DANGER! Spare Tire Falling Off...need mounting suggestions

Hi,

I have a 1988 Dolphin that came factory equipped with the spare tire mounted directly to the rear fiberglass wall (just above the rear bumper). As us "mirco-mini" folks know, the various manufacturers designed the spare tires to be mounted on the rear, the under carriage suspended with a chain or in some rare cases - no spare at all. I've always felt that the design engineers could have "beefed up" the rear mount design a little stronger. Whenever I am checking out someones Dolphin, the rear mounted tire is something I've grown accustom to always giving a little giggle to see how much life is left in the rear wall. Well unfortunately on myDolphin, my rear wall has finally gotten too wobbley and weak. I have finally become paranoid enough and removed the spare from the rear wall and placed it on the top bunk. I did not want to wait long enough to hit that final bump in the road and have my spare go through someones windshield nor have my camping trip ruined by having my back wall ripped open. Does anyone have any ideas on where I may purchase a rear bumper (square tube for black water hose) mounted spare tire mount? Is it even safe to mount this much weight onto the rear bumper/hose holder? Or, any other ideas...roof mount etc?

Thank You,

Riverman77

I always think the same thing... :) When i was doing my frame, I just added a mount to the receiver hitch mount, up between the bumper and the rear wall. It places the spare in the same spot but it will sit level. I do not have any clear pictures, but here are some from a distance when i was in my buddies shop for my roof fixing. (That chain hoist made the A/C removal easy) I can get you a clear picture if you like.

Andrew.

IMG_2788-1.jpg

IMG_2787.jpg

I have an 88 Dolphin, I have 1/2 plywood (6x6 inside the bathroom cabinet. I have a long bolt that goes thru the wheel from the outside, thru the wall, and on the inside of the bath cabinet, the bolt goes thru the plywood and I put a nut on the bolt. Secures the wheel to the back wall, If I want to remove the wheel, I need to go inside and remove the nut first.

NOTE - Very secure (no wobble) I have a Bicycle rack that mounts on the spare and have no problems with the additional weight hanging on the spare.

John Mc

Mine is the crank chain. As Derek pointed out it was designed for the 5 lug and was too short to hold the huge hole in the center 6 lug. Some folks welded barstock on thiers; my solution (which I like much better because it keeps the wheel clean) was to thread the chain and catch through a 5 lug stainless steel hub cab cover. looks really clean underneath too and matches the wheel simulators.

I wish to thank all 3 of you folks for your replies!

Riverman77

the square tube bumper mount spare tire mount is in the rv catlogs about 35 dollors before the next season i will buy or weld one for same reason

Thanks "5Toyota" for your input.

Are these "square bumper tubes" strong enough to support a tire? And, bumps in the road etc?? I had once read a factory stick on decal, on someone's Dolphin, that said DO NOT mount anything onto the rear bumper. What's your thought on this?

Riverman77

RMan, Mine is made out of sheet metal. can be bent very easy. I don't trust it to hold the weight of a tire, let alone the twisting that would occur.

If your good with an arc welder you might be able to beef it up to the frame and add some structure to it to support a tire. (don't forget to remove the drain hose before you weld on the bumper)

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

A 4x4 square tube is available at most metal supply yard in varying wall thickness . Got one that was 3/16". The hose fit fine , but it took a little grinding to make some notches for the fitting lugs. I found an end caps that fit a 4" tube OD. No flex problems.

mine was beefed up by po recever tube and heavy plates welded under on the sides and center around the recever so i should be ok WAITER MYN IS AS YOU DESCRIBE beefed up

Hey guys thanks for all of the input on this!

One final thought on this thread: Once I've got my bumper tube all "beefed up" and ready to mount on a new tire mount rack, is there a supplier that may stock the correct one for a Dolphin? It is going to need about a 4" outward "S" bend, so as to clear the back fiberglass rear wall.

Riverman77

Edited by Riverman77

I would have your welder build a spare tire holder while he is doing the bumper work. He can cut and weld the bracket that you need. If he knows what he is doing, it will be the best looking custom job you can imagine. It will look alot better than something that is off the shelf and bolted on.

I had my bumper replaced while on vacation last summer. The original formed sheet metal bumper was not strong enough to mount anything to it, not even a light bike rack.