I've been looking for buys with a friend around North Carolina and land is much more expensive then where I live now. Taxes are very low, however.

I also maintain a few websites for local real estate companies. Here is a link one if you want to "window shop" a bit.

http://www.countryboyrealtybranch.com/framesite.htm

Ive personally totally lost track of which is which.

Jd has no concept of, an orignal thread or whatever. Talking about volkswagen in the solar panel thread or whatever.

but whereever theres a mention of a microwave and a ford camper van in the electrical toyhome forum here recently..... That is a buddy of mine that owns undeveloped land in northern california. Mother earth news doesnt take showers for months the whole nine yards. He lives in an off grid airstream trailer.

Ill make a long story short.... I dont get it at all. If I had undeveloped land I would not be there hanging out. I mean its funny too because right now Im doing something similar but for free.

I bet Ill have a different opinion when I get older maybe. Im just the opposite I feel more drawn to urban life lately.

I think though if I had the internet maybe I could do the hermit thing a bit more.

I try to ignore you, both of you really. Its way past the point where I know you have nothing to add.

Are you having an "out of body" experience and talking to the guy in your mirror?

JD: thanks great advice and a cool story will look at the link shortly.

its really cool to find helpful people online.

instead of people that act alot younger than they probably are.... ↑↑↑↑

I've been a member of this forum for over a year now. When I first joined I knew little about Toyota or toyotamotorhomes. Three people who have given consistently good and accurate advice, in no particular order are: Maineah, Derek up north and Waiter. I would take to the bank any advice these members offered.

It makes me sad to think new potential members reading this site may go elsewhere after reading so many negative comments posted by just a few people.

I tell all my friends this is the best site for Toyotamotorhomes on the web. I hope I can continue to do so. Fred

Fred, Thank you.

I admit, sometimes I wonder off and tell you how to build a watch when all you really wanted was to know what time it is. But I find so much of this stuff fascinating, I am puzzeled when others don't share my enthusiasm. :sarcasm:

I attempt to choose my words and responses carefully. Particularly if someone doesn't agree with my analysis, methodology, or approach. I re-read my words before I hit the "SEND" button, and ask myself, would I be saying the exact same thing if I was standing across the table with the person. If the answer is no, then I change my words.

One general rule that I try and live by, "Do onto others as you would want them to do onto you". I don't like it when people talk down to me, call me an idiot, or diminish my input, so I do my best not to do that to others.

Thanks again for the kind words.

John Mc

It makes me sad to think new potential members reading this site may go elsewhere after reading so many negative comments posted by just a few people.

I tell all my friends this is the best site for Toyotamotorhomes on the web. I hope I can continue to do so. Fred

I'll assume the "few people" you mention include me. I agree that a forum set up for sharing RV experience and knowledge is not the place for unsolicited personal attacks on individual posters. As I recall aren't there forum rules against it? That I have never been guilty of. I AM guilty of responding when someone else attacks me personally, over and over and it goes unchecked. It reminds me of one of the huge problems with society today . . . the lack of social control by other members of that group. Not long ago people got called out for their actions by people around them and it helped to keep things in check without Big Brother stepping in. You are guilty of it in way. A blanket statement condemning a few unnamed without specifics doesn't carry much weight.

I've been participating on various technical forums for many years. There are always people trying to mess them up and they are usually the ones with little expertise. The forums that last and don't suffer are the ones that collectively do not collectively tolerate personal attacks.

I've only witnessed one person on these forums making unsolicited personal attacks on others and it has not been me. Do I defend myself and facts at times - yes. If I don't, who will? Do you suggest next time a person on this forum gets attacked personally he/she just sticks their tail between the legs and quit the forum?

If you DO have some issue with something specific I've done or said - contact me at wrenchalot@yahoo.com and I'd like to discuss it (off air) so to speak.

I've been a member of this forum for over a year now. When I first joined I knew little about Toyota or toyotamotorhomes. Three people who have given consistently good and accurate advice, in no particular order are: Maineah, Derek up north and Waiter. I would take to the bank any advice these members offered.

Thank you from me too Fred. I wasn't mentioned but I do have a vested interest in this site and I ask everyone to remember the purpose of this site. We are here to discuss Toyota motorhomes and all things that pertain to that subject. If you want to ignore someone DO NOT RESPOND TO THEIR POSTS.

If you have a personal issue with someone email them privately. This is not the place to bring it up. These private ego battles need to stop NOW

Linda S moderator

No responses to this post. You all know what Im talking about

I really like having my Onan, very handy. If I did not have it at 3K $ I might not get one, but if you have it already I say keep it. With the generator you can also use it for heat, we like the Pelonis B6A1 for both the RV and home.

I dont know Im positive.... not just a little that personal attaccks started with mr magoo calling me little poo poo names lol.

I really have not read most of what he has written, and its pages and pages, because most of it has nothing to do with ...anything.... or toyota motorhomes and its long.

I dont think there ever has been anyone else who has called me names, and I doubt there ever will be another one. So I feel the problem has ended.

I try to treat the forum like I want to read it. Sort of ON TOPIC. Meaning theres a topic, people led to the topic have an interest in part of it. Like this topic, someone might not care about what its about but just wants to read about onan generators. Or solar panels vs whatever. But they almost universally dont want to read about you and where youre from or god knows whatever.

the only thing I focused on when I started using this forum was to sort of consolidate the frequent questions and update them.

the way its worked here, for years is regulars just remember the frequent questions and just lurk here and repeat the answers whether they really know or its up to date.

so at my pace and expense whenever I come across a question i make sure the answer is right and try to consolidate all of that... because I wish when I had the question answered that comprehensively and clearly in the first place there was just an easy answer to click on....

