Toyota Gypsy camper

framin

three years ago i saw one here in eastern washington state for sale . was a small one 78 or close .never seen again or seen another. i would guess the one i saw to be about a 16 foot at the most.

I stripped a 78 Gypsy a few months ago (was in a junkyard). 18 footer maybe? It had a broken rear axle in it. I robbed the windshield out of it for my 78 (hard to find). Exterior of the RV body was interlocking aluminum (not fiberglass). It had two ID tags on it that said where it was made, but I forget what it read for the RV part. Truck was made in Japan.. Was a 1978 truck body with a 1979 Gypsy RV. In regard to the truck itself- keep in mind that 1978 is the last year of that generation of truck. 1979 and newer they are much different. 1978 frame is narrower, brakes are smaller, brake master cylinder and booster are differentl, front has coil springs instead of torsion bars, etc. I like the 18' size. If it was mine - I wouldn't use it until I swapped a full-floating dually rear in the back.

i stiil think the one we saw was about a sixteen or so because at the time we had the 18 foot minimax to compar it more rear overhang then that gypsy.

Very cute little rig. Nice wide tires on the back. Make sure and check the age. Old tires don't do well on motorhomes even when they have good tread. Nice straight lines on the underside of the overhead section. Drooping is the first thing I look for for water damage. Looks good to me. Love the racheting double bed sections for the walk through in the vid. Much nicer setup than the newer ones.

Linda S

here are some photos

That is a nice camper. I'd love to buy one in that size. That looks exactly like the one that I took the windshield and door hinges out of that sits in a NY junkyard. It was a 78 truck chassis and a 79 RV Gypsy body. Had an odd-ball tag-axle added to the back. I guess the owner must have been nervous with the OEM rear axle and did not know about adding a full-floater?

It only has 56k original miles, and it came w/ a 3ring binder containing the owners manual & cut sheets for all of the appliances. I need to upgrade the axle, but other than that I'm very happy with it.

ps if anyone else has one, I scanned the owners manual, and will share the .pdf.

• 1 year later...

I have one TOO!!!! I would like to have the owners manual... Got it in July of 2013, does not have roof rack,

no back ladder,

no mirrors on the sleeper ledge,

no air conditioner,

the spare tire is on the front.

I do have the front window for the sleeper,

I will have to learn to do photos.

It is 17 feet 3inches long, the front tire makes it 17 feet 8 inches.

I do have a sticker in the closet saying where it was made, have to look again. some place in California

The speedometer is disconnected, so I will eventually get one from J.C. Whitney.

the fuel tank is 15 gallons, my fuel gauge needs to be repaired as it dose not register.

The previous owner did the Weber carb upgrade,,

On mine the propane tank is rusted solid, I cant turn any of the knobs by hand or small pliers. about 5 gallons/20pounds in size.

The previous owner said he bought it from some one in Boise, ID

The reason I accidentally found this page is because I was looking for refrigerator information.

Of all the axle info I found I have found one consistent....under 18 feet in length the stock axle may be fine for pavement use, the problems happen when the length is over 18 feet, and off-roading, and perhaps some towing situations, You would not need to dually it so much,,,as transferring a cut down 3/4 or one ton axle, and keep the same size tires, this will give you bigger back brakes as well,,

I have added

Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bag Helper Springs

to prolong the rear springs I have till I have the money up to replace/upgrade those as well.

For my use this mini motor home is very much worth any upgrade as it is something I can use anywhere anytime,

I have even been playing with the possibility of installing something called a hendershot generator as the money situation improves

I have even been playing with the possibility of installing something called a hendershot generator as the money situation improves

I'd like to suggest you keep your money in your pocket to improve your money situation. Failing that, send me the money to improve my money situation. :)

that is true, I remember things like that working, the soul leaves the body, gets information and comes back, only I was waking up to some ugly toxic emotions,,,,, there are people in this earth realm who have the art of violation perfected....

anyway,,,, to the motor home It says in my closet made by gypsy camper,,,, Compton, Ca 90220

finish date feb 1978.... the propane tank is 7.94 gallons based on that closet sticker...

the refer info I was looking for was there as well I have a norcold de 251 A

my question about it concerns when I turn it on should it be silent or is that humming/grinding sound normal, I turned it off after a few minutes till I find out....