Thats all im interested in from any car forum actually. Theres a social part too if theres a gathering. Its seperated by the topic. This is not the social topic area.

Sorry Linda, I have to jump in.
Stamar: Your very insulting to members who have been on this site for a long time. You've been a member about 8 months and already have posted over 1100 responses. You claim to have read all archived posts and gleaned no useful information. It seems to me you enjoy starting controversy. I bet you're the kind of guy who blames other people for your inadequacies.
I for one am really tired of reading your self-serving posts. If you're so disappointed with the quality of information on this site, I'm sure Yahoo may be a better venue for you.
Give the rest of us a break for awhile.

actually not interested in anything but collecting information. I have a bad habit of responding to posts directed to me though.

and attracting attention from people interested in arguing I guess. I strongly am not interested in that actually.

Well i feel the need to say something since i started this controversial thread.

Fred health first time ive seen you post but i gotta say i perfectly understand what your saying about the 3 people you named they are very helpful and respectful to peoples ideas. people like that are the reason people come back to this site. just straight out friendliness not arguments.

however JD: i understand where your coming from because you try to help someone out by giving like you said advice through expirience,

and you see somebody that is posting things that are irrelevant and innacurate and i do understand your need to correct the situation especially when that same person is verbally attacking you.But for that i recommend you just IGNORE, and you probably wont be the only one ignoring that person.

and as for stamar do us a favor and take fred's advice go post stuff on yahoo dude..

this is an awesome helpful site lets keep it that way.

Recommendations, I've sent personal messages to several on this forum asking them to please refrain from this type of posting on the forums. I will now do it publicly.

My children get into these fighting matches, and after a while I get tired of it and have to put my foot down. Of course, I always hear "He started it". Its been going on now for so long, it simply doesn't make a difference who started it, its getting old and seriously detracting from the quality of this forum.

Please be careful when authoring posts, if you disagree with someone, please choose your words wisely, Calling someone an idiot or telling them their idea is stupid will not gain any points for advancing your idea. For those that care, this language is probably acceptable in a very close, tight relationship where ideas are constantly moved back and forth, but it is not acceptable for a public audience or a total strange.

Please, rather than reply to comments that you consider rude or obnoxious, I will ask that we act like adults sitting across from the table. If someone continues to treat me in a disrespectful manner, as an adult, I have two choices.

1) If I wish to salvage the relationship, I can privately communicate with the person and explain to them what I am seeing, and how I am interpreting their communications. Often, those that are authoring do not realize their writings are being interpreted as rude or disrespectful. and in most cases, a private discussion will resolve this.

2) Although my instinct is to strike back and defend myself, walk away from the table. I mumble to myself, "this guys a total fricking idiot, and I refuse to waste my time or resources bantering with him". Trust me, there are several hundred people that read these posted daily, they know whos the a$$-hole and who is the idiot. There is no need to defend ones self, and the person who walks away is recognized as a true statesman for doing so.

Thank you. I'm hoping this will be the last posting on this subject from everyone. if you wish to comment, please send me a PM.

John Mc

Challenging facts that are ostensibly incorrect hopefully is welcomed on this forum. If not - what is the point of discussing anything technical?

Attacking someone's comments with unsolicited personal digs should not be toleratedj (in my opinion - although I have NO authority here).

I worked many years as a mechanic and electrician. I have also been using solar and camping for a long time. I in no way imply I "know it all" and also know I make mistakes. That being said - a rehash of what I claim to be incorrect statements on this thread. If someone questions my take - why not discuss it with alternative facts?

Comments in this thread I do not agree with (in quotes) . .

"Getting more inverter than you need does waste power that's an easier calculation"

Not universally true. Some large inverters have less standy-by draw and are more efficient then some small inverters. I can name a long list of model #s and specs if wanted.

" theres no way to recharge 3 deep cycles brought to 50% boiling coffee"

Not true in any situation. By definition. a "deep cycle" battery is a battery designed to be discharged to at least 50%.

". . with 1000 watts in solar, the first time you hit 40 minutes instead of four for popcorn you just destroyed six deep cycle batteries"

This comment was about using a microwave oven with a DC to AC inverter and battery bank. 100% incorrect for any consumer-grade inverter on the market.

If you accidentally set the microwave to run 40 minutes - the inverter would automatically turn off when the state of battery discharge got to around 80%.

"a battery powered microwave is sort of a hare brained idea"

I guess that is a matter of opinion for some. It works well for many.

"..all the facts I've ever checked have been totally wrong"

That is NOT a matter of opinion and easily verified or dis-proved.

" Jd rambles about expensive stuff for cabins or whatever"

Again - easily verified or dis-proved by reading. I've mentioned many low-price electronics commonly used in RVs.

"the main difference between a solar powered toyhome and a cabin is everything"

Many 12 volt cabins, trailers, campers, engine-powered RVS, etc. use the same solar technology. A 12 volt solar panel, a 12 volt controller, a 12 volt input inverter, 12 volt lighting, 12 volt refrigeration, etc. are often the same price level, make and model regardless of where used.